Whole 30 and sleep/stress

joybedford

Hi I will be starting my 3rd whole 30 in November. I have a high stress life for many reasons, 3 kids with special needs and a stressful job(midwife). I work shifts and often go 24 hours with no sleep, for example if I am on nights I will get the kids up for school at 6.30 and then stay awake till after the school run the following day. I eventually get to bed at about 10am. I know this is not healthy but I have tried having an afternoon sleep before nights and it doesn't happen I can't wind down enough. I then only get 5 hours sleep

Before I collect them from school. I have no family support around me and my husband is at work. On days off my sleep is as bad as my children have sleep disorders and are wake till very late. I know this is going against one of the whole 30 rules but I have no solution at present. I have fibromyalgia which is my whole reason for doing a whole 30, will I still see a benefit with the food alone. Joy

• Moderators

There's no harm in trying. Moving in the right direction is moving in the right direction. I hope you can find a way to change your schedule sooner rather than later, though. It sounds truly devastating. Increasing and improving my sleep has been one of the most radical and beneficial changes I've made through this program, but it's taken time. 

Good luck to you, and yes, by all means start with food. We all begin where and when we can with what we have. And for many of us, other things begin to shift and change from there. 

• Moderators

Your sleep/wake cycle and ability to sleep when tired is closely tied to what you are eating. By following the Whole30 approach consistently, you may improve your ability to sleep.

It took me a long time to figure out that I had trouble sleeping the night after I ate dairy. I don't know why dairy disturbs my sleep, but it does. I also discovered that I slept better after eating starchy veggies. Your responses may not be the same as mine, but a Whole30 can help you in lots of ways. 

Archived