Salmon with "added color from feed"......

mrsleelee

Hi guys! I'm new here and on Day 2 of my journey!!

I couldn't find anything about this topic, but i just realized my farm-raised atlantic salmon fillets from Wegmans have "color added to salmon feed" in the ingredients.  I was hoping to save a bit of money by going with the farm-raised as the wild-caught were quite pricey...

Is this salmon forbidden on the whole30?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Farm-raised, color-added salmon is acceptable during a Whole30. I hear the farm diet leads to fish that are less nutrient dense than wild-caught, but the farm-raised fish still beats a Big Mac and fries!

Thank you for this response! I was so worried when I went to the fish counter the other day and they told me Coho Salmon season was over and that all they would have for awhile was fair raised salmon. I checked Trader Joe's yesterday and they have a frozen wild caught salmon but it is a very large quantity that I could never consume as a single person. 

You can often find individually packaged frozen wild caught fish near the meat counter in your grocery store. Another option is to buy wild caught canned salmon for the winter and make salmon cakes and such. But as Tom said, farm-raised is still better than fast food.

Archived