Luda's Whole30 Log

Luda

Few Modifications to my Diet to improve my weight loss:

- replace ground beef with ground turkey for breakfast

- no beef stew for a bit (chicken, turkey, fish: salmon or cod)

- remove coconut oil from coffee and 1/3 of cup of coconut milk

- limit to 2 cups of coffee a day

- scale down to 1/4 avocado at each meal (maybe 1/2 for breakfast still)

- max one fruit a day

- no nuts

And one more large modification I have to do for myself: I have to weight myself. I know they insist on avoiding scale but this didn't work for me. I need to see the results of my diet (good or bad) to make adjustments. I ignored scales for 25 days and it was a disaster.  

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 3 (no nuts, no fruits, just 27 days to go like that):

Breakfast: big omelet (3 eggs, ground turkey,  spinach, scallions), cucumbers, 1/2 avocado, olives, cup of coffee with 1/3 cup of coconut milk

Lunch/Pre-Workout Meal: salad (cabbage mix, butternut squash, wild caught salmon, 1/4 avocado, olive oil, AC vinegar), 2  cups of coffee with coconut milk

Post-Workout Meal: egg whites, butternut squash, olives

Thoughts:

- Doing a bit better concerning food choices

- So easy not to eat nuts when they are out of the house.

- Read a lot about starchy vegetables, butternut squash is one of them. I have to watch out not to overeat it.

- Weight  - 64.5 kg

Hi - I've never posted to the forum before, but I just wanted to say I really enjoy reading all the logs, yours especially! I noticed a lot of similar thoughts regarding snacks and frustration between our experiences. Sorry to see you had to restart! But cut yourself some slack! I'm going on my third year after losing about 20 lbs (healthier, but still battle horrible binge eating), and I still find that I have soo much to learn about healthy eating habits.

I just wanted to share a few thoughts I had when reading your blog.

1. Its great to identify your weaknesses and splurges, but I say relax. Trigger foods should be avoided, but I snacked the whole first week of this 2nd Whole 30 attempt. Its frustrating for sure, but I found focusing Week 1 on JUST shifting my diet to compliant foods is enough of a challenge for me. I vowed Week 2 and Week 3 to work on snacking... One problem at a time.

2. I was PMSing my Week 1 & 2, craving every sweet I could so I overate every compliant protein, veggie, fat I could. Don't know why it took me so long, but I realized my body really just needs starches. And DAILY. I also work out pretty regular, and starches are key for muscle repair. I have since bought pounds of sweet potatos to eat every day. Once I did that, my need for overeating at meals and snacks seemed to lessen. Weird how that solved all my hunger cravings. 

3. Just a quick note about post workout snacks. Try and avoid any fats, ie egg yolks, olives, avocado. I'm only a light nutrition reader, but I have read about how fat slows the absorption of nutrients. When you are eating a protein and carb snack after work out, you want it to be absorbed into your damaged muscles as soon as possible.

Good luck with your round two! Hope it's a little easier this time!

Kate,

Thank you so much for such a supportive message. Your weight loss results are just amazing. Did you loose it while doing Whole30? 

I felt very discourage when I saw my results. I hope this time around I will make more mindful and educated food choices. I definitely feel that 30 days is not enough for me to make this way of eating a habit or at least close to a habit. It is still a struggle, especially at dinner time. But I learned so much about food, about my body and my relationships with food. This is great experience. I am so glad I came across this program.

1. Thank you for this. I read some other logs and sometimes it feels that I'm the only one  having problem with desire to eat nuts/fruits and snack a lot. I got rid of nuts from my house and will try to keep myself from running to the store buying them (will have to eat before going grocery shopping).

2. You are right, I will add more starches this time. I love butternut squash and spaghetti squash not bad too. Sweet potatoes are like a candy for me  :)

3. You are right again. I've read couple days ago about post-workout meal, that it should contain protein and carbs but no fat. But after workout my brain completely forgot about everything I've read   :)

Day 3 (so much yet to learn about food):

Breakfast: big omelet (3 eggs, ground turkey,  spinach, scallions), cucumbers, 1/2 avocado,  cup of coffee with 1/3 cup of coconut milk

Lunch: 1/2 butternut squash, 1/2 ground turkey with portobello mushrooms

Pre-Workout Meal: salad (cabbage mix, 2 chicken legs, cucumber, 1/4 avocado, olive oil, AC vinegar),   cup of coffee with coconut milk

Post-Workout Meal: egg whites, butternut squash, ground turkey, grapefruit, few pieces of apple

Post-Post Workout Meal: 1 hardboiled egg, 5 olives

Thoughts:

- Just one thought for today: Feeling great making all the good food choices. I wish I could do it all the time.

- Weight  - 64.1 kg

Day 5 (morning workouts are the best):

Pre-Workout Meal: omelet (2 eggs, ground turkey,  spinach, scallions), 1/2 avocado,  cup of coffee with 1/3 cup of coconut milk

Post Workout Meal: pieces of chicken breast with cauliflower rice, black tea

Lunch: 1/2 cup of butternut squash, 1/2 cup of ground turkey with portobello mushrooms,  cabbage mix, cup of coffee with 1/3 cup of coconut milk

Snack: 100 gr kiwi

Dinner(out): chicken salad (kale, onions, apple, chicken, olive oil)

Thoughts:

- The hardest part about Saturday morning workout is convince yourself that it is worth it and get yourself out of the bed.

- But what a great way to start weekends. I always have such a great mood after working out in the morning.

- Weight  - 63.9 kg

Discoveries:

- I found very tasty raw cabbage mix in Trader's Joe: brussels sprouts, white cabbage, red cabbage, broccoli, kale. It goes very well with AC vinegar (or lemon juice) and olive oil. I'm not a big fan of these vegetables separately but somehow when they are mixed it tastes much better. Instead of buying this mix I will buy all the ingredients and make this at home. 

- I found that adding few olives to any meal adds more state and flavor. There is one compliant kind in Trader's Joe but it is a bit too salty and pricy. If you eat olives what kind do you buy? Is it safe to buy from salad bar in grocery stores (some don't write ingredients)? 

- Also I want to add sauerkraut to my food list. I recently read about many health benefits of sauerkraut. In my country sour cabbage is very common and I ate it a lot during winter but never tried it in US. It looks a bit different from what I use to. Do you have any kind or brand of sauerkraut you like?

Day 6 (is this how tiger blood suppose to feel?):

Breakfast/Pre-Workout Meal: omelet (2 eggs, ground turkey,  spinach, scallions), 1/2 avocado

Post-Workout Meal: roasted chicken leg with cauliflower rice, 1/2 avocado, coffee with 1/3 cup of coconut milk, 1lb of strawberries.

Lunch:  spaghetti squash, ground turkey, 2 tomatoes, olives, grapefruit, coffee with 1/3 cup of coconut milk

Dinner: butternut squash, roasted chicken

Thoughts:

- Went for a short run in the morning, feels great to be outside, weather is just too perfect.

- I like that I can have extra meal when I workout out, it feels a bit like cheating  ;) and extra motivation to workout. 

- Seriously, I feel a bit too good, probably this what they described as tiger blood.

- I know PMS is coming and I might again feel tired and cranky but I will enjoy this feeling as long as it lasts.

- Had a bit too much fruit today and starches today, probably because feel a bit sleepy.

- Weight  - 63.5 kg

Day 7 (what happened?):

Breakfast: big omelet (3 eggs, ground turkey,  kale, scallions), 1/2 avocado, coffee with 1/3 cup of coconut milk, grapefruit

Lunch:  spaghetti squash, roasted chicken, coffee with 1/3 cup of coconut milk

Dinner: fruits and nuts , lots of both

Thoughts:

- After previous load on starches and fruits, weight went up. 

- But today got worse, I was hungry old day for something sweet. 

- Weight  - 63.7 kg

Day 7 (back on track):

Breakfast/Pre-Workout Meal: 2 hardboiled eggs, cucumber, 2 cups of coffee with 1/3 cup of coconut milk

Lunch/Post-Workout Meal: roasted chicken breast with spaghetti squash and cabbage mix, olives, cucumber, coffee with 1/3 cup of coconut milk, apple

Dinner: big salad(2 hard boiled eggs, arugula, kale, ground turkey, 1/4 avocado, scallions, AC vinegar)

Thoughts:

- Had an intense morning workout, needed to burn calories from yesterdays feast. 

- Wasn't hungry all day, but made myself to have lunch and dinner, so not to go on the binge next day.

- I felt yesterday that it wasn't  hunger but simply boredom and tiredness from homeworks. And I didn't stop myself as I felt I did better job when I am constantly snacking. 

- Weight  - didn't want to weight myself in the morning, I knew it will be a disaster after yesterdays binge on nuts and fruits.

Day 8 (just calm and relaxed Wednesday here):

Breakfast: big omelet (3 eggs, ground turkey,  kale, scallions), 1/2 avocado, 2 cups of coffee with 1/3 cup of coconut milk

Lunch: big salad(2 hard boiled eggs, arugula, kale, olives, roasted chicken breasts, 1/2 avocado, scallions, AC vinegar), coffee with 1/3 cup of coconut milk, 2 apples

Dinner: butternut squash, ground turkey, 30 gr. of nuts

Thoughts:

- No workout today, just walking to the university. 

- I noticed today that color and complexity of my skin has improved. 

- I've read that quality of sleep should improve as well. I haven't notice that yet. I have hard time falling asleep and wake up few times at night. Maybe when semester is over I can work on reducing amount of caffein.

- Weight  - 63.8 kg. 

Day 9 (long day):

Breakfast/Pre-Workout Meal: big omelet (3 eggs, ground turkey,  kale, scallions), 1/2 avocado,  cup of coffee with 1/3 cup of coconut milk

Post-Workout Meal: 3 egg whites, butternut squash, ground turkey, black coffee. 

Lunch: big salad(2 hard boiled eggs, arugula, kale, olives, 2 chicken legs, 1/2 avocado, scallions, AC vinegar), coffee with 1/3 cup of coconut milk, 2 apples

Dinner: butternut squash, 2 chicken legs, 2 apples, cup of coffee

Thoughts:

- Very long day today, hence used coffee and fruits to keep me going.

- Went for morning workout, I start to think that morning workouts are such a nice way to start a day.

- My husband likes nuts and buys it occasionally. It is so difficult for me resist when it is in the house.

- Saw in the movie people eating peanut butter (or some nut butter), wanted to drive immediately to the store and buy and eat whole jar. Here is some powerful addiction.

- Weight  - 63.6 kg. 

Day 10 (shopping/cooking/eating day):

Breakfast: huge omelet (3 eggs, extra ground turkey,  lots of spinach, mushrooms), 1/2 avocado,  cup of coffee with 1/3 cup of coconut milk, 2 kiwi

Meal/Snack: 2 chicken legs, olives, black tea, apple. 

Lunch: big salad(2 hard boiled eggs, spinach, cabbage mix, wild caught salmon, 1/2 avocado, scallions, AC vinegar), coffee with 1/3 cup of coconut milk

Snack: cashews, rasberries

Dinner: cabbage mix, chicken liver, scallions

Thoughts:

- Woke up today to almost empty refrigerator, after breakfast it became completely empty

- Did lots of grocery shopping (huge fun) and lots of cooking (moderate fun)

- We got first snow yesterday. Winter is coming as well as PMS.

- It would be interesting to see if my diet has any effect on PMS symptoms.

- Weight  - 62.8 kg. 

Day 11 (PMS is here):

Breakfast/Pre-Workout Meal: big omelet (3 eggs, ground turkey, kale, scallions), 1/2 avocado,  coffee with 1/3 cup of coconut milk

Post-Workout Meal: roasted chicken breast, spaghetti squash, cherry tomatoes, coffee with 1/3 cup of coconut milk, apple. 

Lunch: butternut squash, chicken liver, kale, apple, coffee with 1/3 cup of coconut milk

Pre-Diner Meal: butternut squash, ground turkey, olives, apple

Dinner: chicken liver, 1/2 avocado, tomato, nuts

Thoughts:

- Probably because of PMS felt hungry today all day, hence so much food. Luckily, I cooked yesterday lots of good and healthy food, so I have many choices to reach for in times of overwhelming PMS craving.

- Also had some cravings for cheese, chocolate and just whole jar of almond butter. My dream is to eat nothing but just nut butter and coffee all day. Seriously I'm nuts about nuts.

- At least emotionally I feel better than my last PMS (at least for now). 

- Weight  - 62.9 kg. 

Day 12 (could be better):

Breakfast: big omelet (3 eggs, ground turkey, kale, scallions), 1/2 avocado, cucumbers,  2 cups of coffee with 1/3 cup of coconut milk, apple

Lunch: big salad(2 hard boiled eggs, cabbage mix, chicken liver, olives, AC vinegar), coffee with 1/3 cup of coconut milk

Snack: kiwi

Dinner: ground turkey, spaghetti squash, cherry tomatoes, kale, coffee with 1/3 cup of coconut milk, apple

After Dinner: pieces of chicken breast, butternut squash, olives, 1/4 avocado. 

Thoughts:

- I can definitely tell that PMS symptoms are so much milder than the last time. Even though I have stronger appetite and some cravings but my mood overall is so much better. 

- Even weight gain on the scale doesn't bother me. I know how I feel and I feel just perfect. 

- I wanted to apologize to anyone who doesn't approve of my approach with weighting myself everyday against program's rule. I don't like to do calories counting and scales is my way of roughly approximating what is going on. I know this number is not everything and like today I simply ignore it.

- Weight  - 63.7 kg. 

Have a huge craving for something sweet. Wanted to write it here, hoping it will go away while I'm writing. Evenings during PMS are the worst. Especially when I have lots of work to finish. And cannot go to the gym to distract myself.

This week will be rough: lots of work, exams and PMS, seriously why exams always coincide with my PMS? And I need to do very well on them as last one was so-so. 

Baking tomorrow lots of sweet potatoes and butternut squash to keep me from running for chocolate. 

At least my mood is better this time.

Archived