Nuts

weeyin13

Hi ya. I'm on day 11 and it's going well. But weekends at work are horrific. These are the days people bring in cakes, cookies and everyone goes to KFC or McDonalds for lunches. I always bring my own lunch do that's ok but I was pondering on some nuts for snacking so I can avoid (politely) the cookies and cakes. How much would anyone say is a good guide for snacking? I was thinking of almonds. Thanks

The general guidance on a Whoke30 is to snack only when genuinely hungry (vs. snacking out of habit). Ask yourself if you could eat something bland, like steamed fish and broccoii. If so, the recommendation is to have a mini-meal containing protein, veg and fat. Nuts are a fat source on a Whole30. A serving of nuts is one closed handful.

In a social situation like you described, sipping a bottle of sparkling water or kombucha could be another possible approach.

BYO compliant fried chicken! Uses almonds. 

I posted this on our 8/21 forum on our American Classics day and someone made it and LOVED it. 

http://paleocomfortfoods.com/in-the-kitchen/fried-chicken-worth-a-cover-shot/

Compliant American Classics

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/22006-30-more-ingredient-of-day-links-for-each-day-of-the-whole-30-part-2/?p=232409

Fried chicken, cake and cookies every weekend?  Pretty soon they'll need to widen the aisles, but not for you.

Do they ring a bell and everyone comes running, is there a specific reason why you're asking about food other than at a meal?  If nuts might help you through the temptation, eat them as part of your meal so you continue to develop the 4-5 hour gap and the resistance between.  The end result is worth more than the brief satisfaction of some nuts.

Physibeth and Sleeve. Thanks for the replies. I actually explained in work what I was doing with the whole30 and some were interested. So that's good. Weekend meals st work have always been quite social but as they sat and ate fried chicken I sat with my steak and salad with citrus and oil dressing with a few people looking over my shoulder with envy.

Well done! Soon you'll get to the place where the fast/junk foods won't tempt you because your food tastes so much better.

I live and work around a large number of vegetarians, and they have absolutely NO problem insisting that potlucks and group eating experiences accommodate them. I am learning to do likewise.

Physibeth and Sleeve. Thanks for the replies. I actually explained in work what I was doing with the whole30 and some were interested. So that's good. Weekend meals st work have always been quite social but as they sat and ate fried chicken I sat with my steak and salad with citrus and oil dressing with a few people looking over my shoulder with envy.

Thanks for all the replies guys. Today was positive at work. I don't have to apologise for saying no but I think they understand ill still take part in the social side.... thanks but no thanks to the fried chicken etc. and a couple if people are away home today with the whole30 website details. So that's gotta be a plus :-)

Archived