day 15 and so EMOTIONAL

sarawh

This is my day 15 and for the past week or so I have been so emotional. I cry at a drop of a hat and I am post menopausal. Has anyone else experienced this? 

I get at least 8 hours of sleep, I'm following plan to the t and exercise at a moderate rate due to physical limits. I just don't get it.

• Moderators

I don't really have any solutions for you, but I remember that during my first Whole30 I went through the same thing. It was about midway through -- looking back at my blog from that time, it seems to have been days 15-18. I was weepy and irritable and emotional. I'm also post menopausal, so I knew it wasn't PMS or anything. And I also ate starchy veggies every day.

I still don't really know for sure what caused it, although I have a theory (with no particular basis in anything scientific, so take it with a grain of salt -- or maybe a whole salt shaker, I don't know.)  I think that a big part of it for me was that I am an emotional eater, and during a Whole30, I couldn't eat the things I normally would if I was dealing with emotional stuff, and because I was really trying to stick to three meals a day, no snacks, I couldn't even have compliant food at a time when I was just emotional. I think with no way to eat until I no longer felt those emotions, they were free to come up and there was nothing I could really do but notice them and let them run their course. 

Anyway, I'm not saying that's necessarily what's going on with you, just a thought about how it felt to me. But, whether my theory about why it's happening or not is right, you should notice improvement in a few days. If it doesn't improve in a few days, then you may need to look for other causes -- this post might be a place to start, or a chat with your doctor. 

Thank You Shannon for your experience. I've been thinking this through and it dawned on me that maybe I had some suppressed feelings coming up. Maybe it is about not being able to go to those traditional comfort foods. We have experienced a great deal of tragedy in the past few years most recently a very bad car accident in January. I am now having memories of the accident that i did not have right after the accident.

I agree with Shannon. As you release toxins and physical stuff you're holding onto, you will also release a lot of emotional stuff. 

This is a good time to seek out a good counselor or life coach who can help you process through it, if you don't already have one. 

Be very kind to yourself at this time, this is a very healthy and healing process to go through. 

days 10 - 15 were really bad for me emotionally. All of my cravings were in full swing and all i wanted to do was eat cake and cry.  It took a few days, but my emotions have calmed down quite a bit. hopefully for you they will as well

By day 18 the emotional roller coaster fell off the tracks. I got this burst of energy that I haven't ever felt before. Yesterday I felt like someone gave me a shot of caffeine. I haven't had caffeine in 3 years so it was a little unsettling but boy did I get some things done around the house. If today is anything like yesterday watch out. 

I am on day 20 right now of my very first Whole30 and on day 12-15 I cried about EVERYTHING.  I thought something crazy was going on.  I cried in the car when I was proud of myself for not drinking the night before, I cried randomly at home, and other kinds of stuff.  I have just decided that it is part of the detox and as women we are already so emotional that it just takes its toll.  I am so glad to read your story and know I am not the only one!! :)

Archived