Day 11 - Feeling Discouraged

Noellienoelle

I know the whole30 is different for everyone, but I was really, really hoping to feel better by now. I still have extremely low energy, which then makes all this meal prep hard for me to do. Tonight I'm hungry but don't have a taste for anything good. I just want some bread. Groceries are getting low and I don't have energy to go shopping - frankly, shopping stresses me out. I'm faced with eating more eggs for breakfast tomorrow, but since I'm sick of them I'm worried I will end up skipping breakfast altogether...ideas? Encouraging words? HELP?! :-)

Buy all the sweet potatoes. Or white potatoes. Or white sweet potatoes. I find I like the white sweets better anyways. You need those for energy, and they'll give you the carbs you need without the super! sugar! spike! usually associated with eating fruits.

Make some easy meals all in one day (this weekend?) so you don't have to stress about it this week. And keep them SIMPLE.

- Do you have a slow cooker? Do a pot roast with a bunch of veggies and white potatoes (I prefer mashing the white potatoes and putting more veggies in with the roast).

- Make some taco beef in bulk (it doesn't take much longer to do 2-3 lbs of beef than it does 1, and you don't dirty any more dishes) and fridge it (to serve, bake a sweet potato and top with the beef, avocado or mayo, and salsa with a little pineapple and cucumber/tomato on the side).

- And maybe buy some individually vacuum-sealed white fish, and have that for a quick-cook meal one night this week (thaw in warm water in the sink and cook in ghee with garlic, then sprinkle with lime juice and coarse salt).

- For your veggies, do a big tray of roasted ones or, if you have a food processor, do a cauliflower rice and/or stir fry. One head of cauliflower shredded with one head of broccoli shredded with a few carrots shredded with some seasonings (fish sauce, coconut aminos if you have them or plenty of salt and maybe some beef stock, black pepper, red pepper, garlic, and ginger come to mind for an Asian-style one).

- Roasted broccoli is delicious with salt, pepper, and garlic powder and cooking fat. Takes maybe 10 minutes to prep and 15 to cook.

- Saute 2 zucchini with 2 onions with garlic, salt, and pepper until it's all cooked through. Then crank up the heat and let the sugars on the bottom layer carmelize, then re-mix it all together. DELICIOUS.

- I hate eggs every day, so I eat sausages two mornings a week. Otherwise, I start gagging at the texture of MORE EGGS. Hubby isn't happy with the sausages, but he is happy I can eat.

If you're really burning out, there are probably some easy compliant veggies in the freezer section. I've seen for sure California mix (carrot/broccoli/cauliflower) that isn't life changing but is fine for food. I've also seen stir fry mixes that were compilant - just pepper slices, onion slices, and snap/snow pea slices. And those with a George Foreman-ed burger with some homemade mayo is still template compliant.

Great advice from MrsStick! 

On how you are feeling in general I have a couple of questions. First can you post a few days of what you have been eating so we can see if there are tweeks you can make that will make you feel better? Second, where are you in your cycle? I feel utterly exhausted the week before my period and I usually need to drastically increase my carbs that week. Third, what has your sleep, activity, and stress been like?

Hang in there...days 10 and 11 are the hardest days for most people.

I know the whole30 is different for everyone, but I was really, really hoping to feel better by now. I still have extremely low energy, which then makes all this meal prep hard for me to do. Tonight I'm hungry but don't have a taste for anything good. I just want some bread. Groceries are getting low and I don't have energy to go shopping - frankly, shopping stresses me out. I'm faced with eating more eggs for breakfast tomorrow, but since I'm sick of them I'm worried I will end up skipping breakfast altogether...ideas? Encouraging words? HELP?! :-)

I love to go grocery shopping.   I'm a label reader and I do enjoy the micro minutia.  You're going to need to make a list and think of the store as an adventure.  Don't tell yourself it stresses you out.  Flip it.   Flip that switch. You're only a few days in and getting low on groceries is a recipe for grabbing whatever is handy.  

Peruse the perimeters of the store....head for the produce, celebrate the colors and your life.

Archived