Too much fat in my meals?

CreatingMe

Hi there - I can't find any topic similar to this and am hoping this forum is a good place to ask as I'm wondering if I should modify my meals. I am on day 12 and finding this a great experience - I haven't been overly craving anything yet, which is great! I have been tracking my food in My Fitness Pal, not to count calories or restrict myself, but just to keep track so I have a record of what I ate for future Whole 30 adventures.

For the first time in 12 days however I noticed the pie chart at the top when I completed my day that tells you what percentage of your diet came from fat, protein, and carbs. I knew there would be more fat in my diet because I have typically followed the popular myth that eating a low fat diet is key to weight loss. I also know its OK that I'm adding these healthy fats, but is it really OK that 50% of my calories are coming from fat?? This may just be my old school way of thinking but I want to be sure. That seems like a lot! I know fat is more calorie dense than the others. Thanks for any advice!

It's taboo to talk about numbers, but some thoughts...

Are you deducting fat that remains in the pan on the stove, or in the roasting pan in the oven?

Are you selecting items in your evil number toy that are kinda sorta close enough to what you ate but not exactly?

What are your fat sources?

And about that number... http://www.gnolls.org/3374/there-is-no-such-thing-as-a-calorie-to-your-body/

If your total fat and total simple and grain carbs were 70%, you likely wouldn't be shocked, but that produces more stored glycogen than a 50% fat diet. 

tracking in My Fitness Pal is contrary to the whole30. full stop. Many people do not trust their own bodies to tell them how much to eat, but for the majority of people eating whole30-style, hunger and satiety signals can be trusted. Learning to recognize when you are hungry and full is an important part of this plan. Tracking just adds confusion and doubt as you are experiencing right now. If you wish to keep a log of what foods you are eating, go ahead and write down your meals, on paper or online, but using a tracker and thinking/hoping to ignore the other data it gives you is a mistake.

If you want to post examples of your meals we would be happy to review and discuss tweaks to better balance them, but no, we don't have specific numbers for macros. 50% of calories from fat might be just fine, if the fat is good quality. It might be too much or two little too. How do you feel? Do you have energy for the activities you want to do? Can you concentrate when you need to? Are you hungry before it is time for the next meal? The answers to these questions will let you know if you need more food or less, or more fat or less in your daily meals.

MyFitnessPal won't help you get fit, and it's not your pal when it comes to nutrition. Whole30 is about learning a different approach to nutrition, and it just won't ever agree with anything about MyFitnessPal. Truly. Get rid of MyFitnessPal. If you feel that logging your food helps you, you can start a log here on the forums (in the Log section), use a blog, take pics and show them here or on Instagram, or keep an old-school food journal on (gasp) paper (I know, I know, who does this anymore? :lol:  ).

If you are interested in some feedback on your meal composition, post a few days' worth of meals here and folks will chime in with ideas.  In general, keep this in mind:

1. One-two palm-size portions of protein

2. One thumb-size portion or more of fat

3. 2-4 cups of veggies, more if the veggies are salad greens

Do that three times a day, more if you're hungry.

Cooking fat does not count as part of your fat amount. Nuts are a fat source on Whole30. Fruit should not push vegetables off of your plate. If you are hungry between meals, eat a mini-meal of protein and fat. If you work out, eat a pre-workout meal of fat and carbs and a post-workout meal of protein and carbs. 

Most women undereat, and most women severely restrict fat. As a general rule, you probably need to eat more than you believe is morally right and proper, and as a general rule, you probably need to eat far more fat than you can imagine could possibly be remotely healthy. We've been lied to about what to eat, and how much, and how that fits in with being women in the world. Eat hearty, take your place in the world, and ditch MyFitnessPal pronto.

OK, message heard loud and clear! :) I will ditch My Fitness Pal! Thanks for the feedback. I honestly wasn't tracking for the purpose of anything but to have a record of what I ate, but I do see what you mean about pretending I can ignore what other data pops up there. I didn't think of it that way, and I see I was holding on to old habits of needing to be so aware of calories, fat, etc.

I will take to just listening to my body and writing on paper to keep a record of what I ate. This way too I can keep a column to the side to write down how I felt that day and how hungry I was (something I have not had too much an issue with so far so I guess I am eating enough). I do plan to start working out again this week so the tips for pre/post workout meals help too.

I also had been wondering about the cooking fat counting - if it doesn't, why use it? I do not need fat when I brown beef, etc, as it has fat of its own to keep it from sticking to the pan. Some things I need it for, some I don't.

Anyway thanks so much for the feedback - I am truly striving to make this be a positive change for life and I am glad for the support!

The Two Grand app let's you take pics of all your meals and make comments on how you feel etc, so that might be an alternative for you too - you can search for other people doing whole 30 and stalk their meals if you like, plus it makes you put a bit more effort in to presentation (well, it does me, anyway) which I find is important for feeling satisfied.

Re: adding fat to the pan - that's totally up to you. If it tastes a bit nicer when it's cooked with extra fat then add some. If you don't notice the difference then don't. Just makes sure you're adding enough to the meal afterwards.

Archived