Reintroduction - Alcohol

Hi Everyone,

I would like to extend my Whole 30 up until a girlfriend's wedding. (45 days total). However if I do that the first item I would reintroduce back would be alcohol.

A. Is this a bad idea?

B. Is there one form of alcohol that is better to start with?

I will be staying away from Beer because I am gluten intolerant for sure and that seems like a double whammy. I will also not be drinking any mix with my alcohol (or very little) because of the sugar content.

Suggestions would be awesome.

I would like to start with Red Wine but if that is a bad idea I would like to know now instead of being in pain at the wedding.

Cheers,

Ren

Well yesterday was my last day & I went to bookclub and I drank at least a bottle of red wine :ph34r:

Horribly hungover this morning, I even vomitted up my peppermint tea this morning :o

I felt fine while I was drinking it though, really fine :D

I also took milk thistle tablets before & during and drank a few glasses of water.

have you heard of norcal margaritas? basically tequila + club soda + a few limes squeezed in (literally ask for them to squeeze limes in while you watch..they've tried to give me "lime juice" before that was reallllly sugary)

http://www.cavemanbistro.com/2011/03/19/norcal-margaritas/

http://www.paleoplan.com/2010/01-13/traveling-and-the-norcal-margarita/ (in this, robb wolf says dry red wine, norcal margaritas, and vodka)

Now there's a topic I couldn't pass - "Reintroduction - Alcohol". :)

Here's what I did when I reintroduced alcohol. And yes, red wine was my first reintroduction also.

1. I ate all 3 meals Paleo, and made sure I had some good carbs with each.

2. I had a sweet potato with dinner.

3. About a half hour after dinner I had a glass of wine.

4. Then I drank 2 glasses of water.

5. Then I drank another glass of wine and went to bed.

No issues here. I was afraid I would be a bit of a party girl, but it was fine.

My fear was that wine would through me WAY off plan. I can tell you that after #2 I wanted peanut butter toast (with butter). I went to bed in the nick of time!

Good luck!! Just don't do it on an empty stomach, whatever it is.

Yes jumping back in at the deep end (of the wine barrel) was a big mistake. I went back to bed for 3 hours till 2.30, ate lunch, felt ok, but then around 6pm felt worse, really worse, and up my lunch came :( back to bed.

I'm afraid to eat anything now ,8.30pm. Hope to feel much better tomorrow, we're going to a wedding!

Red wine was my first reintroduction a couple weeks ago, and it was fine, mostly. I had about 4-5 glasses at a friend's wedding, but also indulged in bbq sauce, bruschetta, and pie. I actually felt mostly fine the next day, but did experience some very strong cravings (for buttered toast, or ice cream). Went back to "clean" for a few days, and had another couple glasses of wine on Wednesday night. The main thing I notice is that is destroys my sleep. I haven't yet formally reintroduced a food item, as I don't really miss any foods - but maybe next week I'll do a dairy day.

Wine is too sugary for me. It triggers cravings and leave SMS feeling unwell. I like a good dirty martini. I am nervous about reintroducing alcohol too. My pattern is to come off a cleanse and decide only cocktails on special occasions but always seems to slippery slope it's way to keeping it in the house (my husband is less dedicated to being moderate to rare drinkers). Does anyone have "rules" they use? Like "only on date nights" or "only on weekend" or " never in the house" or a limit to the number or types of booze? I really don't want to go completely sober and also don't want to end up back on the drink after work then crave bagels in the morning, the crash in the afternoon and want sweets then need a drink after work.

I finished my W30 on Aug 9 and went on vacation Aug 11. I did not intend to reintroduce any dairy or legumes, but knew I would have sushi one night. So gluten-free grains and some added sugar was most of what I added. Plus alcohol.

I used to be a beer drinker. My boyfriend, his brother and friends are all serious beer drinkers. I am proud to report I did not drink any beer and I didn't want any either. I ended up drinking a bottle of chardonnay over the course of the week (less one glass for a friend) and had 2 vodka drinks on separate nights. It was definitely more volume than I intended over the week, but wasn't a lot on any given night. For me, I was on vacation and my father is having a lot of health issues. For me it was best to just imbibe. I do not regret it and I didn't get any hangovers mostly because I never had more than 2 drinks in a night.

Give yourself a pep talk before hand. Stay strong :)

I am kind of in the same boat. Just wrapped up my Whole30 and I am going out TONIGHT with friends. Of course there will be alcohol and I am definitely in the mood to imbibe. Remembering my last Whole30 and my foray into drinking, the main piece of advice I have is to just take it slow--no shots/chugging contests/etc etc (haha)!

Beyond that, make your first alcoholic drink something delightful, something "worth it." High-quality liquor or a nice wine, something without any sugar-filled mixers. Eat a protein-heavy meal before drinking and be sure to drink a lot of water before, after & during! Good luck!

had a bottle of wine last night at a BBQ after about 45 days booze free...

didn't plan to drink the whole thing, but got a little carried away. although I stayed away from the bread (have decided to avoid gluten-grains when possible!), I now recall having some Pringles... :ph34r: oh dear.

when I got home, drank about a litre of water, so not feeling too shabby today. do have a bit of a sugar craving now, though. argh!

Maybe your palate will change, so I agree with the above posters to be really picky.

On day 31 I had some hard cider, one I really liked before the Whole30 that's a little dry. It tasted like Martinelli's, so sweet and weird. Only on day three of a second Whole30 but as of now not too interested in having it again next month.

• 3 weeks later...

I tried to finally have wine last weekend, but the only choices were horrible so one sip and I took a pass. My general plans regarding alchohol are to limit adult beverages to no more than two drinks per week. That's enough for one enjoyable evening and just abstain the rest. If I end up having three drinks when i only plan two, then that's still not too bad. I love red wine and vodka martinis and will just stick with those. They have been my favorite for years although a nice cold glass of chardonnay is nice in summer.

To avoid the open bottle of wine issue, I no longer drink at home and save it for a dinner out with my husband. Whenever I do choose to have some at home, I will just buy the individual bottles or half bottles to make it easier to limit my quantity. I could easily polish off an entire bottle in one evening if I was in the mood, so I just don't plan to go there...

On a positive note, I'd rather have one Grey Goose martini with dinner than a big piece of cheesecake so all in all, it's not too terrible a choice! Could be worse!

Alcohol was my only reintroduction post-Whole30. The first night I had a similar experience as Derval. The next time I tried, I had only one glass of wine at a book club meeting and had horrible sleep that night. During my Whole 30 I slept like a rock but one glass of wine sent me back into my all too familiar "go to bed fine but wake up at 330am and not be able to go back to sleep" pattern

It was a problem I had for awhile pre- whole30 and at one point last Spring I thought it was coffee. Gave up coffee for 30 days, had no withdrawal when I stopped, sleep patterns didn't change when i wasnt drinking it and nothing happened when I reintroduced. Post Whole30 I realized it was the wine- even in very small amounts. Bummer.

I'm wondering how best to reintroduce alcohol. Unlike the recommendations in ISWF for other food groups, I have a feeling the same suggestion (i.e. having a few servings of the food group through out the day) does not apply to alcohol. So, what I'm really wondering is would I mess up my reintroduction of another food group (today's day 31 and I'm reintroducing dairy) by having a glass of alcohol tonight? I've definitely missed it and might be going out to celebrate a professional landmark, so it would be really nice to partake. But I also messed up my last Whole30 by not understanding the reintroduction aspect at all (this was sadly pre-ISWF), so I don't want to lose the valuable knowledge to be gained from proper reintroduction. Thanks!

I reintroduced alcohol after my Whole 30 and it didn't go so great - I will try again and have some hope for organic wines or one without added sulfites or hard liquor but most red wines I will have to cut way back on. If I had had dairy as well I wouldn't have known what had caused the problem. The Whole 30 gets you to a clean slate place and the only way to be sure what the culprits are for you is to reintroduce them one at a time.

Archived