5k race in 1 week

Sarah_rose

I wasnt nervous about my body switching from burning carbs to fat until today. My pre workout meal is 2 eggs with a little coconut milk. I usulaly run in the afternoon so I hav other meals behind me butt oday I ran just after my pre workout meal and boy were my legs heavy. i  only ran 5miles andi t felt like a marathon! I think Im goingto tr yan d run as much asp ossible in the morning tihs week to mimic needing to run early for the race on sunday. I dontreallyare  c if I dont run a great time but ID on't want to feel as horrible as I did today!! Any suggstions or feedback?

oh yeah sweet potatoes are going to be my best freind from Fridayun until race day! I dont want to screw up the whole avoiding carbbs before wroking out so on Saturday night I might wake up at like 3am and each my breakfast then and then have my eggs before my race.

Thats what i keep hearing that it takes a while to adapt. I am on day 12 and have been running 6-8 miles with no problem. BUt today my legs were just so incredibly heavy and I wouldnt care so mmuch if it wasnt for the upcoming race. I think I am just psyching myself out by thinking about how many carbs i am used to consuming and how few i am consumig now. I think it isj ust screwing with my head. Hopefully tomorrow's run will be better.      

Just remember - everyone has rubbish runs sometimes, regardless of their diet! But definitely eat sweet potatoes or potatoes for dinner the night before you run, then depending on what time your race is, just eat a smaller than usual breakfast beforehand (I ate a normal size breakfast 2 hours before a race once - not good). I wouldn't be getting up at 3am though, that's just going to ruin you!

My race is at 8 so that's only five hours prior and my coah always said you should be up five hours before the race anyway! if I'm able to go to sleep early I probabbly will wake up early for my sweet potato it will probably help me mentally! I'm a weird one!

My race is at 8 so that's only five hours prior and my coah always said you should be up five hours before the race anyway! if I'm able to go to sleep early I probabbly will wake up early for my sweet potato it will probably help me mentally! I'm a weird one!

Really? I usually get up such that I have some time to get ready and eat and arrive at the race early enough to not be stressed which varies based on how big a race it is. 

If you don't normally run in the morning then that could certainly explain the dead leg feeling. I always used to run in the morning and when I didn't I felt the dead legs. It is amazing how much your body adapts. That said getting your training runs in at a time similar to your race time isn't a bad idea if you can manage it.

Sadly I work at 5am so I can't run into he morning but I'm about to go go run today and I'm feeling pretty energized so I'm hoping it was just a fluke thing! And I was thinking about it today, I'm gonna have to get up super early anyway so I can get a parking spot since its a marathon half and 10k also!

Archived