I apologize if this topic has been discussed. How do you store your fresh vegetables?

We have an amazing farmer's market in my town and I would love to purchase solely from there, my only set back is that most of the veggies spoil and wilt after a day or two. Strawberries are moldy the next day; celery and carrots are completely wilted after three... I'm sad to say that the produce I buy from Safeway does not do this and will stay fresh the entire week or longer (makes me wonder if they are sprayed with preservatives). So how can I keep my farmer's market produce fresh for the duration of the week?

Thank you!

I can't remember where I read this, but it has helped a lot. I have the same problem with produce going bad so fast, especially fruit.

When I get home with fruit and veggies, I fill a big bowl with water and add a good slug of organic apple cider vinegar. Then I put one fruit in and let it sit for 15 minutes or so. Take the fruit out, rinse, put in a container, and put in the fridge. Then do the next fruit, and so on. Strawberries, grapes, raspberries, anything without a peel.

Veggies, I do same thing after cutting, trimming, etc. Then, I either cook them and store them cooked, or put them in the fridge to cook in the next few days.

ann

Archived