Bacon Confusion...

Abs1081

Ok, i've seen about a billion things saying there are Whole30 compliant bacon options....and a few people have even recommended Applegate, as they have a sugar free version....but then i saw another post in the forum where the moderator specifically said no sugar, no eat....and the applegate bacon lists 0grams of sugar,  but under ingredients it has "turbinado sugar".....just raw sugar, right? so what the heck? i purchased some of that naked bacon from the naked company, but i also got some of the applegate, though i will not eat it until this is sorted out! does anyone have any insights on this situation?

If there's sugar in the ingredients, it's out. Sometimes people list certain brands and say they are OK, but there may be regional differences, or they may have changed their recipe. You just never know for sure so you have to read the label every single time.

The rule is no sugar or sweetener of any kind in any amount on a Whole30.

The ingredients list, not nutrition label, is what you want to look at for all foods you're evaluating for compliance on a Whole30. If turbinado sugar is in the ingredients list, it's out for a Whole30.

ok great, this is pretty much what i thought i just wanted to make sure....ya my whole foods doesn't carry that brand....but that's ok, i ordered some of the naked bacon, and no, i haven't read the bacon manifesto----i wasn't planning on going overboard with it, but there are some recipes i wanted to use it in, so i will be sure to read that! thank you so much all!

Oh how I wish there was a whole foods near me!! I need this bacon. Not just for TW30, but for life! I love bacon and was told by a nutritionist that pederons is the only type in my local store that has 2 aisles of organic foods I should ever get! They don't carry the no sugar one and won't get any for me unless I get a case! My freezer isn't that big!!

Anyone know of complaint bacon in Canada, specifically Calgary area? I found the Costco brand has a low-sodium version with no added sugar, but it still has the nitrates, so no-go for W30.  Otherwise I haven't had any luck finding something. :(

Anyone know of complaint bacon in Canada, specifically Calgary area? I found the Costco brand has a low-sodium version with no added sugar, but it still has the nitrates, so no-go for W30.  Otherwise I haven't had any luck finding something. :(

Nitrates don't make it non-compliant for Whole30.

If you want to reduce nitrate effect, either bake your bacon, pan fry it at a low temperature, or if all you can find is bacon with nitrates get one that also has ascorbic acid.  All of these decrease the production of nitrosamines, which is what all the fuss is about.

• 1 month later...

I broke down and bought a case of Pederson's special ordered from my local grocery store. Saved over a dollar per pack. I love bacon and it is probably the hardest thing for me to ever give up. Yes easier then coffee and chocolate.

Archived