Day 8 - Feeling Dip in Energy @ 30 min mark of my work out

G00d4U

Hi -- this is my first Whole30, I am on Day 8 and have noticed that at about the 20-30 minute mark of my workouts, I am out of energy (a little shaky, spent, no gas).  I am eating chopped liver as my pre-work out meal (protein and fat), about 1 oz, and starchy veg and no fat protein (turkey or chick) ... small amount.  I do lots of different work outs...intervals, circuit training, long walks/hikes, spin class.

Here is my question:  will my energy stabalize later in the program so that I can finish my workouts with energy?  Do I need to be eating something different pre-work out for more energy?

I don't know how much weight I have lost but a pants size literally flew off my body this week -- crazy!

Just to be sure I'm reading that right above...you are doing about 1 oz of chopped liver pre-workout and then post workout you are doing starchy vegetable and lean protein correct?

In the first two weeks of W30 it is pretty normal to feel like you are hitting the wall in your workouts as your body adapts from being a sugar burner to a fat burner. Pre-workout nutrition is most important when you workout first thing in the morning or after a long 4-5 hours time without eating. If this is the content of your pre-workout meal you might need a bit more than that but the meal isn't really about giving you workout energy as much as keeping your hormones balanced with proper food timing (from my understanding). 

The lack of energy will go away, but the timing is different for everyone - anything from a week to 4 weeks (usually around the 2 week mark people start to feel more perky, though).

Just stick with it, and maybe cut down on your training volume a little bit until you have more energy - the energy will come from your body switching to fat burning, rather than glycogen.

Archived