my whole30 success - finding myself

nicjoy150

When I began my whole30 journey 29 days ago, I was searching.

Searching for something to help me break the spell of terrible eating habits that had taken over me the past few years. Searching for something that would redirect and quiet the constant negative self-talk. Searching for something that would resonate with me and my beliefs and lifestyle. Searching for something to end my unhealthy relationship with food. Searching for something to change me.

To say I had high expectations of the program would be an understatement.

What I found during the last 29 days, however, has exceeded even my loftiest goals. What I found was something better than that for which I was searching — better than a change. What I found was me.

I found the me who can cook a delicious meal. I found the me who can set her mind to something and complete it. I found the me who takes time for herself. I found the me who loves her waistline. I found the me who writes. I found the me who enjoys grocery shopping. I found the me who has a blast with her friends without a sip of alcohol. I found the me who looks forward to exercise. I found the me who doesn’t give up. I found the me who feels amazing. I found the me who is confident. I found the me who is happy.

This journey has become about so much more than winning a challenge at my gym or losing weight or not drinking or eating certain things for 30 days. It has become about me and reminding myself of who I am.

My whole30 brought me back to me.

http://trajectoryoflife.wordpress.com/

"This journey has become about so much more than winning a challenge at my gym or losing weight or not drinking or eating certain things for 30 days. It has become about me and reminding myself of who I am."

Good one!  We're not in a weight loss competition.  We're not sizing each other up like they do on reality weight loss shows.   It's not about how much weight you lose or maybe some gain in 30 days.   It is about building a normal relationship with food and exercise.   A food reset.....returning back to our original factory setttings.

I completely agree nicjoy150.  My Whole30 ended yesterday and someone asked me why I did it.  I think my response in the beginning would have been to regain some control and to pay attention and throw some weight loss in there.  However, now I realize it is about being mindful and being grateful for this body that I like to talk negatively to.  I am also coming back from a fairly severe back injury and have been working out again.  And there have been moments when running and when I want a glass of wine, were I found myself thinking, "this is how change happens".  It's often not easy but wow, what a positive effect when you come out on the other side of making good choices.

I'm not exactly sure what I expected but it I know I didn't expect to appreciate my body and to like myself more than I have in years.  Good for you for finishing and feeling so positive!

Archived