How do you take you coffee?

Luda

Can I ask one question about coffee. I use to drinking coffee black with no sugar but usually I have it with something sweet. Before starting Whole30 I would have 2tbs of almond butter(no sugar, just dry roasted almonds) with my coffee. I was wondering what would be a better choice in terms of nutrition vs sugar: banana, 2 dates or 2 tbs of almond butter or put coconut milk in coffee? 

And one more question if you don't mind. 

In terms of protein is 3 eggs for breakfast is too much protein? I have standard-small palm but I'm afraid I will get hungry with just 2 eggs.

Thank you all very much for help.

My answers are short and sweet:

- on a Whole30, drink your coffee either black or with coconut milk. If you do the latter, blend it with a hand blender or standard blender. Avoid feeding the sugar dragon with fruit.  Almond butter is a slippery slope...

- when eggs are your protein, the serving size is the number of whole eggs you can hold in one hand. For most folks that's 3-4 eggs. I would go with the 3 eggs at breakfast (along with 1-3 cups of veggies and the appropriate amount of compliant fat), and see how long that satiates you. You're aiming for each meal to satiate you for 4-5 hours.

Thank you very much for your reply. 

Yes almond butter is my biggest problem. One of the reasons I'm on Whole30 is to take control of my obsession with constant snacking on nut butters and nuts in general.

Yes almond butter is my biggest problem. One of the reasons I'm on Whole30 is to take control of my obsession with constant snacking on nut butters and nuts in general.

Nuts are a problem for a lot of people. While they are allowed on a Whole30, you might consider dropping them for this period if they are a problem for you.

Part of the Whole30's scope is to help you stop snacking out of habit, and only snack if you're genuinely hungry in between meals.   Being hungry in between can be a sign that your earlier meals aren't big enough, so be sure each meal meets the recommended meal template, and craft them to satiate you for 4-5 hours.  If you do that and you're still hungry in between meals (litmus test: you could eat something bland like steamed fish and broccoli), have a mini-meal containing protein, vegetables and fat. Nuts are a fat source on a Whole30.

Full disclosure, I ate 6 eggs yesterday.   I don't know why I wanted that many.   I had greens, vege, good fats...other things.   My energy level soared through the roof.   I don't do any dried fruits or nut butters....I agree with GFChris.   Don't let the 'snackety' type foods shove the vegetables off your plate.

Yes, I was worried that I have too much protein. I was power-lifting and ate as much as I wanted of protein and nuts. But recently I was injured and have to take it easy. So Whole30 is my way of controlling recovery period and maybe it will help to speed things up. 

This program is actually very liberating. After a meal I can "forget" about food for 4-5 hours and concentrate on other things. Before I would constantly think what else I could snack on, since I would get hungry every hour or so.

• 2 months later...

May I suggest the bitterness in the coffee is the sweet problem. Try finding coffee beans that have been steeped in cold water for over 36 hours. Wandering Bear makes it in New York. Not sure whether they ship as it is a young company but the coffee is delicious and has no need of sweetening.

I don't drink coffee whilst doing whole 30 as can't bear it without milk/cream. I've tried coconut milk, I've tried bullet proof coffee, but just didn't like any of it. Luckily, I gave up caffeine over a year ago, so going without decaffeinated coffee isn't too much of a problem....

I have been using a large tablespoon of coconut oil from Costco mixed in my coffee with an immersion blender. I am thinking of switching it up to add full fat coconut milk or just the cream from the top but I guess I'll have to use the blender for that too.

On a side note I used to use a Nutribullet or magic bullet to blend the coffee but I don't think the high temperature of the coffee helps keep the seal on the blender.

• Administrators

Hi Anthony, I use coconut milk in my coffee every morning.  I empty a can into a mason jar and then just give it a good shake each morning.  If it is a can that clumps solid, that clump dissolves right away in the hot coffee, I haven't found a need for a blender.

When I do coconut oil and coconut milk together and want it creamy and frothy I use a jar much taller than the amount of coffee I have and use my immersion blender.  That works pretty well.  My magic bullet can't deal with the heat pressure either.

Archived