On Day 11 and need emergency intervention!

EileenM

Hi, everyone.  This is my second Whole 30 and I definitely did not experience this last year when I did my first one…  I have had 3 nearly sleepless nights and wondering if anyone else has experienced this and what to do about it.  In the past, not getting enough sleep has driven me to consume sugar for energy.  I'm craving it like crazy and the lack of sleep is wearing down my resolve.  I'm feeling depressed, cranky, and deprived.  My husband doesn't even want to be in the same room with me!  

I know about sleep routine and preparing for sleep…I'm not doing anything differently in that department.  Nothing else has changed in my daily life.  I'm not lying awake worrying, planning, stressing…nothing like that.  My head hits the pillow and my eyes pop open and I lie there wondering why in the world I can't sleep.

I'm 62 years old and live with my husband and step-son.  Their idea of healthy eating is using Splenda instead of sugar (I kid you not)  The cupboards are filled with cookies, cakes, chips, artificially flavored waters and sodas…I can't open a cupboard or the refrigerator without seeing all this crap and this morning I may have to cut off an arm to keep from consuming an entire case (yes, they buy in bulk) of Oreos.

HELP!!!!!

Eileen

Thanks for your response.  I am now motivated to keep a notebook.   :)

When I did my first one last year, I was living alone.  I had complete control over everything that came into the house, and it was SO much easier!  Having my own cupboard sounds like a good idea.  That will be a project for the weekend.

I'm encouraged by the reminder that the sleep issue will end.  Man, I can't wait to get a good night's sleep.  zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Are you doing anything differently in your basic meal composition this time around? Anything different about your activity level? 

Be strong...none of the things in those cupboards are worth messing up your momentum and they won't make your sleep better. Have some extra sweet potato if you must and maybe take a nap.

Physibeth …My meal composition is pretty much the same.  My activity level, however, is higher.  Last year I was basically sedentary.  This year I am cycling 3 times a week.  Could more exercise affect my sleep?  I thought it would have the opposite effect

I find that I have trouble sleeping when I over deplete my glycogen stores by not eating enough carbs. Are you doing at least a post workout meal after your cycling? What time of day are you doing it? I am a group fitness instructor and teach a lot of night classes which has definitely effected my ability to get to sleep as early as I like because I'm kind of wound up when I get home (like now for instance  :rolleyes: )

Derek, I do eat lots of sweet potatoes and winter squash.  I have 4 types in my kitchen waiting to be prepared this very day!  I haven't been eating a lot of carbs at my evening meal…I will add more to see if it helps.

I have a neck injury that can give me some discomfort at night, especially after exercise or a very active day (on the floor playing with grandkids, chasing toddlers around in the back yard, etc!)  but I don't like taking pain relievers (ibuprofen, naproxen) on a regular basis.  Any suggestions for pain relief at night?  

Physibeth…we sometimes cycle in the morning but usually go out mid afternoon, around 2-3.  We spend about 2-3 hours on the trail, get home around 6-7, and then eat a small meal.  I haven't been doing many carbs at that meal.  Not sure what a post workout meal consists of must I'm thinking it must be more carbs.  Right?

Not sure what a post workout meal consists of must I'm thinking it must be more carbs.  Right?

In general, starchy carbs & protein, ya.

Your insulin sensitivity is high, muscle glycogen needs replenishing, best time to "shuttle" nutrients, etc.

Archived