how do people get in veggies for breakfast

Babsie95

I am about to start a third whole 30 and the biggest thing I have trouble with is breakfast. My first two rounds I did reasonably well no off plan foods and such but I have never been successful at eating a proper template breakfast.  I find that I am just not hungry and even when I am hungry in the morning I fill up quickly or feel nauseous after a few bites.  I am determined to "do better" and continue to improve my health and I think improving breakfast will be the key.

Ideas?

For me, spinach and green peppers are fairly easy to add to eggs.

But then again I don't usually eat breakfast so my meals are more "lunch-y" and "dinner-y" which seem to lend themselves more to additional veggies than breakfast does.

• Administrators

Breakfast sautee for the win!  Every morning I make the following:

Every scramble gets: couple ounces of already cooked meat (ground is perfect for this and I cook 2# every Sunday and use all week)

Then, CHOOSE as many as you like: shredded cabbage, diced onion, chopped green beans, shredded beet, roasted yam, roasted potato, sliced mushrooms, sliced apple, shredded brussel sprout, diced pepper, roasted squash (basically whatever you have available)

Sautee all in compliant fat until the veggies are cooked.  Then ADD several handfuls of any of: baby kale, swiss chard, spinach.

SEASON the frying pan of food w/ any combo of: garlic, S&P, ginger, jerk or Ras El Hanout (from Well Fed), compliant Italian Seasoning, Costco's "Every Day Seasoning", sesame oil, cumin

And finally, top with two eggs done any way you like and a tsp of homemade mayo!

Takes approximately 10 minutes from start to plate...if the meat is pre-cooked.

• Moderators

Back during my first Whole30, I found this breakfast salad recipe. I started from that and make it with whatever sounds good. I try to use things that will last 5-6 days so I can make it Sunday night and have it with my breakfast every day during the week. I pretty much always put jicama in it, and then I usually add either zucchini or yellow squash, sometimes snap peas, carrots, celery, cucumber (I prefer this peeled, sometimes the peel is bitter and that makes the whole thing taste off) -- pretty much any vegetable that you like the taste of raw. I usually make it for the weeks that I know I'm going to have to leave the house earlier than normal, I'll do this and a breakfast casserole or egg muffins. They're both easy to pack up and take with me if I'm running late.

• Administrators

Kirkor ~ I do shred them myself!  If I have the food processor out I'll run them through there but otherwise I just get out the standard cheese grater and do it with a pair of gloves on so my fingers don't turn red!

I eat lunch/dinner stuff for breakfast, so like today: shredded chicken, wilted winter greens, avocado - with seasoning and vinegar and oil because I'm weird.

If you really like the concept of breakfast being its own kind of food, the above ideas are a great start - but don't feel like you have to eat "breakfast" at breakfast, if that makes sense.

I love a compliant antipasto plate for breakfast.  Rolled compliant deli meat or leftover protein from yesterday; cucumber, tomato, olives, artichoke hearts, red pepper drizzled with good quality EVOO and S&P; maybe a hard boiled egg if I've cooked any (usually haven't) and any leftover cooked veggies I happen to have on hand.  For my W30, eating veggies with all three meals proved to be critical.  As soon as I got in the habit of having enough veg on hand, I immediately felt more satisfied and had less or no hunger between meals.

I do a quick slice of onion, cabbage, grated carrot (I use one of those grater peeler thingies for the carrot) and toss that with some coconut oil, sesame oil and coconut aminos.  Red pepper flakes if I like.

Depending on what's leftover, it may get chicken, beef or egg added to it.

Today I had leftover potato and diced that up and threw it in.

Simple, fast, tasty. 

Easiest baby steps are sweet potatoes any way (hash, baked, mashed). I also find that roasted mushrooms (I roast at 375 for 10 minutes, remove from oven/dump any accumulated liquid, then toss in a mixture of chopped garlic, thyme, salt, black pepper, balsamic vinegar, and cooking fat and then roast for another 10 minutes...delish!) and sliced raw tomatoes with salt and pepper are delicious for breakfast. The fried plantains from WF2 are also AMAZING for breakfast and I sometimes do the Sweet Potato Soup from that book for easy breakfast on hectic mornings. It cools slowly, though, so I try to do it on mornings where I have sausages or something that I can use to scoop out and help cool down the soup...

• Whole30 Certified Coach

When I'm in the mood for a sweeter breakfast I find that creamed spinach is less "vegetable-y" than other veggies :)

My recipe:

1 medium onion, chopped

1 16-20 oz bag of frozen spinach

1/2 c full fat coconut milk or 1/2 can TJ light coconut milk

cinnamon or nutmeg 

Saute the onions until they start to get translucent (5-7 min) in some oil.  While they cook, thaw the spinach (microwave or another pan) and then squeeze out as much water as you can.  Add the spinach to the onions.  Add the coconut milk and stir well.  Add a little cinnamon or nutmeg for flavor.  S&P to taste.  

I often have this as a side to turkey breakfast sausage made with apples - so the whole meal is a little sweeter.

I find eating roasted veggies is easiest and make sure I have plenty in the fridge: roasted tomatoes, roasted onions are both good and I warm them in a pan before eating; currently eating roasted green beans for breakfast. I also eat salad often. For me the issue is smell and texture in the morning. I also like hash: sweet potato and zucchini, but can't be bothered to make it most of the time. I know some people eat soup. Try a few things and find out what works for you. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

My top two favourtie Whole30/Paleo breakfast's are (I am no Whole 30 Expert though :) );

1) 2 x Poached Eggs, Smoked Salmon, Baby Spinach, Sliced Tomato and 1/2 Avocado with a piece of fruit on the side (this one is quick because it only takes as long as poaching two eggs!)

2) Saute sliced zucchini and capsicum (I think they are also referred to as Bell Peppers?) in some coconut oil then when predomiantly cooked (but still a little hard) add in a handful of baby spinach and 3 eggs and scramble it all together then slice some tomatos on top and serve with 1/2 Avocado and a piece of fruit on the side.

Mmmmm I had no. 2 for breakfast and now I am still thinking about it :) Breakfast is my favourite meal of the day!!

While I like a wide variety of vegetables, I am unfortunately pretty picky about them with my eggs. 

I do shredded brussel sprouts fried up in a bit of olive oil, bacon if I have it. Deglaze the pan with a tiny bit of ACV, top with a little bit of salt. Then 2-3 fried eggs on top.

Sometimes I will do a scramble with peppers, onions, and mushrooms. 

if I have compliant bacon, I will pan roast some broccoli in bacon grease and then scramble some eggs into it. 

Or, I eat non breakfast foods like chili and salad. 

If you have a Trader Joe's near you, they have multiple options for pre-cut veggie mixes to keep morning prep to a minimum.  My favorite go-to breakfast is a few huge handfuls of their 'Healthy 8' mix (8 veggies, diced to the same size) sauteed in bacon grease or lard and then I brown a couple of Aidell's chicken apple sausages (sliced) and mix it all up.  Feels and tastes very 'breakfasty' to me even though it's just meat, veggies and fat.  It's also quick and easy clean up!  I've been known to leave my used cast iron skillet on the stovetop for days at a time because I just reuse it every morning. ;)

I keep a container of pureed butternut squash in the fridge (I use the canned kind, but I'm sure fresh would be fabulous). When making scrambled eggs, I add one tablespoon of the squash for each egg (before whisking them). It adds a subtle earthiness to the eggs that I find delicious. This doesn't represent a major addition of veggies to your meal, so I still eat about two cups of veggies on the side with my eggs. But every bit counts, right?!

I also slow cook my scrambled eggs, over medium or medium-low heat depending on the stove. You have to stir/fold them with a rubber spatula constantly, from the second they start to cook, scraping the bottom again and again. It takes a little extra time, but they turn out custardy and rich instead of dry and bland. Get them out of the pan while they still look moist but not wet. If slightly runny eggs gross you out, this method might not be for you. :)

• Moderators

I try to get in greens (usually steamed or sautéed kale or collards or spinach or cabbage) and some kind of fermented veggie, either sauerkraut or kimchee or fermented carrots for breakfast with leftover protein. It always feels like a solid virtuous start to the day.

Archived