Sore Throat/Virus Coming On (Day 10)

G00d4U

Hi -- I am Day 10.  Have been feeling pretty good, eating well, working out.  Woke up this morning with bad sore throat and very low energy (couldn't do my workout event at 50%).  Normally, I would take EmergenC (not compliant because of sugar), so I haven't.  I normally do not take vitamins/supplements of any type.  Any advice?  Are our bodies more succeptible to illness before the Whole 30 magic kicks in?

Thanks!

• Administrators

Bone broth if you can get/make some. Litres and litres of it until you are feeling better.  (there are lots of bone broth threads on this forum for recipes/ideas)

Sleep until you can sleep no more.  The body heals in sleep.

Water, tea, hot water w/ lemon until you are floating away.

Hope you feel better soon!

The flu is here early this year.   There are confirmed cases over the US.    It is contagious, take care of yourself.  It's going through the school systems and closed environments.  

I don't believe the body is more susceptible doing a Whole 30.    From what my sister tells me (medical field), you're more susceptible living on a diet of sugars and carbs.   Sugary breakfast cereals, donuts, cookies....things of that nature.

Real fruit, good proteins, good fats and loads of vege....builds up the immune system.  That's why AIP folks thrive...boosting up their immune systems.

"A healthy immune system benefits from a diet high in omega 3 fats, fresh fruit and vegetables, nuts and whole grains. Some of these are off limits though if you’re following a LCHF diet. Fruit, dairy, lentils and starchy vegetables such as sweet potatoes, butternut and carrots (to name a few) are all considered carb.

So what can be done?

The good news is you can still eat low-carb and keep your immune system strong – you just need to make sure you include plenty of:

• Green vegetables such as spinach, broccoli and baby marrow
  • Oily/fatty fish such as salmon, sardines, mackerel and tuna
  • Plant fats such as avocados, nuts, seeds and olives, and
  • Oils such as olive oil – as long as it’s “raw” and not cooked."

• Moderators

Your body probably absorbs more good from an orange and some grilled steak than from a packet of EmergenC. It is basically a multi-vitamin with 1000 percent more vitamin C, but our bodies really don't use much of what we give it in the form of pills unless were are completely deficient in something. 

Bone broth in abundance per ladyshanny. 

I had the flu very badly in August and found that while smoothies are discouraged on W30 (although still compliant if made with compliant ingreds), all I could stomach was a green smoothie made with greens, avocado, berries, and coconut water (raw, no sugar) , and (separately)  bone broth. It took a week but I got over it eventually. 

Have a look at this thread. 

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/22092-can-i-have-oscillococcinum/?hl=oscillo#entry233500

I am back -- day 14.  I did the bone broth.  Lots of sleep.  All diet recommendations above.  I stopped exercising for right now.  Energy is still really whacked out.  I am used to exercising every day (variety of high intensity, weight training, walking, spinning)....and my energy is low and challenging even when I climb steps.  My throat is better but still sore.  I feel like I am eating just fine on plan.  Question is:  is this lack of sugar, virus?  I am thinking that 'carb flu' is not what I am experiencing but since I have never done this diet before...don't know.  I did not eat a lot of carbs prior to doing the Whole30 because I am gluten free.  I did (pre-Whole30) used to have fruit in the am with a small amt of protein every morning for breakfast.  Have cut out most fruit since doing Whole 30.  Advice?

• Administrators

I would suspect that you are experiencing a lack of overall energy because your body is committing its resources to fighting and recovering from whatever you had.  If you think it could be carb-flu related, the simplest way to determine that is to up your carb intake over the next few days.  Winter squash, yams, beets, carrots etc. 

And....now that I think about it, you might want to do that anyway...because although you are not "being active" right now, your body definitely is internally and might appreciate the extra sources of energy.

Archived