Starting monday, 13th of october

Sarah88

Dear everyone,

My name is Sarah and I will start my 30 days coming monday. I have been following the paleo diet for 4 years now, (after reading ''the paleo diet'' by Loren Cordain), but lately I've ''cheated'' a bit more than I would like.  I have a love/hate relationship with food, and a hate relationship with my body, something that I would love to change. Because of this, I often eat too little one day, the next day too much because I feel energy deprived, or eat too much sugar one day and then starve myself 2 days to compensate. However, because I eat paleo-friendly most of the time, and work-out a lot, and still can't seem to lose those last 10 pounds of real ''chubby fat'' around my waistline, (and feel horrible and demotivated because of this, which triggers the unhealthy eating routine described above), I really want to reset my eating habits and my body and take it from there. I hope that the whole 30 program will help me break my weight loss and work out plateau.

I am very thankful for this forum, and I wish everyone the best of luck!

Kind regards,

Sarah 

Hello Sarah,

I am planning to start on Monday as well. I was really happy to see your post, since I have very similar problems. I have only been eating (mostly) paleo for about six months, and have been quite active, but I had gained quite a lot of weight previously due to severe stress and comfort binge eating. So I hate the way I look now, especially when I look at pictures of myself from a few years ago.

I know I can do so much better, we all can! I hope this Whole30 will be just the thing I need to change all those bad habits.

Here's to a great experience and to wonderful results! 

Kay

Dear Kay, 

Thank you so much for your reply, and your honesty. Its funny how such little things can really help one feel extra motivated :) 

Im interested to know what you are most dreading about this experience. I  am very excited about starting the whole 30 program, but I am also very nervous about two things in particular, namely 1. breakfasts, for I heavily (totally...) rely on fruits in the morning and coffee - with no diary but with some added artificial sweetener like stevia, and 2. Not weighing myself throughout the 30 days, for I tend to weigh myself every day, at least twice. I am terrified not to - which is totally stupid I know - but the ugly truth nonetheless, and I wonder whether I can manage.

I really hope that you too will be able to break your bad habits, and most importantly, develop a more positive relationship with your own body, so that you stop comparing yourself to older pics, and thus stop telling yourself that you are not as ''good'' as you were back then. Sadly, I know this drill all too well. I hope both of can change :) Here's to you! 

Sarah  

Dear Sarah,

Concerning the weighing issue: I used to have that problem, too, and the way I coped with it was simply by giving away my bathroom scale. Weight fluctuations can be extremely frustrating, even when they are perfectly explainable (water retention, periods etc). I also find that whenever I have a stable exercise routine I tend to gain muscle faster than I lose fat, so I actually end up gaining weight even though I look and fell slimmer and more toned. So, yes, my advice is to get rid of the scale (give it to a friend for safekeeping, perhaps, or lock it away in a storage unit or something). The anxiety does subside after a while, and you have one less reason to get frustrated and quit.

My typical breakfast is coffee and a banana or two, but this is more out of habit and convenience. I don't have much time to cook in the mornings, so I'm planning to rely on leftovers from dinner the day before on weekdays (who said you can't have soup for breakfast?) and make omelets with veggies on Saturdays and Sundays.

The issues I'm worried about are

1. eating without any distrations. This may seem weird, but we actually gave away our kitchen table last week, since we had not used it in over a year! My husband and I both eat all our meals at our work tables, with a laptop or tablet or book in front of us. We rarely have a meal together (since we have different schedules and eat different things anyway), but even when we do, there is always a movie or some youtube videos playing in the background. This has to change, but right now I can't imagine just being alone with my plate with nothing to read or watch.

2. alcohol. I find that I can easily give up a lot of foods and rarely have cravings (rather, I tend to indulge by eating too much 'good' food), but a glass or two of wine with my evening meal is something that I enjoy a lot and look forward to almost every day. Again, I realize this is not good for me and this has to change, but it is going to be hard.

Anyway, off to do some preparatory shopping and cooking!

Kay

This was great to read. I'm starting on 10/13 as well, and looking forward to it.

My biggest concerns are:

1. Well, I've started the plan about four times, and have only made it through day 4 or 5. I usually slip up by telling myself it's really not a big deal to eat "x, y, or z" (usually something sugary or sweet potato fries from a restaurant). So I guess I'm concerned about NOT making it 30 days again. Heck, I'm afraid of not even making it past day 5!

2. I already feel socially awkward, and that often leads me to overeat in social settings. I don't know how to tackle this. I feel like I'll add a layer of social anxiety now that I have a specific way I'm eating. I guess I'll just have to be with the awkward when it comes up! :-)

How's your prep going?

xo

Hollye

Well, Day 1 is done!

Hi Hollye! I'm going to keep a daily log on this forum (in the special section for logs). I agree that it is very easy to allow yourself just one little thing, and then you have to do it all over again, which destroys your motivation. So, I've decided I really need to be accountable, and writing everything down on the Internet for everybody to see has to be helpful. 

Yesterday, while shopping for food, I also told the cashiers (really friendly ladies who know me quite well, as I've been shopping there almost every week for a couple of years) at my local wine store that I'm giving up wine for a month, so now even if I feel tempted to go buy a bottle, I know I will have some explaining to do. This will definitely help with resisting the temptation to just have that one little glass at dinner.

So, ladies, how was your Day One?

Hi Hollye and Kay! 

I just read Kay's log (good job you!) and posted ''my log'' as a reply to hers. I am not sure yet where its best to post stuff, like, whether we should keep this topic going or start another one, or keep logs ourselves..Any thoughts on that? (total newbie here, obviously ;))

My day went OK, not too eventful, some sugar cravings (as always) but nothing I can't handle (yet...)

I am really interested in your log too Hollye! I was not really planning on keeping one myself, but I think Kay is right that it may help us to keep on track..

I hope you can make it through the whole 30 days this time Hollye, and if I can help in any way, let me know. I know how our minds  constantly try to trick us into cheating, (i almost put some stevia in my coffee, thinking, what the hell, what harm could it possibly do? - managed to leave it out though) but really, we must remember that we are not depriving ourselves, but healing ourselves! And there's a whole lotta days to come after the next 30 days, on which we are free to make poor choices ;) Keep it up!

I also understand your ''social akwardness'', but I think that you should feel really proud of yourself for trying the whole 30. Maybe it helps to take your own food with you to social events, or to really focus on chewing your food. The good thing is, if you load your plate up with veggies and lean protein, you are far less likely to overeat, and there's no such thing as overeating broccoli anyways! You can have as much greens as you like :) You could also tell your company that you are doing the whole30, that you are taking 30 days to clean and heal your body with whole and natural foods, which already sounds so awesome that it might give you some confidence. And whenever you're in need of some mental/moral support: we're here! (not the royal we, but me and the rest of this awesome community I mean!) Best of luck, take care, 

Sarah

Hi, ladies! May I jump in? I started my second round of whole30 today. I did my first one a year ago in April and was so hapoy with the results. However, I have slipped some in recent minths and want to get back on track before winter really sets in and the comfort foods start calling. I am still getting over a bug of some sort that knocked me flat last week so this could be a rough start as the appetite is practically nill right now.

Anyway, here's to a solid thirty day run for all of us. The tiger blood is just waiting to take control! :)

Hey Dfroehlich!

Of course you may jump in! The more the merrier, I'd say, I am sure we can all use the extra support! :)

Here's to you for giving the whole30 another go! I also thought october would be an excellent time to start - we'll be finished long before christmas - but I am actually going to try to keep at it (make it a whole 45/60 - but maybe add a bit more fruit etc to satisfy my sweettooth - if its still there at the end of the first 30days) for the whole of november - so that when christmas comes, I will be able to make some responsible and concious choices - i.e. ask myself whether I really need a piece of pie, and then if I decide I do, enjoy it to the fullest - rather than mindlessly overindulge and kick myself afterwards...

I hope you are feeling better today, and recovering quickly from your bug. All the extra vitamins you will get from veggies may help with that. And if the appetite won't come back soon enough, try sipping on bone broth, It is warming excellent flu-''food'' , and super-healthy. One question: Did you really experience the tiger blood back in april? Oh my, what did it feel like, and how far in your whole30 did it happen? I can't wait to experience it for myself!

Best of luck! 

xoxo

Hello ladies!

Dfroehlich, my hat is off to you for completing a whole30 and coming back for more! Can you share some of the experiences you had on your first whole30? Hopefully you will recover soon. Drinking plenty of liquids, like water, herbal teas or broth, usually helps a lot!

I must say I've never experienced problems with eating in a social setting, probably my awesome group of friends and colleagues are always willing to accommodate everyone's needs, so we always pick a place for lunch or dinner that will suit everybody.

My mother-in-law is unexpectedly coming to visit this weekend. She is a very nice lady, but very authoritative, and her idea of healthy food is lots of dairy and grains, so I am mentally preparing myself for hours of explaining why I won't eat just a little piece of homemade pie or a tiny bowl of cottage cheese :) It's just two days though - I'm sure I can handle it!

Hi ladies! i also started on monday, so far so good! the only thing I'm really missing so far is Diet Coke....

I think it's great how honest you are all being, it makes me feel like less of a dieting-weight loss-basket case! I also have come to realize that i have a pretty unheatlhy relationship with food....I supposed I could be worse, but I am 100% an emotional eater.....and I play sports and workout pretty regularly, so i am always able to justify my cheats! 

I'm not a big junk food eater, especially as of the last couple of years, because about 4 years ago, i was diagnosed with a non-celiac gluten/wheat intolerance....I cut that out of my diet for the most part, and it definitely helped my gut issues, skin cleared up, fewer migraines....

I have also gained a lot of weight in the last couple of years, and i'm not entirely sure why....I mean i fall off the healthy eating and working out wagon, but not to gain as much as i have....I hate the way i look right now! another factor that is tied into my emotional eating is my current relationship....my boyfriend is great, and has not so much as even HINTED that i'm probably 15lbs heavier than when we started going out....and he's very supportive of this---he actually is interested in doing it, but wants to see what happens to me first! it will be very difficult for him to follow as he is a police officer and works odd hours....but i'm hoping to set a good example for him! i try to cook  paleo-centric for him, as he is predisposed to diabetes and definitely has a hypoglycemic tendency....so i think this will be great for both of us---with ME leading the way! 

my only foul-up so far was at the grocery store yesterday...i need to get more veggies since my meals today are primarily the animal protein with a little bit of veggies...definitely not enough. 

I've also been trying to find a Whole30 buddy in real life....but i couldn't get anyone on board!! Glad there are some ladies out there who have started on the same day as myself! Good luck to us all, and if you create any fabulous recipes/ideas, let's share!

-Abigail

Hi Ladies!  I too started Monday.  I am super nervous!  I have never really cooked for myself (being a party of 1) :)  I do really enjoy cooking though so I am excited for that.   Beyond that, I have not ever had any routine so to say.  I eat out almost every meal.  That is why I want to do the whole 30.  I feel that it is time for me to grow up and take responsibility for my health! (Or at least that is what I am trying to convince myself of...lol!!)

I am having a lunch crisis today.  In the months leading up to my start, I intended to have egg salad, tuna salad or chicken salad, as my lunch options when I didn't have leftovers.  Well when I made mayo on Sunday, I gagged.  I cannot get over the fact that there is raw egg in it and it freaks me out!!  So now, I am stumped with what to do.  I am a teacher, so time is of the essence, and also, I live on Oahu so specialty items are also rather rare (our outrageously expensive).  Today, I ended up deconstructing a veggie roll, and eating the avocado, lettuce, carrots, and cucumbers.  I know that will not sustain me until dinner.  I am going to try to duck out of school as soon as I can so I do not grab something just because I am starving.  

Look forward to sharing stories, successes, and advice!

Kimber

Hi ladies, and welcome Abigail and Kimber!

Today is day three:) That means that as of today, we are no longer doing a whole30, but a whole 27! 

@Kay: I read your log again and I think you are doing a brilliant job. Very happy to read that you did not experience any headaches yesterday, and felt better overall. Good workout too! You can definately have my recipe for the rabbitstew - to be honest with you - it is not even my recipe to begin with - I found it on the internet and it is amazing! http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/rabbit_stew_with_mushrooms/ To make it whole30 approved, you have to leave out the 50ml of white wine though..I can tell you, it still tasted really good without the wine, but I definately recommend you make it once more when the whole30 is over, just to get that  full and delicious French flavor..:) I did not add the liver, so taste wise the porcini mushrooms are the hero of the dish - combined with the roasted garlic puree it makes for an awesome thick and hearty sauce - which really made me wondering why people would ever use cream to begin with :) For the mushrooms I used 250 grams of cremini mushrooms, 150 grams shiitake and 150 grams of nameko mushroom. The variety of flavors was really good, and especially the nameko mushrooms looked really beautiful and ''autumny'' in the dish. The whole dish very much feels like as if you are eating a bowl of autumn :) I served it with sauteed kale and pumpkin cubes (which I oven roasted first) : Really good stuff! Even writing about the stew is a good idea hehe, for its noon and I still have to eat breakfast (I know I know it's super important but I am just not hungry at all), but now my appetite has increased a little :)

@ Abigail: I hope you are doing well so far on you're whole30! I know that feeling of ''gaining more than what seems appropiate'' all too well. I am really glad you have such a supportive boyfriend, who loves you the same whether your 15lbs ligther or heavier than when he met you (which seems so obvious when I write it down, (like a big : duuh), but nonetheless feels like a big deal for us insecure ladies:)),  for I think that will definately make the whole30 easier to complete. 

I too have gained weight over the years - and people are always saying ''I am sure it's muscle'' but I'm sure it is not :) Okay, maybe some of it is, but I definately gained some fat around the belly as well, which, as we all know, is coincidentially the worst place to be storing it up (thanks mum..:)) And dear Abigail, I know so well how it feels to hate the way you look, and how this feeling can completely mess up your relationship with food, and gives rise to so many other insecurities,..I also feel ashamed of my body, and guilty towards my boyfriend for not being ''more fun'' (i.e. more naked :)) - whilst he too, has never even so much as complained about my body!  I really hope that this whole30 will be a good experience for you, that you will feel happier and healthier and more comfortable in your own skin. And good for you for setting the example! Sure sounds as though your boyfriend would fare well by clean eating! (come to think of it, who doesn't?) I do agree that you should really load some more veggies on your plate -they are basically the staple of this diet. There's a whole thread dedicated to recipe sharing on this forum, so I am sure you can find some awesome ideas there! I too will share if I think of something brilliant ;) 

@ Kimber: Great that you have joined us! Great that you are excited about cooking, for the whole30 requires quite a lot of it! Here's to you for trying to take responsibility for you own health. In the beginning, cooking you're own meals may feel like a total hassle, but I am sure you will get better at it soon enough (you'll get plenty of practise doing the whole30 ;))  Your lunch crisis does sound like a crisis indeed! One deconstructed veggieroll doesn't sound like a complete meal at all! Have you tried baking frittata''s? They are easy to pack, and keep well in the fridge. Just whisk some eggs, (like 8 to 10, to make a batch that will last you a couple of says), add 3 cups of veggies and some spices, and bake at 375 F in a tin in the oven for 20 min, or on the stove for 20 min (low heat - to prevent from burning, and make sure you grease your pan). What are the type of things that are so hard to come by in Oahu? Maybe we can help you think of cheaper alternatives :) I hope you made it to dinner, or was able to pick up something whole30 approved in between. All the best of luck to you, and feel free to ask for any advice! Not that I am the expert, but I too went from being a student who never cooked and ate half a small pizza or wrap for dinner every night (only half - because I was afraid to get fat - and thus starving all the time too), to cooking every day, often twice a day, for the last four years:)).

Good luck to all of us on day 3!

xoxo

Kimber

Ooops, haha, sorry about that, my previous reply is signed "xoxo Kimber'' - but it is me - Sarah who wrote that. I copied Kimber's text in my reply screen, so that I could remember what she had written and reply more easily. Forgot to erase that final bit! Sorry! 

hi ladies! and aloha to kimber and welcome! how is day 3 going so far for everyone? Sarah, thanks for all the encouragement, and you're spot on...of COURSE he still loves me despite the weight, otherwise he would be a douchebag---but it is all about my insecurities! glad to know i'm not the only one who feels that way!

i just finished a little breakfast at my desk----i found the most amazing little contraption at CVS for $5---and kimber this might be right up your ally (as i am also single---well not married at least and the boyfriend doesn't live with me, soi cook a lot for myself)...it's a little single serving stone cooker with a steam chimney.....so i just brough 2 eggs to work with me, and plopped them in there, and made perfect poached eggs in about 2 minutes, with avocado on the side! i have started sprinkling a bit of sea salt on my avocado though, since i think it needs a bit of flavor.

sounds like we are all going into this with a great attitude!

I have followed the eating "rules" and all that, but to be perfectly honest, I have struggled to get all the pieces together at the right time....so as i mentioned, the first 2 days i don't think i had enough veggies...so on my way home from work i stopped and picked up more....spent all night cooking and prepping so i can just grab 'n go for work and reheat when i come home....My major food/veggie for today was going to be the Parsnip, Carrot, and Cauliflower mash that i found a recipe for.....FYI, it is AMAZING!!! i filled up 2/3rd of a tupperware container with it, and was going to put a small serving on my Mocha Rubbed Pot roast (and carrots) in there for my protein...that was going to be my lunch today and i completely forgot the mash : (  Not gonna lie i was REALLY looking forward to that! So, i don't know if that's a total screw up? or i can just compensate and eat more veggies for dinner...?

i also made last night (as food for the week), paleo shepherds pie, which is just beef, carrots, onions, peas, balsamic vinegar, red wine (i omitted for whole30) and some spices....sauteed together, and then in lieu of the potatoes (which i know are now whole30 compliant, but i LOVE sweet potatoes) i used sweet potatoes, which has some butter (i used coconut butter instead), coconut milk, salt, pepper, etc....layer it up like shepherds pie and bake till it bubbles....it's FANTASTIC....for the whole 30 i used less meat than sweet potatoes because i've found myself craving meat, so i can see how i could easily go overboard with that....

also, how are you guys feeling? i'm a b it tired but i think it's because i've been staying up late cooking and cleaning....hungry throughout the day but so far i haaven't snacked (oo i did order some Primal pacs, by the way and they look good!)....will be drinking more water today...forgot my water bottle yesterday : (.....and i don't know if this is TMI but i'm wondering if it's normal.....the 1st 2 days i was feeling very bloated and a bit....shall we say, stopped up? not a problem today......and it may just be my imagination, but i think my skin looks FABULOUS! clearer Z(i've always struggled with sensitivve skkin and hormonal outbreaks), more luminious, less shiny....i'm not even wearing foundation today! just mascara and eyeliner!

anyways, i'd love to hear from the rest of you about today! Kimber, i recommend the little stone cooker, it's an "As Seen On TV product"....you can cook about a billion things in it.....and make a big batch of the mash, you can eat it with everything, and it's naturally sweet too, so it will feed your sugar tooth : )

-Abigail

Hi ladies,

Today is day three:) That means that as of today, we are no longer doing a whole30, but a whole 27! 

Sarah!!

I love this thought process! That makes it so much easier to face. :)

During my first whole30, I was struggling to correct a LOT of bad eating habits so most of my challenge was focused on learning to get along without dairy, whole grains and dealing with a monster sugar dragon that I never did vanquish. Tiger blood kicked in about mid-way through my third week and I really felt fabulous by day 30. What I learned is that no dairy is ever worth it - for me. Grains are an occasional treat and I have to go to battle with my sugar dragon every single day and make conscious choices.

This time around, I have learned how to be prepared. I am a much, much improved shopper and my cabinets reflect a major change in my eating habits. Even my family have become better eaters, opting for apples, clementines, fruits and cheese sticks for snacks versus overly processed foods full of words I cannot begin to pronounce. I have a battery of go-to recipes on hand that I have already made many times and know I love and are compliant and a slew of new options to keep my taste buds guessing.

I *was* tired and grumpy throughout the first week of my whole30 and still tired during the second week. I think I'll still have some trouble with that this time because I was really starting to slip on the grains in this last month or two (one of the major reasons for committing to another round). For example, last night I nodded off in my comfy chair about 7:30 and was in bed sound asleep by 9:30. One thing I learned last go around, was to only do one thing at a time. So, for now, I will concentrate on getting the diet straight. THEN I will work on a better exercise routine.

My bug is slowly vacating the premises - probably thanks to the veggies. :) Keep up the good work, ladies!

Denise

Hi Ladies!

How is everything going so far? Today is day four, and I really think time is flying by super fast. 

@Denise: Great that you have become a better shopper, and that you are now more prepared for your whole30. I am sure that is going to make this time around even more succesful! I am also happy that are recovering from the flu. I think it is way harder to make good and conscious choices when you are tired and generally not feeling well. Also, I know all about monster sugar dragons! They sure are tough drakes to vanquish ;) For this reason, I really try to eat very little fruit, and not snack on any dried fruits while on the whole30, even though there are compliant (in moderation, of course). I am really trying to reprogram my brain, for the Hartwigs said something in their book that really struck a chord with me: Whether you eat a candy bar, or a very sweet apple: "Your brain doesn’t know the difference.

The only thing your brain knows is, “I craved sugar and I got sugar.” That’s right, the message you just sent to your brain is, “I craved, I
satisfied that craving, and I feel better now.”" It Starts With Food, p. 124. 
Maybe this is something you guys already realized, but I sure did not. I have a terrible sweet tooth, and since I was already eating paleo most of the time before I started my whole30, I tried to satisfy it with fresh fruits, and occasionaly some raisins. My breakfast typically consisted of a big bowl of 1 to 2 sliced appels, 3-4 sliced carrots, 1 sliced banana, a squeeze of fresh lemon juice, 5 to 10 raisins, a tablespoon of dessicated coconut, and a sprinkle of cinnamon - sometimes with some lean turkey on the side. Now, even though this meal consists of healthy whole foods, it sure is a sugar bomb, and never truly satiating. I feel stuffed minutes after eating it (because of all the water in the fruits), but then an hour later I am already hungry again. But then I go over the calories, and tell myself, ''No, you cannot be hungry, you have had 400 to 500 calories and that should be enough, otherwise you will get fat''. 
And, truth of the matter is, I really have put on some fat - which left me wondering and complaining: I exercise regularly, I eat paleo, I am afraid of fat so hardly consume any, I do not drink ANY alcohol, why in the world am I still looking this way, and gathering fat around my tummy? I thought I got a very unfair deal with my body, for I know so many girls who do not exercise and eat tuns of crap and still are so much skinnier than me! I already accepted that I have a very slow metabolism, which has improved since I adopted the paleo diet, but is still not up to par, and I know comparing oneself to other people is never a good idea, but it still left me frustrated. Why do I see so little results whilst I'm doing so many things right?
I think I may have found part of the answer on page 124 of the Hartwig's book: (or at least, I sincerely hope so!) My body is not fat adopted, because I stay clear from fat (because of my immense fear of gaining fat) and instead eat too much sugar! I start my day off with sugar, I snack on sugar, I reward myself with sugar. It may be in the form of apples, pears, plums and the occasional banana, but still its sugar. So, now, on this whole30, I am really making an effort to eat as little fruit as possible, and to only eat it when it is incorporated or part of a whole meal.  I try to begin my day with protein and veggies. Even this morning, when I was not hungry at all because I was nauseous from not sleeping enough last night ( 5, 5 hours does not work for me), I managed to eat a bowl of left over Thai Tom Kha Kai soup. The only fruit I now consume is my daily kiwi - at breakfast, because a kiwi in the morning has really helped me to get over the worst part of my digestive problems, and I fear what will happen if I quit eating them. Moreover, they are also quite expensive, so I really do not want to throw them away. That said, as soon as I am out, I intend not to buy them for the remaining weeks of my whole30 - and really try a completely sugarless eating pattern. I so hope that this will make a difference, and I will definately report it here if it does. I think I already crave sugar a little less now, but I am not sure - for it could also be total will power to make this work that is now battling the sugar dragon - rather than that the sugar dragon has started to take a much needed nap. Time will tell.
Right. Long story. Sorry if it bored you guys! I am just very excited about this experiment, and keeping my fingers crossed.

As for the rest of my whole30, it is going pretty well I'd say. I eat my three meals, and try not to snack in between. Yesterday  was a bit messy, I had only two meals and one snack - but the snack was a big bowl of kale chips - about 250 grams of kale mixed with only one tablespoon of olive-oil, a splash of lemon and a sprinkle of salt, so I think that is not too bad. That said, I'd rather not snack at all and really try to stick to the three meal program, for I was a total grazer before the whole30 (I am always obsessively counting calories, and in fear of eating ''actual meals with fat'' and eating too much, I am always snacking on low-calorie carrots and fruits) and, similarly to my no-sugar experiment, I want to see what happens when I stop doing that. I am still thinking a lot about food, which I would also really like to see change, but I am less concerned with calories, which is a big improvement.
The only thing I am really finding hard still is the ''fat issue''...Don't get me wrong, I totally believe the Hartwigs, Loren Cordain, Robb Wolf when they say that fats can be good for you and actually help you achieve weight loss. I do not at all doubt their expertise, but my fear of fat runs deep...I am still scared that when I start eating fat, I might eat too much of it without realizing, and then start to store it up around my waist.
Like, with eggs. Eggs are one part protein, one part fat.  So, when I eat 2-3 eggs for breakfast, I think that is enough fat. But is it really? Should I use more fat, i.e. fry em off (in coconut oil, I am on the ''paleo team'' who are against ghee and butter''), or eat some avocado on the side? Same with meatloaf, I eat 100 % grassfed, organic meat (i.e. game meat: Calloway cattle and Highland cows). But sure there is fat in beef mince. So, a big slice of meatloaf, will provide me the necessary protein, and in my book, also the proper amount of fat. But again, is this true, or should I eat some more fat? I really don't know what to make of that ''thumb-size'' serving suggestion - when my protein is not a lean cut of meat like a beef steak or a chicken breast (in which case I have no problem adding some avocado or olive oil to my meal) but minced beef or chicken thighs..Oh and what about beef broth - made from a beef shank. It has some bone marrow, but is it enough fat - in a 2liter soup + 800 grams of chopped veggies? Or is it wise to add some plain beef meatballs, say 300 grams? ( 300 grams for convenience, for that is how my minced meat is packaged).
I really really want my body to become fat adopted, but I am still confused as to how to achieve this..Should I also cut the carbs - i.e. less carrots, beets, and pumpkin? I think it might be a good idea to post this question  in the ''whole 30 meal planning'' topic...:) (thinking out loud)..

Right. Off to do some work now. Best of luck to everyone! 

hi all! happy friday! we have ALMOST made it through week 1! not gonna lie....the last 2 days my energy levels have been bouncing around.....but today i overslept like i had been in a coma---went to bed at 830pm and overlept and woke up 12.5 hours later...haven't had the time or energy to workout this week but i'm hoping for today since it's friday.....but super groggy and sleepy this morning....no serious cravings...though i have been getting really hungry in between meals....and i haven't really snacked, just tasted a few of the paleo and whole30 compliant snacks that i ordered....the chomps beef jerky is good....and so are the primal packs.

also just wanted to share (and pardon me if i already have)....the butternut squash, cauliflower and carrot mash is to die for. so friggin good. a heaping helping of that alongside the mocha rubbed post roast (with extra carrots, kale, and spinach in the gravy) is beyond satisfying....and the other night i made the beef, butternut squash and kale soup for my boyfriend...and i have a ton leftover from it....he loved it!

i think the food i made itinitally, which i will stlill be eating for a while, was probably starch-heavy.....a lot of sweet potatoes and butternut squash....so i need to focus now on maybe incorporating some less starchy vegetables....i think i'll do that this weekend.

stay strong ladies!

-Abigail

p.s. welcome danielle! and good luck to you and your husband!

Hello everyone!

So, it's officially Week 2 of Whole30! I thought I'd check this topic and report on how I'm doing so far, and hopefully you ladies can share your progress, too!

@Sarah: You are the best cheerleader ever. I've reread your posts here several times when I wasn't doing so well, and it helps so much. Thank you! I love how you share your thoughts and fears, too. How is your battle against the sugar dragon going? I am also curious if you got some answers to your questions about fat/protein ratios, carbs and fat adoption. I'm not a nutritionist, but all I can say is - it never hurts to try, and when you see the results a lot of people have achieved on this program, it's a very convincing reason to just put your fears aside and trust. I know it's hard, but it's possible! Also, meditation may help overcome some of the fears and compulsive ideas.

@Abigail: Your meals sound delicious! I'm going to try some (or all) of them this week. In my experience, the hunger pangs between meals go away if I eat more fresh non-starchy veggies with each meal and drink lots of water. Hope you find the time and energy to work out this week!

@Danielle: You're so lucky to be doing this with your husband! I have to cook different things for the two of us now, since my hubby isn't ready to give up his bread and cookies. Best of luck to both of you!

@Hollye&Kimber: Haven't heard from you in a while! Have you been able to stick to the program? 

@Denise: How are you feeling? I hope your bug is finally gone!

Personally, I find that the first week has had almost no impact on my appearance, but it certainly has affected how I feel! My waistline remains more or less the same and my skin is not exactly glowing just yet, and I'm still strugging with digestive issues. The only visible change is that my tongue, which has always been covered in a white coating which no amount of scraping could remove, is completely clean and pink now!

BUT: my energy levels are high. I fell calm and can handle stress much easier. I am more focused and productive at work; somehow, procrastination seems boring now! I also, weirdly, feel better about how I look, not so scared to look at myself, even trying out some dance moves as I pass the floor length mirror in the hallway. My husband says he loves the change in my overall mood (in fact, he has asked if I could possibly stretch this "diet" for longer than a month - and I just might do that!)

hi ladies! woot woot! how is everyone doing? this week---well started sunday actually---is SO MUCH BETTER! friday was the absolute worst day of my life! it was my "kill all the things" day....i was like a grumpy, testy, narcoleptic at work....couldn't focus, couldn't keep my eyes open...i actually took an hour and a half of leave in the afternoon so i could go home and sleep! but i stopped at the grocery store to get some more kale and garlic, but it was not my normal store....20 minutes later and still looking for garlic and i almost started crying in the middle of shoppers! i recounted this story for my bf and he was like, "i'm sooo glad i was working!" came home, ate an early dinner and passed out on the couch with the dog....slept for several hours, woke up and went to bed! lol 

saturday morning i SLEPT (not dozed), until 1:30 in the afternoon.....woke up and had breakfast, took the dog out....and had every intention of finishing a couple of christmas presents i'm knitting....and i fell asleep again! off and on for the rest of the day....woke up and had dinner and went to hockey practice. came home, had a hard boiled egg and went to bed. sunday i seemed to normalize. i woke up at a normal hour an dmy energy level was consistent all day...had a hockey game that night...monday was fresh! i actually forgot to eat (which has literally never happened to me)...i wasn't starving when i went to bed, when i woke up, or in between meals....it was great. though i had my first real challenge when my boyfriend wanted to go out to this place we love, they have great vodka and pizza specials on weeknights, and their pizza is fantastic.....he got a pizza and i got a very bland spinach salad with just avocado, chicken and egg, and oil to top...they didn't even have vinegar! that was rough....

i tried to get him on board to start monday, which is the latest anyone can start if they want to be done before thanksgiving...and it's our opinion that if you don't make it before then, you may as well wait till jan 1! he is being very indulgent though, and eating all my whole30 meals without complaint! very supportive.  However, one of my co-workers is thinking about starting, so yay!

i'm pretty confident that i haven't lost any weight yet....or inches...though to be fair, i haven't been working out (sigh)...just a couple days of hockey, which is better than nothing....i was going to get up early this morning and do PiYo but my dog kept me up last night, and it was storming this morning---couldn't bring myself to do it! 

when do we get tiger blood??!! lol

-Abigail

Hey, all! I have been trying to post here, but having technical difficulties! Finally at a desktop where things work a little better.

My bug is all gone now - all those vitamins are doing the trick! I had some trouble over the weekend  :(  (I still haven't quite got the hang of eating out on a whole30 - so many temptations!), but have now had four great days.

I seem to do best when I take the time to actually write out a menu, put together a shopping list and cook ahead. So far, I've had paleo pumpkin chili, roasted red bell pepper and sweet potato soup and a great scramble of eggs, sausage and sweet potatoes with miscellaneous veggies on hand. I also made a beef stew in the crockpot and am  planning a batch of cauliflower fried rice with grilled chicken for tomorrow. I have a butternut squash on my counter just waiting to be made into something yummy - likely a casserole of some sort.

I think my biggest obstacle to doing a perfect whole30 is my family - they do not want to do a whole30, at least not right now. And while they are willing to try about half of the dishes I make for myself, they still like their hotdogs, chips, cereal and sandwiches. I am ok with that as long as I have my own compliant dishes and foods on hand. It is when the cupboards start to get bare and I'm needing to do a grocery run that I start having trouble.

Thankfully I know that and can generally plan ahead to avoid too much trouble. Anyway, right now I feel great! I love how my tummy gets flatter during a whole30 and my face loses some of the bloat so that I actually appear to have real cheek bones. ;) I also love how my inside troubles clear up after a week or two of eating right - no more heartburn, diarrhea, gas or bloating! And getting good sleep is an out-of-this-world benefit to getting on track diet-wise.

Hang in there, ladies! Sounds like you are all doing really well so far. Hopefully that tiger blood is right around the corner and the rest of this journey will be a cake walk! :ph34r:

Denise

I really like all the things you ladies are saying. I am on Day 2 and I am doing pretty well. I recently gained 17 pounds in 3 months without really having any fun eating. My doctor just diagnosed me with extreme estrogen dominance post menopause which can cause extreme weight gain. But sadly once my hormones are back in check, I wont experience extreme weight loss. I am a yo yo dieter and my main way of losing weight is starving myself. I just don't have the energy to do that again but find that trying to make myself full is a scary feeing for me. I don't trust my body anymore and this experience has really traumatized me. I don't mean to sound dramatic but I am really upset about how I look. I too hate my body and want to hide inside.

Dear ladies, 

Today is day 10 of our whole30, and the timeline tells us that for a lot of people, day 10 and 11 are two of the hardest days to get through. Moreover, people are most likely to quit the program on these two days! So: here's to all of you for still going on strong! I am definately impressed :D. I do take comfort in the fact that these days are usually quite hard on people, for I've surely experienced my share of ''cravings'' these last two days, whilst I was cooping rather smoothly all the days before. It is good to know that we are not ''alone'' in our troubles. I for one, tend to trivialize my issues. I have all these voices in my head telling me that I should not be such a baby about all of this, it's just food, it's just sugar, it's ugly to be struggling with such a thing when half the world is starving/dying, so toughen up and go find yourself a real problem''. But seriously, I am finding some thought patterns (and the accompanying behavioral responses) real hard to break, and it comforts me that so many people doing the whole30 are experiencing similiar difficulties, and that there are so many topics here devoted to them. Makes me feel slightly less of an egoistic idiot :) 

Also, thanks everyone for posting your progress/thoughts and feelings. I really enjoy going online, seeing the ''there's a new post added" message and reading your stories.  Definately makes this whole experience a lot more fun. 

@Lisamurrah: Welcome Lisa :) I am very happy that this topic has been helpful. I so hope that you will develop a better relationship with food, and with your body. I too have always starved myself in order to lose weight, but lately, I cant find the energy to do that, and though I know Im actually healthier, I almost wish as though I could still do that. So, I think I really understand where you are coming from, and I think its really brave of you to start a whole30. You should not forget though (and I am reminding myself here too) that it can really take quite some time before your body adjusts to this new way of eating - a way of eating that actually involves EATING A LOT, instead of very little. I have been starving my body regularly for the last four years, to compensate the times that I eat too much (too much in my book anyway) or give in to unhealthy sugary snacks, and so many people have told me that it could take years (literally years!) before your body adjusts to ''normal''. If you eat too little, your body will go into ''starvation mode'' and cling on to anything you give it. But then, when you're eating more and treating your body in a healthier way, because people say that you should keep your metabolism going, you may gain weight because your body is still not understanding that it will receive some proper food portions tomorrow as well! I don't know if this applies to you, but this is how I totally lost trust in my body. It always seems as though all these conflicting strategies that seem to work for others (eat less, exercise more, or eat more and exercise more, or eat more and exercise less so your body can built muscle etc. etc.) never work for me, as though it doesnt matter whether I exercise 5 to 6 times a week, or only 2 days a week, whether I eat 1000 or 1500 kcal a day, nothing ever seems to change, but maybe thats because my body is still utterly confused, because I have treated it so badly for so long. The effects of years and years of unhealthy behavior may not be easily undone..So, try to have faith, and try to focus on becoming healthy again. Nourish your body, eat a lot of good stuff, (veggies, protein, fat) and try not to focus on the outside, for you must probably heal your body from the inside first before your outside appearance will change. Again, I am saying this to myself as much as I am saying it to you. It just kinda breaks my heart when you say that you hate your body and want to hide inside, for I can relate all too well..Good luck girl, and again, give yourself some credit for trying this. Taking responsibility for your health like this is a big deal. :) 

@Kay: Seriously Kay, I read your log and it sounds as though you are doing BRILLIANT. I mean, no snacking, working out every day, no cheats, eating well-composed meals..I know its kinda weird, because I dont know you at all (other than your screen name and what you've been eating the last 9 days :P), but I honestly feel proud of you. I also think its extremely funny that you called me ''the best cheerleader ever'', just because everyone I know would lough out loud when they would hear that. Seriously, I am known as a rather melancholic, serious ''einselganger'' (loner), and the idea that the word ''cheerleader'' and everything that one usually associates with this term (happy peppy blond girls bouncing up and down) would somehow apply to me, seems rather crazy. But, thanks, I guess, I am very glad that my posts have helped you, even though it sounds as though you are doing a hell of a job on your own ;)  

@Abigail: I am super happy for you that this week is so much better than the previous one in terms of energy, and that your boyfriend is supportive and enjoying your whole30 meals. Also great to hear that you are alreeady inspiring a coworker to try the whole30 program. I think it would be great to have a ''real life whole30 buddy'' to share experiences with, to have someone to call when you're craving something really badly or when you're over the moon happy about some recipe you've tried. 

@Denise: I think its really good that you know what helps you most to get through this program succesfully (i.e. the mealplanning) and what is most likely to trip you up (empty cabinets and stubborn family ;)). I seriously applaude you for sticking to the program when your whole family is still enjoying so many non-compliant foods, around you all the time. Must be hard! Luckily, it sounds as though you are already experiencing some real benefits from the whole30. Good for you :) 

As for me, I am doing quite well, though I still don't trust my body nor my brain (I know they are both my body, but I hope you guys understand me) and the signals they give me. For instance, everyone on the forum keeps saying that the meals you eat should keep you satiated for 4-5 hours, and, if not, that you are eating too little. The last couple of days, I have had bad cravings for things in between meals. Not chocolate or chips, but real food, like protein, veggies, and yeah, I do miss my fruit. But seriously, it CAN"T be the size of my portions, for they are HUGE. I almost feel bad to eat them, they are that big. Trust me when I tell you that my portions are in check - i totally stick to the meal template because I really want to do this right. I am really full after a meal, and I drink some tea, and then 2 hours later, bam bam bam, all I can think about is food. On the forum, they say that if you are hungry for steamed fish and broccoli, then you know that you are really hungry. I. could. eat. fish. and. broccoli. all. day. long. Seriously, with the stuff I am eating, I cannot be hungry. I am now thinking that this signal your brain ought to sent that tells you that you are full/had enough, is just not working for me, or, possibly, its because I am so focussed on food right now with this whole whole30 thing (hihi) that the 'I want to eat'' part of my brain is just constantly triggered. I don't know. Its annoying as hell, especially since my the changes I've made aren't all that significant, for I was eating paleo for 4 years already. The biggest change I've made is eating more, and eating less fruit..I would say that such a combination of changes would have to result in being LESS hungry, rather than more. I have also been exercising less, due to a knee injury (very, very bummed out about that, but I need to let it heal before I start to put stress on it again, or it will just get worse), so again, I would think that, since I am consuming less energy, I would also have to be LESS hungry..Sorry about this frustration rant you guys. I am just rather insecure about this..:) I am gonna post this question in another forum again, see what people have to say. About my previous question, concering fat intake, basically what everyone kept telling me was: eat more fat, don't be afraid of fat, fat is good for you and a more or less self-satiating substance (meaing that you won't overeat on fat too easily). I am trying to be less afraid of fat but I really want to lose some weight so yeah. Still not too big on that ''add a dallop of mayo'' thing. We'll see. 

Also, it may be due to the fact that I was already eating paleo, but I am seeing little to no changes, which kinda bums me out a little. There's still the fat around the waistline (not that I imagined it to melt away in 9 days but still), there are still spots/pimples on my face, and I am still craving stuff. The only real positive that I can think of is that I feel slightly better about myself, because I KNOW that I am feeding myself better and getting healthier. Oh how I wish to be able to exercise a lot again. I really miss doing that - its a great way to relieve some of that frustration that I am now pouring all over you guys. Again, sorry for that. I really don't want to complain too much, for nothing has gone very wrong, and I am actually really enjoying cooking and trying out new recipes..Well. good note to end on I guess :) On to day 11!

Sarah, Thank you so much for the encouragement. I am doing this "diet" to lose weight. If I gain more I don't know what i will do. How does one make the shift to just be happy feeding their body better and not be attached to the outcome? I am really messed up with food issues. I am afraid to be full...means I will get fat.....I am afraid to be hungry...might eat the wrong thing. I think my mindset already on day 2 is I am depriving myself for an outcome of lost weight. It seems like after 2 weeks on the plan that people are really feeling better and proud of themselves. Hopefully that will kick in for me.

Archived