Kelly's Whole30 Log

kelthevet

Day 22

Had my 3rd CrossFit session tonight, loved it. Who'd have thought I would ever be attempting headstands again!

M1 - 2 scrambled eggs with Kalua pig (not a huge fan, tastes very 'porky' but I had to do it without bacon. Preferred the carnitas I cooked in week one, but that was a different cut of meat so perhaps that was the issue), and a serving of mixed veg as prepared yesterday, 1/4 avocado, radish, a few strawberries and pineapple. Black coffee.

M2 - Sauteed pork and veg with 1/4 avocado

Preworkout - one apple (didn't have a protein source on me)

M3 - zucchini noodles with 2 scrambled eggs, spinach and parsley, cooked in EVOO as my fat source. Yum! Pineapple.

Day 23

Didn't sleep well last night, tired today. This time in a week I will be finishing day 30!

M1 - 2 scrambled eggs, sweet potato fritter, spinach. Kiwi fruit, black coffee.

M2 - sautéed pork and veg. Apple. Handful of pistachios.

M3 - egg foo yong with pork and pepperoni (compliant and tasty)

Day 24

Tired again today. Even though I take the pill all the time (skip periods as per oncologist's advice) I am having some breakthrough bleeding. I wonder if that's why I am so tired? I got given a gift of chocolates at work - happily passed them on to my colleagues.

M1 - Egg foo young, apple, black coffee

M2 - sauteed pork and veg with avocado, 2 strawberries

M3 - zucchini noodles with roast sweet potato and a 2 egg omelette with spinach sliced and served over the noodles. Yum. Strawberries and blueberries with coconut cream.

Thanks Snoodess, felt a bit better today. Loved CrossFit tonight.

Day 25

M1 - sautéed pork and veg with avocado, strawberries and blueberries, black coffee

M2 - zucchini noodles and baby spinach with a hard boiled egg, a tin of tuna and evoo. Really uninspired and blergh. Had to force it down but had no other options. Funnily enough, a colleague asked what I was eating because 'your lunch normally smells weird but today it actually smells good!" Lol.

HB egg pre workout

M3 - grilled chicken thigh with sautéed veg, a strawberry and some blueberries

Day 26

So tired tonight. I thought I would be sleeping better by now? I do have some stress in my life (work, and I have to move house) so I find it hard to switch off at night. This evening I did something I haven't done in years, got home from work and promptly fell asleep on a chair for an hour - not ideal as then it is difficult to sleep through the night.

M1 - chicken thigh and saute vegies, blueberries and strawberries. Didn't get to finish and didn't touch my coffee as I received a call while eating to say I had been accepted for my new rental and I needed to head over there to sign the papers. Yay!

M2 - Same as M1

M3 - forced myself to eat after waking up - 3 egg omelette with roast sweet potato.

Day 27

Ugh. Feel like I have been run over by a bus today. Had Crossfit this morning immediately before work, I had planned to have a HB egg prior to the workout and take another to have at work as I had to rush to get there on time so no time for a decent breakfast. This was the last of the intro classes so I couldn't miss it but won't do that again. I was rushing and forgot to take any form of nourishment! The work out was intense (loving it!). Drank what I though was plenty of water afterwards and during my shift but had no food of any kind there.

When I got away from work at 1pm, my head ache had set in (I already took paracetamol during the shift as I could feel it coming on). I desperately needed some veggies, so went to the shops. By the time I got home I was overtired, my head was pounding and I didn't feel hungry anymore. I forced myself to eat something (frittata) then had an hour's kip. Today has been totally out of whack, and I still feel terrible, so I'm going to take a sleeping pill to ensure I sleep all the way through the night. Haven't felt the need for one of these in a long time.  :(

I had to go back into work this evening to check on one of my patients (a sick cat who I operated on yesterday). Boy was my mind trying to sabotage me big time! It kept telling me that getting a Fancy Burger (fast food) would be a really good idea and I would feel so much better if I ate one. I was so close to giving in, but I was a good girl and came home and heated up my frittata for dinner.

M1 - nothing

Snack - 3pm -piece sweet potato and some pistachios (while cooking frittata)

M2 - Vegie, peperoni and olive frittata, cherry tomatoes, strawberries and blueberries, and a few pistachios

M3 - Frittata, cherry tomatoes, alfalfa sprouts, blueberries

Day 28

I felt sooo much better this morning, headache was all gone! Went to a special event this afternoon, full of free booze and noncompliant canapés. I had soda water with lemon, and took some strawberries and blueberries (which I shared with my nephew), and a handful of nuts. Very pleased with myself - I have come this far and wasn't prepared to ruin it.

M1 - Frittata, HB egg, alfalfa sprouts, cherry tomatoes, strawberries/blueberries, black coffee.

M2 - 2 crispy fried eggs with salad (cos lettuce, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, alfalfa) with balsamic vinegar

Snack - handful of nuts, a few blueberries/strawberries

M3 - pan fried chicken thigh with roast sweet potato and carrot, broccoli, green beans, 1/2 avocado. Kiwi fruit.

I'm a bit nervous about reintroductions Snoodess! I have a lot going on right now (have to move house and I live alone, so a lot to organise) so have decided to probably just stick with the Whole30 eating and focus on improving my sleep quality until I'm settled in (another month). I'm also due for some blood tests then and am interested to see if there's any differences since starting eating this way. Then I will look at challenging myself. I'd like to be able to tolerate the odd glass of wine, a little dairy, gluten free grains and soy products, but we'll see!

Day 29

M1 - Frittata, lettuce/tomato/cucumber/alfalfa sprouts and 1/4 avocado, kiwifruit, black coffee

CrossFit - first 'real' class. Loved it! This evening I find myself itching to get back there. Must wait til Thursday.  :)

M2 - Grilled chicken thigh  (crispy chicken from Nom Nom Paleo) with sautéed veg, 1/2 avocado, watermelon, black coffee

M3 - Grilled chicken high (as above) and sautéed veg and roast sweet potato/carrot - yum, got the seasoning just right tonight, blueberries/strawberries.

I'm finally not feeling exhausted and maybe tasting the Tiger Blood again. Here's hoping it continues tomorrow.

Day 30!!

I did it! Stoked.  :)

And the tiger blood continued today - I was up at 0630 washing clothes, dishes, cooking breakfast and dinner, and packing up my house ready to move. I felt really good today. My boss commented that my face is looking really slim, thanks. :-)

I'll weigh and measure myself in the morning. 

No plans to drastically change my diet any time soon, I am settled into this way of eating, and will be moving house over the next month which will be hard work, so I'll just carry on, perhaps with the odd special treat, until I'm settled in. Then I'll look at tackling the reintroductions.

M1 - 2 crispy fried eggs on sautéed veg and sweet potato, watermelon, black coffee

M2 - Shepherd's Pie (from Well Fed, but with added veg and mashed sweet potato/cauliflower as the topping) - YUM!, mayo, cherry tomatoes, strawberries and blueberries

M3 - Shepherd's Pie with a fried egg and mayo, strawberries and blueberries with coconut cream and nut spread (my token 'treat' for finishing!)

Look forward to checking in with stats tomorrow.

Post Whole30 Stats and thoughts.

Weight loss 6.5kg (14lb) - !

Lost 22cm, mainly boobs and tummy, still have plenty to go.

Skin is fantastic, I've had one spot in 30 days.

Compared to when I started my energy levels have improved drastically - this was my main goal for the program. My energy is such that I finally feel I can work out, I have joined CrossFit and am really enjoying it. I hope to add a weekly swim into my current regime.

I have become adept at judging how much food I need for the week so have minimised waste, and preparing it so I am never caught out. 

I have really enjoyed the food and only felt a little bored with it once or twice - need to expand my repertoire!

I am proud of myself for lasting the distance.

Things I still need to work on:

- I still need to lose at least 15kg so am definitely a work in progress, but I feel I am equipped with the knowledge to continue, and with the extra energy I have, I can start to amp up the exercise

- My sleeping situation is far from ideal. My goal for the next 30 days is to turn off tv and internet by 9pm and lights out by 10pm. Get up at 6.30am every day. I'll try to incorporate some meditation into that hour, as it does relax me (I find it difficult to switch my mind off!)

- Stress. I am a natural stress head. I'm a vet and I find I tend to get too involved in my cases, and worry about my patients. I really want to figure out how NOT to take work stress home with me.

- Reintroductions. I've got a bit going on right now so am not planning on doing a structured reintroduction yet. I'll wait until I'm settled into my new house in a month. In the meantime I will continue with W30 eating with a few modifications if I feel like it. This morning I ate out for breakfast and really enjoyed a small portion of goat's cheese fetta in my omelette. As long as I don't have any major issues, I hope that I can eventually incorporate gluten free grains, natural sugars, fermented soy products, a little dairy (goat's cheese, natural yoghurt) and a small amount of alcohol into my diet. We'll see!

To keep myself accountable, I'll shift this log over to a new one in the Post Whole30 Log section of the forums.

Thanks Whole30 for helping me to get my life back!

Archived