Day 2 and still OK

ChristyC

So, I started my first Whole30 yesterday and I have to admit, I didn't do as much prep as I could have.  

Yesterday morning and this morning I have had dates and an apple for breakfast.  Are the dates a bad idea?  

I made a mix of ground beef (organic) and roasted cauliflower and broccoli that I ate for lunch yesterday and dinner last night.  Any suggestions for an easy sauce to go over a protein and veggie mix?  

My mantra with this is to keep it simple.  I am focusing on just staying away from the items that are not allowed and then doing the best I can.  So, I'm not measuring any foods or paying attention to how much I am eating but, instead paying attention to when I am hungry and satiated.  I am simply focusing on following the rules of the program and not over-thinking or over-complicating anything. 

• Moderators

Do you have the meal template -- all your meals, even breakfast, should be 1-2 palm-sized pieces of protein, 1-3 cups of veggies, and 1-2 thumb-sized portions of fat. Fruit is optional, and while you could have a fist-sized serving at every meal, it's recommended that you limit it to two or fewer servings a day for best results. It's good that you're not measuring or anything, but you'll feel a lot better if you follow the template. Portion recommendations for protein and fat and veggies are minimum requirements -- make sure you're at least eating that much, if you eat more than that, don't worry about it, it's fine. 

If it bothers you not to have typical breakfast food first thing in the morning, I recommend you start thinking of it as Meal 1, not breakfast. You can have eggs, or leftovers, or any protein-fat-veggie combo you like. Soup is a nice way to get some veggies in, especially as we head into fall and the weather starts getting cooler.  But you absolutely shouldn't have just fruit.

Dates are allowed on Whole30, but they're not your best choice. One of the things Whole30 is trying to do is get your body to go from burning carbs for fuel, to using fat for fuel. While you don't need to go super low carb to do that, feeding your body something like dates, especially when they're not a part of a meal with with protein and fat, gives your body super easy carbs to burn, discouraging it from going to fat burning. (This was a really simplified explanation -- It Starts With Food goes into a lot of detail about the science-y stuff, and is a really good read for a lot of the reasoning behind all the rules.)

For sauces, check out The Clothes Make The Girl -- she has a lot of recipes for different sauces. I really liked this Moroccan Dipping Sauce (scroll down, it's at the end of the post, under the chicken recipe).  Or if there's a particular sauce you really like, but it isn't Whole30, google that sauce plus Whole30 and you may find some recipes. And homemade mayo is good on everything. 

Trader Joe's makes a compliant marinara that we use a lot.  It is in a can with a green wrapper.  Just make sure you get the one that does not have sugar listed as an ingredient.

And I will just chime in and say fruit for breakfast = bad idea.  Fruit alone for breakfast = really, really bad idea!  ;)  You will feel SO much better and have better results overall if you follow the protein+fat+veggies in the template.

Thanks for the tips.  I knew that fruit was a bad idea and, not to make excuses, but mornings are a bit crazy with having to get a five year old to school by 7:15 so I can get to work by 8.  With that said, this morning I made an egg, chicken apple sausage (compliant), sweet potato scramble this morning in coconut oil and added a bit of sea salt.  It was delicious - and is tiding me over until lunch.  Since I don't have time in the morning to eat at home, I ate some of it right after I cooked it and packed the rest to eat as soon as I got to my desk.  

I know that this isn't ideal, but I really don't have any additional time.  

I also got to go to the grocery store last night and pick up a few more items and boy is it hard to find some things like sausage with no added sugar.  My grocery store was even sold out of lemon juice so I will have to squeeze some lemons and strain the juice to make the mayonnaise.

The past couple of days of drinking black coffee weren't too bad but today I rebelled and really didn't want it.  Giving up sweeteners is really interesting.  This is the first time that I have ever eliminated artificial sweeteners from my diet and I am pretty excited about it because I have known that I should for a long time.

So, today is Day 3 and I still don't have too much of a hangover feeling but I do feel a bit fuzzy headed and sleepy. My stomach already feels less bloated and uncomfortable but I am craving sweets. 

• Moderators

For breakfast, I like to make a breakfast casserole or egg muffins. I can make them Sunday evening and have them every morning for breakfast. You can put any vegetables you like into it, but I typically do a sweet potato or two, shredded, sausage (if you can find some, or make your own) or whatever meat I have -- ground beef, shredded chicken, whatever you have will work, spinach, and 10-12 eggs. Then I divide it up so I get 2-3 eggs' worth in each serving. You can reheat it, or eat it cold. You probably need some extra veggies with it too and maybe a little extra fat -- but for that you could have carrots and celery sticks with mayo or guacamole. Meatballs or hardboiled eggs are also easy to take and good for breakfast, paired with whatever vegetables sound good. Or just have leftovers from supper -- pack them up the night before, so you can just grab them on your way out the door and heat them up as soon as you get to work. It takes some planning, but you can make sure you have a good breakfast every day, and having a good breakfast will set you up for a good day, while skimping on breakfast can leave you hungry all day and more prone to snack.

Archived