Serving size

Khrystyna

I just finished Day 3 and I'm still slightly unclear on the portion size guidelines. Can someone please tell me what 1 thumb size portion equates to in teaspoons. As for protein, grams or ounces would be helpful as I'm unclear if the size of my palm is referencing the thickness, the actual size or both of the protein. In general if the serving size guidelines could be converted to a metric system it might make it easier for beginners.

Thanks in advance and have a healthy day!

• Moderators

The point of doing the measurements the way they do them is, at least in part, to keep people from measuring things. They don't have to be exact, just close. It also emphasizes that portion sizes differ from person to person -- a 5'2" person with small hands will need less food than a 6'4" person with larger hands.

If I had to guess, I'd say a thumb-size portion of oil is probably a tablespoon or so -- but feel free to use a little more if you want to, as long as you use at least that much. And stuff that you use to cook with doesn't count unless you actually make sure that it ends up in the food you eat -- in other words, something like fried eggs where the oil all stays in the pan, that oil doesn't count. You need extra on top of that.

For protein, it means the length, width, and depth of your palm. So mine looks like it's about 3" by 3.5" by 1" maybe? They really don't want you to weigh and measure your foods, but it's probably going to be anywhere from 3-6 ounces for one palm of protein, depending on how big your palm is. And again, be sure you meet the minimum on the template, but if you go over a bit, it's fine.

Veggies, the standard recommendation I've seen around the forum is from 1-3 cups of veggies per meal.

You'll know you're doing it right if you can easily go about five hours between meals without feeling hungry. If you can't, you'll need to play with portion sizes, especially of fat and protein as those are what will keep you satiated.

Thank you ShannonM816 for clarifying, especially in regard to fat consumption. I was under the impression that the fat that I was cooking with would suffice. Clearly, I'm still trying to get the hang of whole30 but your feedback is very much appreciated.

Archived