Breastmilk?

C. Logan

No.

Because breastmilk is the thing that get small baby humans pretty quick to small toddler humans? And we are grown ups (most of the time anyway)?

Because cows don't drink the milk from the cow standing next to her? Neither do sheep or goats?

Because drinking your coffee black is  not  hard?

Because breastmilk is the thing that get small baby humans pretty quick to small toddler humans? And we are grown ups (most of the time anyway)?

Because cows don't drink the milk from the cow standing next to her? Neither do sheep or goats?

I'd go with #1

I'd go with #1

Breast milk is pretty amazing stuff. 

Human milk is amazing stuff for human babies, but it contains several components, such as casein and lactose, that many adults don't have the ability to properly digest. Human babies *can* usually digest those, but many adult humans, and most mammals, lose the ability to produce rennin and lactase to do the same. 

While I've seen many folks argue it's not dairy, please consider this definition of "dairy" from both Merriam-Webster and Oxford: "containing or made from milk." The USDA defines it as "all fluid milk products and many foods made from milk." Using those definitions, milk from humans, cows, goats, sheep, pigs, rabbits, tigers, orangutans, orcas, polar bears, or any other mammal would be considered "dairy," as would any cheese, ice cream, or other product made from said milk. 

Generally speaking, if you really want some human milk, it's probably best wait until after your Whole30 to be on the safe side, especially if there's a chance you are lactose intolerant, casein sensitive, or have issues with any other components of milk in general. 

There is a whole thing on Milk in the book but here is a snippet of why the book says No. 

These growth, hormonal, and immunity messages from
mother’s milk to newborn are biologically healthy and
appropriate, when you are a calf or an infant.
However, once weaned, calves and human infants no
longer grow at such an aggressive rate, and their
digestive systems and immune systems are complete.
This means the growth and immunological messages
from mother’s milk are no longer needed, nor
appropriate.
And when the biological messages intended for a
calf are being received loud and clear by your adult
human body, they are even less appropriate—and
potentially downright harmful.

• 6 months later...

My husband wont taste my breastmilk, so i'm pretty sure he won't have it in a coffee lol

I think I'd rather have it black as well.

I just think I go to that much effort feeding my girl, and expressing for when I am at work. I just want her to have all the nourishment she can have, that no one else deserves it.

Breast milk is pretty amazingly good for humans. I would like to hear the "why" behind the denial. 

Breast milk is fantastic for infants and toddlers, but I haven't seen any compelling evidence that it's beneficial for adult humans.

Ignoring the above, breast milk is still dairy and dairy is 100% out for Whole30 with the exception of ghee.

• 8 months later...
  • Moderators

What page does it say that on -- I looked when this question came up before and couldn't find it. (I'm just trying to get some context here, about what exactly they said in the book, if there were other arguments offered or sources cited or what.)

I have the Kindle, so I'm not sure on the page #.. Its in the text under "you've got questions, we've got answers" in Part 2 section.

"Can I use milk in my coffee if it’s my own breast milk? (This is an actual thing that actually happened, and yes, you may, but your husband may not.)"

Since cows are ruminants, it makes sense that "grass fed" would be the better quality dairy.  But since humans are omnivores, I guess "Whole30 fed" would be the breast milk equivalent to grass-fed dairy?

Is there omnivore dairy available?  Seal milk or bear milk maybe?

• Moderators

I have the Kindle, so I'm not sure on the page #.. Its in the text under "you've got questions, we've got answers" in Part 2 section.

"Can I use milk in my coffee if it’s my own breast milk? (This is an actual thing that actually happened, and yes, you may, but your husband may not.)"

Because it will have been produced by the woman's body, so her body will recognize it... I'm assuming...

• Moderators

Kirkor- Makes sense to me but is it compliant? Does it fall under the dairy rules as pointed out above or is it exempt because it comes from mom and doesn't contain the same components that require elimination?

It sounds like the quote from the book is saying it would be compliant for the woman who is producing it... it's not a foreign or inflammatory thing I guess...

I think even if I was producing breast milk, it doesn't really make sense for me to consume my own. The nutrients in it would be in your own body already... so not sure it would be giving you any benefit... I'm not a scientist or a doctor so I'm just making general assumptions here... are you planning on drinking your own breast milk?

It sounds like the quote from the book is saying it would be compliant for the woman who is producing it... it's not a foreign or inflammatory thing I guess...

I think even if I was producing breast milk, it doesn't really make sense for me to consume my own. The nutrients in it would be in your own body already... so not sure it would be giving you any benefit... I'm not a scientist or a doctor so I'm just making general assumptions here... are you planning on drinking your own breast milk?

That's a very good point. 

Not me personally. This topic pops up in the FB support groups every once in a while and there seems to be one side saying its okay because it's from their own body and then there's that blurb in the new book but it's a No here. 

I am on the side that it's for baby, mom doesn't need it for nutrition reasons. I just wanted clarification on why it would now be compliant.  :)

If you're lactose intolerant, your body doesn't really care if you are consuming milk with lactose that came from a cow or a human, even if you are that human that produced the milk. It's all lactose, and you are lactose intolerant because you don't produce sufficient lactase to digest it. There's actually more lactose in human milk than there is in cow milk, and that means more of it can end up in your large intestine, to cause bloating, gas, diarrhea, and all kinds of other not-so-fun stuff. So, regardless of what the book says, it might be best to stay away from human milk for 30 days, even your own, especially if you already know you are lactose intolerant. 

Archived