Here we go again...

iloveartichokes

I "finished" my Whole [not quite] 30 one week ago tomorrow. I felt happy about it at first, but that was probably the sugar talking. I ended my program 4 days early, skipped re-intro phase, and went on a total binge. One week later I feel HORRIBLE! Stomach aches, headaches, low energy, and generally not that happy... Today I am reflecting on what went wrong, and here are my assessments...

1. I cheated on the "stay off the scale" rule after about Day 10. I thought I could handle it. Told myself I wouldn't let it get me down and that it would help me stay on track. I lost 10 lbs. in the first 10 days, but then hovered around a plateau for the rest of the program, barely losing 3 more lbs. I think this made me a little crazy even though I wouldn't admit it at the time.

2. I ate a lot of fruit and nut butter. Not only did this probably slow down my weight loss, but I think the constant supply of fructose kept my cravings active. I just replaced chocolate and soda with bananas, apples, and berries. I know fruit is okay in moderation, but I found myself going to them as meal replacements and often as a "snack" when I wasn't really hungry. Sugar is a big issue for me!

3. Organization kind of fell apart after Week 2. By Week 3, I wasn't really planning meals anymore, which meant I was planning and cooking all 3 meals every day. This really stressed me out and I think contributed to my early "burn out". I realize now that while I do love to cook as a creative outlet, I don't love cooking around the clock every day. I did really well in Week 1 when I took the time on the weekend to prep a bunch of meats and veggies.

4. About when I started stepping on the scale I also started eating in front of the TV again. I'm not sure how much this contributed to my downfall, but I figured I would note this as another broken rule. Maybe not focusing on the experience of eating was leading me to an overall feeling of not being satisfied.

So, here I go again. I'm starting over on Monday with Whole30 #2 (really #1 if I actually do the whole 30 days this time).

Since I am trying to lose a lot of weight I am going to eliminate fruit and nut butters altogether. I will just be eating meat and vegetables and some nuts, but I will think of nuts as a structural or flavor addition (like coating chicken or fish) rather than a side dish (as in a bowl of pistachios).

Also, I intend to follow the scale rule this time. I am going to have my husband put them (yeah..I have two) in the attic. I am not at all fond of the attic, so that is a safe place for them.

Lastly, I will eat my meals at the table and not on the couch. I think I let it slide last time because the Olympics were on. No more Olympics, no more excuses!

Not sure if I will post a log on here again. It was a bit tedious, but I will think about it.

Here's to Round 2!!

Good luck in round 2.I am a mad sugar addict as well,far more than starchy carbs.I have been ok with fruit this time but I am not eating that much.I try to avoid nuts as well as I find they are a trigger for me.I have them in the cupboard but I don't really eat them.

It's great how much you have realised this time around and now think about how much better things will go this time around.

Unfortunately I am going to start over on Monday too!! Effin' mexican food! Birthday parties this weekend, dinner with friends. I hear you on the sugar part, it's my downfall. I'm limiting myself to a small serving of berries in the AM. I usually buy just enough berries to make "x" number of servings and I keep the in little serving bowls. It's at least something to look forward to.

How about smashing the scales? Take a baseball bat or hammer to them? I've done that and it was a lot of fun! :)

How about smashing the scales? Take a baseball bat or hammer to them? I've done that and it was a lot of fun! :)

Hahaha!! Awesome!! I'm getting a visual of the scene from Office Space where they smash up the fax machine out in the middle of the desert!

iloveartichokes, I'm impressed with your honesty and your determination. So many of your issues are also mine (staying off the scale, eating in front of the TV/computer). And I also lost about 10 pounds in the first two weeks, and then plateaued, losing only three pounds in the final two weeks, and nothing since completing my W-30 two weeks ago. I've added in some light exercise now, and am hoping that jolts me off this stupid plateau.

One thing that makes this easier for me is I'm a creature of habit - I totally do not mind eating the very same thing for breakfast and lunch every day, and mixing things up only at dinnertime. I enjoyed reading your photo log last time, and got lots of good ideas from you. If you decide to go ahead and do a log again, maybe you could just share your more inspired choices instead of feeling obligated to post every day?

Archived