Another littleg log

littleg

• Whole30 Certified Coach

Finished up my W60 last spring.  And although I'm not offroading per se, mentally I'm back in a bad place.  Weighing and measuring everything (myself included!).  Ugh.  I know that if I eat W30 meals I can stop tracking and weighing and still fit into my pants :)  Based on last time my pants won't be much looser... but the time and energy that go into tracking my food... time for that to stop.  

I'm away on vacation until tomorrow evening.  My only non-compliant food in our house is cheese, which I may eat some more of before I start Friday.  But Friday is going to be my day 1.  Hubs has a shopping list for me (he is home) so that when I get home Thurs night I can prep some food for my 12 hr shifts Fri and Sat.

My old log is really helpful for me to come up with some meal plans, so I thought a round 2 log might help too - in case there is a round 3 down the road :)  And also to help with accountability a little.  Nothing like interweb strangers to help with that :)

Be back Friday for Meal 1!

Ok, that didn't go as well as I had hoped.  Need some prep time :)

W30 food items were compliant, portions and combos, not so much.

M0.5 (11 AM): feeling light headed - apple (no time to eat)

M1 (at 1 PM - crazy morning at work): 1/4 lb burger, 2 bananas (small), small container of coconut butter (I use the tiny Penzey's spice containers - fits just about 2 tbsp so its perfect for dressings, nut butters, etc)

M2 - 4 PM: salsa chicken, Thai pumpkin soup, few really small clementines

M3- 2 apples, 2 lbs of grapes (oops...)

I've been in a crazy fruit eating frenzy lately.  2 lbs of grapes for a meal is not unusual.  That is why I'm doing the W30 - gotta get out of this habit.  Basically all I did different yesterday was to not put half and half in my coffee... 

Day 2 isn't going to be much better because I'm off to work in a few minutes and after my 14 hr day yesterday did not do any additional cooking. Food prep tomorrow.  Goal for today: no grapes for dinner - which will be easier since I ate them all last night :)

I know, right?!  But they got me again :(  But I'm off for two days so no more excuses!

Day 2 - 12 hour shift

6 AM - black coffee and seltzer

M1 - 9 AM (better morning at work!) 1/4 lb burger, haricot verts, 2 small bananas, coconut butter

Snack - 1 PM - apple

M2 - 4 PM (ugh) - salsa chicken, Thai pumpkin soup, 5 small clementines

M3 - 8:30 - 2 apples, 2 lbs grapes

Day 3

Ok, food prep time.  No more 2 lbs of grapes for dinner!  Off to get sucked into the interwebs and find recipes!

Coffee 

5 mile trail run

M1 - 2 PM: tuna (2 cans, 1 whole avocado, squirt of mustard, dried shallots), big scoop of cran/cherry sauce over a big mixed salad with the last few drips of oil and vinegar dressing

M2: at in laws where choices are limited and I was STARVING.  4 small apples, 1 handful of raisins, 1 banana (eaten over ~2 hrs)

M3 - 7 PM: apple, thai pumpkin soup, 1/4 lb burger, frozen mango with coconut milk and some raisins and one little chunk of hard coconut butter 

Day 4

Korean brisket for 4 meals is ready to go.  3 1/4 lb burgers cooked rare and ready to be reheated.  Ingredients around for more Thai pumpkin soup.  Roasted beets and roasted kobucha squash.  Dozen HB eggs.  Fridge is stocked :)

M1 - 9 AM: 2 HB eggs, pre WOD 

M2 - Noon: 1/4 lb burger, 2 big tomatoes with balsamic vinegar and seasoned salt, bowl of steamed French green beans, 2 bananas with coconut butter

Snack - 1 apple, munched on baby carrots while cooking, 2-3 clementines too

M3 - big salad with 1 grilled chicken breast, handful of cubed roasted sweet taters, 3 clementines, broiled eggplant (3 Asian eggplants).  Still hungry ended up eating 1 more apple and a few more clementines.  Definitely under ate in the AM.  Bowl of frozen mango with some coconut milk and handful of raisins.  

Day 5.  Working 3-11 today.  Munchies are always BAD for this shift.  Really want to break the habit of needing to eat when I leave work.  It is totally mental and a "ahhh, I'm done with my day - time to reward myself and eat!" thing.  Very ingrained.  Almost seems too hard to break.

M1 - 9 AM - 1/4 burger, French green beans (steamed), 2 small bananas and coconut butter

Noon WOD - 5 egg whites, 1 c kobucha squash with a spoonful of coconut milk and some ginger

Work 3-11.

M2 - Korean brisket and Thai pumpkin soup 

My patient was having a hard time keeping is O2 sats up last night, had to call a rapid, no time to eat until 10 PM when I really didn't want my dinner...  

Ate an orange at work and then bought... grapes on the way home.  At midnight I ate: 1.5 lbs grapes, 2 apples, too many handfuls of raisins and a spoonful of coconut butter.  Add a few spoonfuls of honey.  Time to restart.  Sigh.

BUT on the bright side... there were totally amazing smelling cookies around yesterday (some vendor brought them) and I didn't have a single one.  I almost did.  But I didn't.

For the next month I'm back on days for a while. I gotta figure something out with this late night eating.  Ugh, really frustrated right now.  

Restart Day 1

Black coffee

Noon wod - nothing after - I need some compliant proteins to bring with me.  TJ seems to not have Applegate roast beef - that was my go to.  Stayed to catch up with a friend until almost 2... 

M1 - 3 PM big salad with scoop of roasted beets, diced red pepper, 2 carrots, scoop of cran-cherry sauce and tuna salad (2 cans, 1/2 avocado)

Not sure what I'll eat later.  Not super hungry today.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, tough getting started this time.  I seem to be in the swing of things now.  I think I'm on day 4 or 5 of compliant-ness.  I know for a fact I've had three good days so I'll go with today being day 4.  

5 AM - coffee, HB egg

6 AM - WOD

10 AM M 1: 3 eggs, 2 whites, 1/2 harlequin squash roasted with some ghee, creamed spinach

Day 5

12 hr shift

Coffee before work

M1 - creamed spinach, turkey sausage, roasted delicata squash (OMG <- LOVE LOVE LOVE these)

M2 - thai pumpkin soup, Asian meatballs with 1/4 c coconut milk, sliced red pepper

Snack - 2 HB eggs, apple

M3 - grapes.  I know.  Not great, but I just feel better going to bed after fruit than after a real meal when I have to eat dinner just before bed.  I can not eat dinner at work before leaving and I get home at 8:30 and am in bed by 9.  For now I'm going to go with it.  Lots of veggies and protein at other meals so 2 days a week it will have to be ok.  I'm NOT going to let this become a pattern again for every day though :)

Day 6 

12 hr shift

Coffee before work

M1 1/3 Asian meatball recipe, creamed spinach, roasted delicata squash

M2 Thai pumpkin soup, yellow pepper, salsa chicken

Snack - apple, 2 HB eggs

M3 - 2 small apples, grapes

8 hr shift today.  Plan to have a normal dinner :)

Day 7

M1 - turkey breakfast sausage, 1/2 harlequin squash, creamed spinach

M2 - red pepper, shredded bbq chicken, cran/cherry sauce

M3 - orange chicken, cauliflower fried rice, big salad with 2 clementines

Snacked on too many clementines, bowl of mango with coconut, bowl of banana with coconut and raisins <-too much  

Day 8 

Pre WOD - 2 HB eggs

Post WOD - 1/2 harlequin squash, turkey burger - out running around, never had time for lunch

M1/2/3 big salad with roasted beets, 3 clementines, turkey burger

Grapes

So here is what I'm noticing.  I feel blch the mornings after a "real" dinner.  Its like all those veggies just sit in my gut and ferment or something.  I feel bloated and full and just generally gross when I get up.  BUT if I eat fruit and protein for dinner I feel much better.  Its as though the fruit and protein get digested but the massive fiber bombs that are dinner on W30 aren't working for me.  

I do eat LOTS of veggies during the day so I'm not super worried about not getting them in at night but I also do like to eat real dinners.  Not sure what to do with this...

Archived