Coconut Milk- No Carrageenan or Sulfites

shannon4783

I was told that so delicious unsweetened coconut milk was not allowed because it had carrageenan but it doesn't and I LOVE it!  So I want to make sure that it is not allowed before I take it out of my diet.  Here are the ingredients:

Organic coconut milk, calcium phosphate, magnesium phosphate, guar gum, vitamin a acetate, vitamin d2, L-selenomethionine (selenium), zinc oxide, folic acid, vitamin b12.

Thanks!

I was told that so delicious unsweetened coconut milk was not allowed because it had carrageenan but it doesn't and I LOVE it!  So I want to make sure that it is not allowed before I take it out of my diet.  Here are the ingredients:

Organic coconut milk, calcium phosphate, magnesium phosphate, guar gum, vitamin a acetate, vitamin d2, L-selenomethionine (selenium), zinc oxide, folic acid, vitamin b12.

Thanks!

Those ingredients look fine to me, but you can get canned ones that are just coconut milk which is definitely cleaner.

• Moderators

The Whole30 forum avoids discussing specific brands because vendors change ingredients from time to time and because there are occasionally regional differences so that a product is compliant in one region and not in another. We are all responsible for checking the ingredients of products we buy to verify what we are getting. 

The ingredients you list for this product are okay. I don't understand why a vendor would add a bunch of vitamins to coconut milk. It looks like a marketing ploy to me. 

Thanks for the quick reply!  I will try to make my own, cleaner version with the can at wholefoods but glad to know this is ok for convenience sake.  I did not realize I was breaking any rules I am so sorry!  I have read plenty of other posts and brands were being thrown all over the place with no mention of this rule.  I will be sure to read the rules.  Thanks again!

Thanks for the quick reply!  I will try to make my own, cleaner version with the can at wholefoods but glad to know this is ok for convenience sake.  I did not realize I was breaking any rules I am so sorry!  I have read plenty of other posts and brands were being thrown all over the place with no mention of this rule.  I will be sure to read the rules.  Thanks again!

You are not breaking any rules, Tom is just pointing out that those of us with more official weight on our posts (moderators and the like) try to avoid recommending brands because it has come back to bite us in the butt. I still look at every label when I purchase something even if I've purchased it for years and I will still sometimes look at labels of things I've not been able to buy in the past in hopes they have come to their senses and reformulated.  :rolleyes:

On the bolded part: canned coconut milk does not require any further "making." You just drink it or use it in cooking.  Enjoy!

Archived