Keeping Calm and Carrying On

GoJo09

After making it 50 days each, April and I are planning to carry on with a slow rolling reintro and Whole 9 lifestyle.

Today, I'm heading to a food truck picnic with friends. And then on to the best ice cream place in town (they make the icecream on the spot when you order, using liquid nitrogen) - it's not healthy at all. This morning, I was planning to have something meat based from the food trucks and then indulge in icecream - today's flavour is Kit Kat Crack (my fave chocolate bar + corn flakes + gelato? Yes, please!). But then as I was in the kitchen at work someone said to me "Have you lost weight?" and someone else said "yeah, you have". So now I'm thinking that this is finally (finally!) starting to have some effect, and do I want to step off the tracks, if even for just one night, and risk upsetting the apple cart. Anyway, I'll decide later based on how I'm feeling.

I swam 1200m last night, which is pretty good since it was my first swim since March. Was pretty tired afterwards though, and still had to get home, have dinner, go to the shops, take out the rubbish, bake cupcakes, do the dishes...all while my flatmate sat there watching DVDs.

Today's plan:

Coconut cocoa (this is just cocoa powder and coconut cream - bitter but creamy)

Breakfast: 2 fried eggs, roast lamb, cucumber, capsicum and sugar snap peas

1hr walk,with a chai cacao almond milk latte in the middle

Lunch: osso bucco, spinach and capsicum

Dinner: food trucks - planning on pulled pork buns (without the bun), plus whatever salad I buy at lunch time

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used this recipe http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2014/04/02/slow-cooker-osso-buco-stew/ but used osso buco cut beef. I don't actually love it (I've yet to love anything I've made in the slow cooker, I much prefer the taste when they're slow cooked in the oven, but convenience wins sometimes), but it's perfectly edible - I did use a tin of tomatoes rather than fresh, so that might be the issue.

Good morning,

I had a day off exercise yesterday, going to my fitness class this am.  I felt really good yesterday and had a lot of energy.  Good news for me that the tequila I had the night before didn't sidetrack me. I am  still perfectly happy w W30 foods, no desire for any food off the plan.  And stayed on plan yesterday.  I am leery of getting back into the habit of a glass of wine every night.  I just don't want that life.  I would like a drink on occasions when out w friends, but I do not want the habit of relaxing after work w wine every night.  ugh.  So far so good.

B:  eggs, sausage, cabbage, butternut squash

L:  leftovers from breakfast plus leftover shepherd's pie, one Rx bar (only one today!  :-))

D:  Kombucha, Leftover cowboy chili, half avocado, a few pecans (found another jar in the freezer)  decaf w coconut cream

My college age daughter is coming home for the weekend.  I will send a few Rx bars and all the pecans back with her.  It just makes life easier.

How were the food trucks?  Did you actually eat ice cream?

Book publisher sounds interesting.  Are you a big reader?  Do you know of David Gillespie?  He is an Aussie who wrote Sweet Poison.  I love that book.  He is a lawyer who researched weight loss and nutrition and decided to quit sugar.  It is a good book.

But then as I was in the kitchen at work someone said to me "Have you lost weight?" and someone else said "yeah, you have". So now I'm thinking that this is finally (finally!) starting to have some effect, and do I want to step off the tracks, if even for just one night, and risk upsetting the apple cart. Anyway, I'll decide later based on how I'm feeling.

The suspense is killing me!  :D  Did you have Kit Kat Crack or not?  haha

Seriously, though, I am so happy for you on this quote.  ^  I know it shouldn't matter what anyone else thinks, etc, etc, but we are such bad judges of ourselves and our own progress.  When someone ELSE notices AND comments, you know that all of your efforts are really paying off.  Congratulations!

My hope for you is that, if you did enjoy the ice cream, you will be able to make it fully back on track today and feel in control of yourself.  That is the part I struggle with... ice cream screws with me mentally, and that is why I haven't had any yet, even though I am also on a slow roll now.

LOL, yes, I had the ice cream - well, we went to the shop and they had a Balsamic Blueberry and Macadamia option so I decided to skip the choc and gluten laden Kit Kat Crack and try that. And it was a disappointment (not balsamic tasting at all. My friend said the Kit Kat one was too - it was just choc gelato, choc topping with wafers wedged in to it, and a syringe full of choc ganache). Plus the pork belly on rice I got from the food trucks was a little tough, so all round it was a very average food night (friends were good though). Plus, I got home and my joints and hands had swollen so I struggled to get my bangles off, so that's a pretty good sign not to bother with dairy for a while.

Was feeling fine this morning, no sugar cravings, but definitely fat cravings. As soon as I've hung out some washing I'll go out for a walk or something - get out of the house (I might go to the gym later). Plus I messaged a friend to see if she wants to go swimming this weekend, since the sun is shining. Def committing to Whole 30 for the next week.

April, I think that wine is probably worse for cravings than spirits, so maybe try to stick to that? Did you see Melissa's latest Dear Melissa post? Good plan to offload the Rx bars - they're for long rides/hikes, not everyday :).

Today's plan:

Breakfast - the last of the osso buco (finally!) over some of yesterday's salad that I didn't really like. Plus a peppermint tea.

Coconut cocoa (fat! slightly sweet fat - maybe that's what I was after?)

I don't have a firm plan for the rest of the day - depends if I go and get groceries or not. I am keen to get outside though, even if just for a walk.

My husband is out of town this weekend.  Somehow that always feels like vacation to me. :)   I went out to dinner with my 3 kids.  It was fun to catch up.  I chose to have some wine, ate W30 compliant food and said 'no' to dessert.  My son stopped at our favorite bakery on the way home.  It was pie night.  He brought home several choices including one of my favorites.  I considered having just a taste, but decided it wasn't worth it to me.  I just didn't want it and didn't want to start down that path.  Also I'd already had a treat i.e. the wine.  So I had a cup of decaf w coconut cream and an rx bar instead.  This situation would have been a huge problem for me in the past so I am really happy to see progress.

I know I can have something like that if I want it, but I value the freedom to say no more highly.  I am too close to the old habits to risk it.

545 workout

B:  chicken thigh, cauliflower and mushroom soup.  rx bar

L:  shrimp, pineapple Rx bar

D:  trout, tiny bit of spinach and  roasted red potatoes, red wine

S:  decaf w coconut cream Rx bar.

Yes, I know, too many Rx bars.  It was a crazy day, barely had time to eat B and L and was hungry after,  so I ate the bar.  Dinner you already know, I dodged a land mind in the dessert choices and that was my safety net.  Don't worry, I'm sending the rest of the bars back to college w my daughter.  

Its cold and rainy here this morning.  Hoping for a bike ride this afternoon.  Have a great weekend. 

April

I know I can have something like that if I want it, but I value the freedom to say no more highly.  I am too close to the old habits to risk it.

This is perfect!

Well, that ice cream haunted me all day yesterday - I ate everything in sight. At least it was all Whole 30 compliant, but that's about all I can say for it. I just felt this compulsion to eat and eat and eat. I don't know if it was the ice cream or the dairy, or maybe a combo, but it wasn't worth it and I won't be doing it again for a good long while.

I did go for a long walk in the morning, and then walked out again to the shops, but otherwise had a very lazy day (my friend didn't end up going swimming, and I wasn't motivated to go by myself).

I have no plan for today, really, either. There is a village festival on today, but I don't actually know where it is - great job advertising, local council! I think it might be just round the corner, so I'll go and check that out.

It's gorgeous and sunny again here, although it's supposed to be rainy again for the next few days, so I should make the most of it.

Hi GoJo

It was a fact finding experience and now you know!  Good job on putting together cause and effect and on returning to healthy food right away.

I just did a little shopping yesterday and tidied up around the house.  I made lamb shanks for dinner using the recipe link you sent.  I followed your advice and cooked them in the oven.  They were so good!  Really delicious.  Still on vacation mode, husband not home yet. :)   My kids were all home for dinner.  It was such a pleasant evening.

B:  Bulletproof coffee, some pistachios and an apple

L:  Shrimp and cauliflower soup

D:  Lamb shanks, potatoes, squash, pecans, red wine, apple, rx bar.

OK, wine 2 nights in a row.  I'm not having any tonight. Also, sending the no brakes food back to school with my daughter.   I am going to a cyclocross race in a city about 2 hrs away.  I'm thinking I need to pack my lunch and a Kombucha for when every has beer.

Wish me luck (and courage!)

Oh I love lamb shanks! Sounds delicious. I think you can put those Rx bars firmly in the too convenient category! I can't get them here but they just sound like they'd be far too easy to convince myself to eat. Sounds like you had a lively weekend with just your kids :-).

Definitely take a kombucha with you - a much more satisfying alternative than sparkling water!

Back to normal meals for me today - breakfast and lunch were fine but then I just ate a giant pile of shredded pork all afternoon. My stomach actually hurt from eating so much. I don't know if that can be blamed on the lingering effects of the ice cream though...

Today's plan:

Breakfast (will depend if I'm actually hungry) eggs, bacon and spinach OR bulletproof chai

Gym

Lunch beef stew with some extra vege

Dinner Asian beef and broccoli

Actually, was thinking about my pork fest yesterday. I think it was more related to the comment on my weight on Friday than the dairy (although possibly that exacerbated my emotions). I Think that I want people saying I'm losing weight or skinny or whatever, but in reality it makes me really uncomfortable and I always have a knee jerk reaction of over eating. This also applies to the scales. It's not a conscious "I've lost weight, so I can eat more, yay". It's more sub-conscious than that, and it's not a happy emotion, I don't think.

Anyway, I happened to read this blog post by Juli @ paleomg.com yesterday afternoonhttp://paleomg.com/weekly-workouts-13/ and I've decided that every time I find myself thinking about weight, food or exercise excessively/obsessively/negatively, I'll be saying "F that". If I do it often enough surely it will sink in to my brain? Eating good food and doing exercise that's fun should be something I enjoy (and I do) and that should be enough. Luckily I'm at the stage with Whole 30/9 that I don't over think it - I didn't stress about the ice cream on Friday, and while the over eating on the weekend was not ideal, I haven't been thinking negatively about it, I've just been looking in to the back end, so to speak, to find the cause.

Sorry for the ramble, April!

Jo

It was a great ramble and a great post by Juli.  I really needed to hear that today.  I want to like myself in the process, not be a shame-filled, failed perfectionist.  Feeling down on myself today and dissatisfied w my body. I want health and freedom and a good relationship with myself to replace judging and self loathing.

So yesterday, I don't think I ate too much but I had wine again when I had planned not to.  I drove with a friend 2 hours to the cyclocross race.  I competed in my first official race (previously had just been practice races).  We hung out and watched other team mates race, then drove the two hours home.  I had planned earlier not to have wine when I got home, but I did.  It was a choice, but I want to identify the stressors so I can be better prepared next time to follow through on my healthy choices.

4 hours of driving

Nervous about the race

Race was fun but physically tough

4 hours of conversation on the trip

worried that my husband would be mad about me being gone all day

Sunday night  has been associated with drinking in the past, a relaxed night at home with dinner, maybe a movie

I was physically and mentally tired

My husband was having some wine

I did have my kombucha and W30 food after the race instead of beer and junk food with the guys.  What could I do differently next time? Be aware that a challenge is coming.   Review my motivations.  Remember I have a choice and either choice has consequences. Open another Kombucha when I got home.  Maybe take a bath or a nap.  Get some downtime.  Working on 'no guilt, just consequences.'  Woke up in the night feeling guilty, feeling tired and crabby today.

B:  Bulletproof coffee, 2 eggs

L:  Tuna, mayo, apple, kombucha

D:  Leftover mashed potatoes, lamb shanks, wine, grapes, decaf w coconut cream

Sneaky sneaky wine. I'm not sure what the solution is there, but good on you looking at a list of triggers. Remind yourself that you went those 50 days with the same stressors/triggers and didn't have wine, so it's a choice now, and there's no pointfeeling guilty about a choice that's be made.

Congrats on your first race! That's an achievement to focus on more than if your body is this, that our the other. I honestly spent the whole day saying 'eff that' every time I thought something negative about myself, and it made me smile every single time.

I ended up having a post-wo meal of two eggs and a banana, and then sardine cakes, cucumber and tomatoes with mayo for dinner last night and a coconut cocoa. It was tasty and should have v been satisfying, but I then had a good two palms of shredded pork. And I still wasn't full. Pre-menstrual eating, I think.

Today's plan:

Breakfast - eggs, bacon and asparagus

lunch - chicken thigh, cucumber, mayo

Dinner - beef mince stirfry (w cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, and I'll make a sauce with coconut aminos and hot sauce)

Not sure about exercise, the weather's pretty bad today, so it will depend if it clears, but I'll either swim after work or gym or walk at lunch.

Abysmal day, and a painful falling out w a friend. And I had a lot of anxiety.  Maybe that is a reaction to the wine?  Had a small tequila on ice when I got home.  

5:45 workout

B  eggs sausage mushrooms onion and squash

L  Leftovers from B plus a pear

D  Crispy smashed chicken from NomNom Paleo, mashed potatoes, carrots, tequila, about 16 cashews. decaf w coconut cream

The best thing I can say about my response to today is that it could have been a lot worse food-wise,  and no sugar.  

http://whole30.com/2014/09/vegetarian-whole30/

Quote from Laurices's story:
In my second  Whole30 round, I really felt my relationship with food shift. It transformed and I began dealing with reality without running to food–even healthier food choices were not on my list of coping strategies. - See more at: http://whole30.com/2014/09/vegetarian-whole30/#sthash.FvajTWxL.dpuf

she said it so well.  I'm working on it, not there yet.  How freeing to think that whatever life brings I can deal with it straight on instead of detouring to (not) deal with it through food 

That's terrible about your fight - do you think you'll get past it? I know I'm certainly not at the point where I don't reach for food when I'm struggling - better and more conscious at times, but not there yet. I do feel that Whole 30/9 eating really helps me with it though.

I didn't end up exercising yesterday - it was super cold when I left work last night so no way I was jumping in the pool! Looking forward to the gym at lunch though - I actually really wanted to go yesterday but I was a bit sore from Monday so held off.

Ended up making tasty capsicum stuffed meatloaf last night, and I'll probably make them again tonight. I also had some cold roast sweet potato dipped in mayo while I was waiting for it to cook - and didn't even feel bad about it! :-)

today's plan:

Breakfast - 4 egg omelette with bacon and dukkah on top. 2x coconut cocoa

gym

Lunch - beef curry with zucchini. Maybe a banana if I can find one at work

Dinner - capsicum mini meatloaf and roast broccoli plus sweet potato

hope tomorrow is calmer for you, April

Wow, yesterday was such a better day than the day before.  I did clear up the misunderstanding with my friend.  I had a productive day at work.  I competed in a cyclocross race after work, and improved in confidence and performance.  Also no alcohol.  It is funny how life comes in waves.  I think the goal is to avoid letting stress take me where I don't want to go.

Still not happy with my weight.  I know, I know..... But still. I want to have my clothes be less snug.  Actually I still haven't weighed bc I am afraid to.

Maybe its just portion control for me.  I'm pretty sure I'm getting enough exercise and rest and I know I'm eating only healthy food.  Maybe too much fat.

B: nothing not hungry 

L  cauliflower and mushroom soup, chicken breast

Pre wo RX bar (gave all I had at home to my daughter, but I found some at the office)

cyclocross after work, kombucha after

D:  same as lunch plus a small scoop of potato and some cashews oh yeah and I had some homemade mayo on the chicken

Before W30 i had gotten in the habit of a glass of wine after work w my husband almost every day.  I do not want that for my life.  I felt a pull today to skip cross and stay home w glass of wine. But it just crossed my mind as an option and I said no.  I like having that freedom.  I like being empowered to make choices that take me where I want to go.  

I hear you on wanting my clothes to fit nicer, but I've been worrying and thinking about it for a year or so now, and it's got me nowhere. I'm fully embracing my eff it philosophy and see how I go with that! And also trying to remember to mediate every night before sleep - actually, I generally remember and I just can't be bothered. Need to work on that.

I like this: I think the goal is to avoid letting stress take me where I don't want to go...I like being empowered to make choices that take me where I want to go.

Obviously you don't want to miss out on that wind down time with your husband - would it be worthwhile buying a case of kombucha so that you can sit there with a glass (in a nice wine glass) with him of an evening?

It doesn't look like you ate very much today, which is an easy trap to fall in to, with thinking you need to cut down in order to lose weight. I think it just takes a while for our bodies to learn to function properly with decent nutrition - I went through so many years of low calorie eating that my poor body must be in quite a mess!  Besides, even with eating as much as I am (and as much fat as I am) I'm still not really eating that many total calories I don't think. Esp when you to take in to account the exercise we do on a regular basis. Do you do much in the way of low intensity exercise, like lunch time walks, etc? I've been trying to do more of that, as it's supposed to really make a difference.

Today's plan:

Breakfast - coconut cacao, 2 HB eggs, 1/2 bunch asparagus, 1/2 pork rib (didn't feel like eating it)

Black coffee

Pre-walk - small handful of coconut flakes

40 min walk with friends, with a chai cacao almond milk latte

Lunch - raw zucchini slice, beef salad, raw vege salad (with sundried tomatoes and olives and a vinegary dressing - yum!) Very fat heavy and possibly light on protein, but it's only one meal.

Going for a swim after work with some friends, then I'll probably eat the remainder of the salads for dinner.

Need to bake tonight for work tomorrow (I am training for an ocean swim with a group that raise money for cancer research, so I bring in cupcakes or biscuits every week and sell them to my colleagues - I raise about $20-25 a week doing this, and I like baking, so it's an easy way to do it) but I'm sure I'll be stuffed after swimming, I find it really tiring!

Good morning.  Beautiful, gorgeous weather here.  We are having Oktoberfest in my town this week.  It is a fun fall festival out doors with German food, music, beer etc.  Last year when we went my daughter and I just had a sausage and some sauerkraut.  Might go w her on Friday afternoon.  

Last night was the Wednesday Night Ride.  About 150-200 cyclists spontaneously meet up every Wed. around 5:00 after work and ride a 30 mile hilly route.  It is a great workout and a lot of fun.  People hang out afterward to chat, drink beer, and sometimes cook out.  It ends with daylight savings time bc it is too dark to finish the ride.  So I think Oct. 29 is the last one.  I don't drink beer, so before W30 I would have wine or tequila.  During W30 I had Kombucha and was content with that.  Last night I had a little tequila, by choice.  

I felt really strong last night, even after my 5:45 wo.  I remember being so tired during the first 2 weeks of W30.  Now I have more strength and endurance than even before I started.

Yes!  I have been buying Kombucha by the case.  It is amazing how that satisfies me. I even started brewing my own.  It turned out great!   It was easy to not drink alcohol on W30, no decisions to make.  Now that I have finished that commitment I am trying to find out what will work for me and still be healthy.

Two more questions on Aussie vocabulary.  What is dukkah?  and you said you would be stuffed after swimming.  Sounds like that means tired, here it means really full from eating a lot.  So kind of you to bake cupcakes when you are not eating any!  An ocean swim sounds very challenging!

I hear you on wanting my clothes to fit nicer, but I've been worrying and thinking about it for a year or so now, and it's got me nowhere. I'm fully embracing my eff it philosophy and see how I go with that! 

I think it just takes a while for our bodies to learn to function properly with decent nutrition - I went through so many years of low calorie eating that my poor body must be in quite a mess!  

Agreed on all counts!  I do think it will take a while for my body to heal hormones etc that govern appetite and weight gain/loss.  Plus the healing of the emotional side takes time too.  I love talking to you about all this.  Thanks.  

Oh, I forgot the food diary:

5:45 workout

Post wo:  Bulletproof coffee

B:  tuna w mayo

L:  2 small chicken thighs, steamed spinach, a pear

at the ride:  Rx bar before, Lara bar after (again from the office, was really hungry both times)  a little tequila

D:  NomNom Paleo's Korean short ribs, brussels sprouts, butternut squash and a few cashews.

I threw away the cashews and will get rid of the rest of the bars,  Better to eat real food or just be a little more hungry at the next meal I think.

Sorry so wordy today.

Two more questions on Aussie vocabulary.  What is dukkah?  and you said you would be stuffed after swimming.  Sounds like that means tired, here it means really full from eating a lot.  So kind of you to bake cupcakes when you are not eating any!  An ocean swim sounds very challenging!

I think dukkah is actually arabic - it's a nut, herbs and spices mix, you generally have it with bread, which you dunk in olive oil and then the dukkah. Haha, yep, stuffed means very full here too, but also very tired - I have no idea about the etymology of that useage!

I love an Octoberfest party! It's Craft Beer week AND Sydney Good Food Month here, so it's all about the street party's and fun times. (The local festival that I thought was on last Sunday is actually this Sunday, and I've arranged with a friend to go and check it out and have some food and drinks - only if anything appeals to me, though.)

Oh wow, I bet it's terrible to be a driver on the roads during those night rides! Sounds like a great social time though. I think tequila is considered one of the "paleo-friendly" drinks, if that's any consolation :)

Agreed on all counts!  I do think it will take a while for my body to heal hormones etc that govern appetite and weight gain/loss.  Plus the healing of the emotional side takes time too.  I love talking to you about all this.  Thanks.  

I think the really helpful thing is that we're both able to articulate to the other what we really ought to be following ourselves! Much easier to say it to someone else than to yourself, which in turn makes it more useful to ourselves!

I swam last night, and even after 8 hours of solid sleep I was still wiped out today - was supposed to go to the gym at lunch, but wasn't feeling it, plus feeling a bit stiff, so I just went for a walk instead (buying a yummy ginger and lime kombucha and some tamari almonds while out). Going out for drinks tonight with friends, but I don't really feel like drinking, so I think I'll just have sparkling water.

Today's food:

Breakfast - 4 eggs, asparagus, slice of bacon, cacao chai with coconut oil

Almond milk latte (I really need to just buy a bottle of the almond milk for $8 and make my own, rather than paying $5 for each drink!)

40min walk

Lunch - was nowhere near large enough, just leftovers from yesterdays lunch, plus the kombucha and some almonds

Dinner - depends how late I'm out after work, but maybe prawn and zoodles

Sometimes, it's as if we "fear" being hungry - like something bad will happen if we don't have those snacks after a ride or swim. And occasionally, it does - I get shaky and feel ill. But that only happens maybe 1 time out of 5...

Hi Jo,

I agree, when I tell you what is going on, it helps me figure out my own life.  When I have done other food logs, like Weight Watchers or MyFitnessPal, I had a hard time admitting exactly all that I ate, striving for perfection I guess.

I made a deal with myself that I would not leave anything out on any post here.  Sometimes I didn't like putting down another imperfect day (Rx bars, alcohol!)  but it was ultimately freeing and way more helpful to just admit the truth and not pretend I was doing better than I actually was.

Plus then I could identify cause and effect and make a better plan for next time.  It has also helped with self acceptance.  It is ok to be the real me, instead of some fake perfect version of me.

Yes you got it, I chose tequila for that reason, Paleo friendly, but it is still not health food, haha!  Went out w friends again last night, had some tequila.  I think it causes anxiety somehow and interrupts my sleep.  I've had enough, ready to stop again for now.

Love these quotes:

"I think the really helpful thing is that we're both able to articulate to the other what we really ought to be following ourselves! Much easier to say it to someone else than to yourself, which in turn makes it more useful to ourselves!

Sometimes, it's as if we "fear" being hungry - like something bad will happen if we don't have those snacks after a ride or swim. And occasionally, it does - I get shaky and feel ill. But that only happens maybe 1 time out of 5..."

Rest Day, no workout or bike ride

B:  stir fry w brisket, spinach, mushrooms and onion

L:  2 leftover ribs, cantaloupe, brussels sprouts, Rx bar (last one in my office, gave the rest to my cycling partner to store for races etc)

D:  chicken, kombucha, an orange, tequila, last LaraBar. Found it in my cycling gear bag.  wow i have had a hard time letting go!  

Have a team party tonight.  Planning on bringing a Kombucha and not drinking alcohol.    One of my teammates is doing the W30 right now after I told him how great it was.  I am going to text him my plan so I have support in not drinking tonight.

Slept in a bit yesterday so I went to 8:15am High Intensity Interval Training instead of my 5:45 class.  I was tempted to skip but thought about not letting stress derail me, so I went and I was glad.  I had a lunch at the med school.  I thought they may not have too much I could eat so I packed a lunch for me to eat at work afterwards just is case.  (correct assumption).  

Team party was fun.  Just Kombucha and W30 food for me.  I found another Larabar when I got home from the team party, but I gave it to my daughter and told her to eat it or hide it.  First day in a long time w no bars or nuts.  It really helps to get them out of the house. Haha.

I am feeling empowered by seeing a pattern of getting right back on track after I have something off W30.  I think that is the way it is supposed to work, saving the less healthy choices for when it is really worth it,  then NOT STAYING THERE, but  instead, getting right back to healthy choices.  One choice to have a treat does not define me, wreck everything or put me back to being powerless over food choices.  I am learning to trust myself w food.  Good feeling!

8:15wo
B:  Bulletproof coffee, 1 sausage patty
L:  steamed veg, part of chicken breast w teriyaki scraped off.  chicken thighs
D: Kombucha, little bit of shredded pork and fruit at the party, steak and avocado at home.  Plus a decaf w coconut cream

I am feeling empowered by seeing a pattern of getting right back on track after I have something off W30.  I think that is the way it is supposed to work, saving the less healthy choices for when it is really worth it,  then NOT STAYING THERE, but  instead, getting right back to healthy choices.  One choice to have a treat does not define me, wreck everything or put me back to being powerless over food choices.  I am learning to trust myself w food.  Good feeling!

Completely agree with this - the one meal/drink doesn't matter - it's how you act for the following meals that does. Making a choice to have an alcoholic drink or a sweet treat doesn't make you weak, it actually makes you in control of your food.

I was out and about and busy all day yesterday, I didn't even turn on my laptop! Got up early and went and did some weights before meeting friends for brunch, then went shopping (decided to just buy some nice clothes that fit well, rather than "waiting until I lose weight" - quite freeing). Then I went and lay in the park and read for a few hours, which was really lovely.

Yesterday's food was:

Coconut cocoa pre-gym

Butter chicken sausage and another coconut cocoa afterwards

Paleo fried chicken, fermented cabbage, chai cacao almond milk latte and a coffee

Tuna summer roll and a kombucha

Steak, tomato salad

And then it went a little off plan - blueberries with coconut cream, apple with nut butter, a sausage, some more nut butter - I just couldn't get full. And I was so bloated.

I wasn't bloated when I woke up this morning, but as soon as I ate I bloated again - so clearly it's something I'm eating. Or just food in general, maybe.

While I was lying in the park, I kept thinking I could just walk up to the shops and buy a bag of sweet potato crisps, it wouldn't be a big deal, etc etc. But, I wasn't really hungry, and the chips didn't fit in to my plan - I would just be eating them from desire (not exactly a craving). So I didn't do it. But I wonder if I had bought and eaten them whether I would have been satisfied with my dinner?

Today's plan:

Coconut Cocoa

Steak and harissa coleslaw

Not sure about the rest of the day. I have a roast pork in the oven to be shredded (I woke up at 5.50 so just put it in then :) ). I was supposed to be going to the village festival with a friend, but she had a domestic crisis so she cancelled (she accidentally put her flatmate's electric kettle on the gas cooker!) - I'll go out by myself, but it probably won't be that fun hanging out by myself - although my flatmate is out there somewhere, I guess we could meet up. Anyway, I might buy lunch there, and maybe a beer, if they're selling them.

Enjoy your Sunday, April - it's lovely and sunny here - hope I don't get burned!

I wanted to share this Facebook post by Jason Seib about his wife too https://www.facebook.com/jaseib?ref=ts&fref=ts - I think it's really great that he makes the point that his wife has been paleo for 7 years, and has only started getting results in the past 6 months since she's had the pressure of very young children lessen.

Archived