Gagging at the amount of meat

Simoneg

Hi all 

After seeing 'morbid obesity' on my chart at gyno - I was devastated. I know I had put on quite a few lbs but 'morbid obesity'? It was so wounding. I cryed all night. I know that even if you're 40 lbs overweight you're called morbidly obese but still.... those words....

Granted if I tell ppl I'm 80 lbs overweight they think I'm lying. I'm a smidge over 200 but when I started this dang stressful job I was 120. Anyway, I decided to do something about it - enter ISWF. I LOVE the book and what it says. I know that there is just dead food out there. My only problem is that I am absolutely gagging on all the meat. I literally cannot stomach 4-6 oz of meat at every meal. I am getting to the point where I am having to force it down my throat so I am not enjoying any of my meals. I'm staying at around 4 oz. but it is beyond painful to swallow it. Just the smell of chicken or beef makes my physically ill. Literally. I get so nauseous that I lose any appetite I may even be able to muster up. I am not hungry at all. I literally have to force myself to eat and my meals are getting smaller and smaller bc it's become agonizing to eat. I never thought I would say this. Is anyone feeling this way? I'm not a great cook but I've used the sauces and spices and ....just thinking about eating right now makes me shudder. Am I doing something wrong? Is anyone else feeling like this? I love the flavor meat brings to any dish but this is just becoming too much for me. I'm feeling very discouraged because eating used to be fun and now I just dread it. It's only been 2 weeks and if this continues ...well....I just don't know what I'll do. Do you think eating this way will work if I eat only when I really feel like it? I just can't seem to stomach 3 meals a day. I'm good with some nuts and maybe 1 to 1.5 meals a day but small meals. Any input would be great 

• Moderators

How you are feeling is common enough that Dallas and Melissa wrote an article about it: http://whole9life.com/2013/02/eating-meat-a-primer-for-the-meat-challenged-2/

You might also want to read this article about digestive enzymes. If you have been eating a lot less meat in the past, your stomach may not be efficient at digesting protein and you might need some help. 

http://whole9life.com/2012/09/digestive-enzymes-101/

Thank you for replying

I think I can digest it just fine. My body does seem to be loving the fact that I'm not hungry always wondering what I can eat next, I have no heartburn, no bloating, my stomach is getting flatter, my sleep is great, but I do have a great deal of lethary which makes it difficult after 13 hours at work to stand at my stove and cook another meal of...meat. 

My problem is that I literally cannot stand the smell of the meat any more. I could not even eat dinner last night. As much as my body feels lighter -  while I'm eating I feel so heavy. Like I said I could not even finish my lunch yesterday and I was still so nauseated from the thought of putting one more bite of meat in my mouth last night that I couldn't even fathom eating a thing so I went to bed w/out eating at all. Of course, I feel like a failure again. I tried to get up this morning and eat an egg and a few of the Czech Meatballs I made earlier in the week with some tomatoes, but again, i just did not feel like more eggs and meat. It's almost like when I was pregnant 20 years ago. The smell of chicken or a baked potato would have me running to the restroom. It's totally crazy!! I just wonder if anyone has ever felt this way before? 

The act of cooking and the smell seem to be 2 big triggers that stand out in your posts.

Maybe try cooking bigger batches at once, like in a crock pot.  Then shred the meat and have it ready-to-go in the fridge.  I'm not meat-averse myself, but I would think that cold, shredded, and seasoned might help.

Maybe try mixing your meat into things, instead of eating it separately. So mix ground beef with similarly-sized cooked veggies. Or cook up a big batch of, say, chicken breasts in the crock pot, shred them in your stand mixer (less work for you, and less smelling too), and mix shredded chicken with a bunch of cooked veggies (can anyone say Paleo Pad Thai from Well Fed?). Again, the trick is to make the meat's texture/shape similar to the veggies. The Pad Thai recipe includes spaghetti squash tendrils and sliced snap peas...similar to the stringy texture of the chicken.

Archived