Whole30 Log, 1st round, 10-14-14

lturner8

My husband and I embarked on our first Whole30 journey yesterday. I bought the book last week, read through the essentials over the weekend, and Monday we stocked our kitchen. We moved our non-compliant food out of sight and created big open shelves for all compliant food at eye-level so when we need to make last-minute decisions we're not trying to mentally sort what we have that is or isn't compliant to make for dinner.

We both made little errors our first day, so we're making this a Whole31.

Day 1: 10/14/14

Breakfast - Leftover egg whites and one yolk (from making compliant mayo the day before) scrambled with ground turkey and frozen spinach. A dab of coconut oil blended into coffee for fat.

Lunch - Leafy green salad with grape tomatoes, green olives, baked chicken breast, and olive oil/vinaigrette dressing.

(I found out later from husband that the vinaigrette spice blend he used to make this dressing ages ago has added sugar, so this was my non-compliant moment. Husband reached for a couple of M&Ms on autopilot at work while getting his morning coffee. So two oopsies for us on this day!)

Dinner - Salmon with homemade aioli (compliant fresh mayo with garlic and cilantro), roasted acorn squash with olive oil, green beans. 

I was happy that despite our slips, we kept compliant the rest of the day.

Yesterday went pretty well. I can already tell that this weekend I need to come up with some more exciting meal options. This week we planned for simple and easy, but that's already feeling boring!

Day 2: 10/15/14

Breakfast - Two egg whites and two whole eggs scrambled with ground turkey and frozen spinach. A dab of coconut oil blended into coffee for fat.

Lunch - Leafy greens with homemade tuna salad, baby carrots, and grape tomatoes. One small apple.

Dinner - Baked chicken breast with Moroccan Dipping Sauce (that sauce was soooo good - will become a staple!), sweet potato with a touch of coconut oil, green beans with a drizzle of olive oil.

I feel like we're leaning too much on fats. When I tracked my macronutrients in MFP it was almost 50%. But eating plain vegetables is so hard! Last night I needed something on my potato and green beans. I'll have to look into how to spice up my veggies without coating them in olive oil. :)

Day 3: 10/16/14

Breakfast - Three Egg McNothings (using prosciutto), half of a banana, and a handful of cashews.

Lunch - Leafy greens with homemade tuna salad, baby carrots, cucumber slices, and grape tomatoes. Three slices of apple.

Dinner - Turkey burger with a small drizzle of Moroccan Dipping Sauce, baked potato with clarified butter, grilled snap peas.

---

The first real trial comes this weekend. I'm feeling great, but there will be lots of temptation these next couple of days. Tonight I'm meeting up with a bunch of coworkers, but I'm not sure if we'll be eating. I'll probably skip out on eating anything and go home to the steak that's thawing in the fridge! Tomorrow I'm going to a football game, so I'll have to either pack a dinner to eat at the stadium, or eat really early before we go at 4:30 so I'm full while we're there.

I'm sure it'll be fine, though. Honestly, this has been easier than I thought. I tried to do South Beach a loooong time ago, but gave up after a couple of days. This time I think I'm more aware of WHY I'm doing this and am more prepared with meal ideas. The only thing I'm really craving is a nice glass of wine. :)

Day 4: 10/17/14

Breakfast - Ground turkey, onions, red bell pepper, two hard boiled eggs. Small banana and a few cashews.

Lunch - Leafy greens with chicken salad, grape tomatoes, cucumber and baby carrots. Small apple.

Dinner - Ribeye steak, mashed sweet potato with coconut milk, steamed broccoli with Moroccan dipping sauce.

Day 5: 10/18/14

Brunch - Scrambled eggs with coconut milk, turkey, red pepper/onion/spinach and sweet potato hash.

Dinner - Hamburger patty with avocado, lettuce, fried egg, and sweet potato fries.

Last meal - Bowl of slow cooked pork shoulder stew with carrots, onions, and celery.

Today was football day, so we did the best we could for dinner while out with friends at a bar. I was happy they had locally sourced and organic meats for their burgers!

Day 6: 10/19/14

Breakfast - Crispy eggs with ground turkey, red pepper, onion, and spinach.

Lunch - Missed while out with friends. No good options at the bar for food; drank iced tea. Had a few bites of pork shoulder stew when I got home before we decided to just go get dinner.

Dinner - Brazilian steakhouse - assorted meats and compliant options from the salad bar.

Day 8: 10/21/14

Breakfast - Scrambled eggs, kale, and turkey with oil and coconut milk.

Lunch - Chipotle salad with double carnitas, mild and green salsa, guacamole.

Dinner - Some crudites at a meeting, then spaghetti squash bolognese with turkey

Day 9: 10/22/14

Breakfast - Sweet potato, kale, and turkey hash with avocado

Lunch - Can of tuna, one hard boiled egg, carrots, sugar snap peas, and some avocado

Dinner - Ribeye steak, baked potato with clarified butter, fresh green beans

Yesterday was the hardest day of the plan for me so far. My lunch did not taste good - none of my produce was very fresh and I was basically just eating leftovers to clear the fridge at work. I didn't have any of my homemade mayo left so I had to eat the tuna dry. Plus I was exhausted from sleep deprivation adding up this week, and I had a particularly hard workout at CrossFit that morning. It's really hard for me to figure out how to fit in a pre and post workout snack when my class is at 6am. I roll out of bed and go to class, and by the time I get home I only have time to eat some breakfast before I leave. Next week I'll try eating my snack when I get home from class and then taking breakfast with me to eat when I get to work. I'm worried that as my On Ramp class winds down the workouts will get harder and we'll spend less time on instruction, so I'm really going to need those calories. I want to make sure I'm eating enough.

I knew I shouldn't let so much time go by between updates. My memory is a little foggy now on my meals, but I think I remember most.

Day 10: 10/23/14

Breakfast - Scrambled eggs, turkey, kale

Lunch - Two compliant hot dogs, steamed broccoli, grape tomatoes and green olives

Dinner - Turkey burger, broccoli, cashews

Day 11: 10/24/14

Post-workout - banana

Breakfast - Scrambled eggs, turkey, kale

Lunch - Two compliant hot dogs, steamed broccoli, grape tomatoes and green olives

Dinner - Chipotle salad with carnitas, mild salsa, and guacamole

Day 12: 10/25/14

Breakfast - Crispy eggs and ???

Lunch - Red Robin monster royal burger with steamed broccoli and sweet potato fries

Dinner - Chocolate Chili

Day 13: 10/26/14

Breakfast - Scrambled eggs and leftover chili

Lunch - Burger and brat, plain salad, extra veggie toppings (at a cook-out)

Dinner - Pork chops with kale and onions cooked in mushroom broth and steamed baby carrots

Day 14: 10/27/14

Breakfast - Scrambled eggs with kale, onion, chili, avocado

Lunch - Pork chop, zucchini, tomato

Dinner - Salmon and ??

Day 15: 10/28/14

Breakfast - Scrambled eggs with kale and onion

Lunch - Cobb salad no cheese with oil & vinegar

Dinner - Skirt steak, bell peppers, onions, guacamole, lettuce wraps

Day 16: 10/29/14

Lunch - Leftover fajitas

Dinner - Balsamic glazed pork chops and ??

Day 17: 10/30/14

Lunch - Leftover pork chop, zucchini, tomato

Dinner - Lemon garlic roasted chicken breasts and sage acorn squash

Day 18: 10/31/14

Lunch - Leftover chicken, chili, tomato and olives

Dinner - 

Archived