Nothing appeals to me

I finished my first Whole 30 about three weeks ago.  I have continued to eat clean ever since, choosing to eat some off-plan foods a few times.  I've learned that I can eat whole milk greek yogurt in the morning without any ill effect, and alcohol in moderation.  Sugar and gluten just make me hungry the next day and have a harder time staying on track.  I have not reintro'd legumes yet.

Anyhow, right now I am very hungry, and nothing on- or off-plan appeals to me, except for hot buttered toast.  I am sick to death of sweet potatoes and squash and coconut oil and eggs and meat and veg.  I love to cook and have had great variety in my food, but I'm just fed up and want something comforting, I guess.

Anyone else experience this?  Suggestions of what might get me through?

What about gluten free grains? How did those affect you? A gluten free piece of toast could do the trick...or not. Depends on your tastes.

Otherwise, you can try making a hashbrown patty or SP hashbrown patty, or not give in to your brain's attempts to get you to eat easy food again. This is exactly what my brain does when I reintro stuff...and just thinking about it right now has me feeling the texture of the crispy + buttery + liquid butter...yeah, I'm glad I have no bread in the house right now.

MrsStick:

These are all really good thoughts.  I have not reintroduced gluten-free grains yet, so maybe this weekend I will try making some buckwheat bread or quinoa or something like that, just for the variety I think I'm after.  Hash-browns would absolutely do the trick.  Unfortunately (or fortunately), I'm at work where there are very limited food options, so I'll almost certainly be sticking with the veg/meat I brought from home.  While I'm ok in theory with off-roading, the junk I could get in the cafeteria here is definitely NOT worth it.  Gives me something to look forward to this weekend!

Thank you!

For an easy compliant hashbrown, bake a potato and shred in a food processor while still warm. I make 'patties' by squeezing the potato between two measuring cups (I have a set that are wide but not so deep and it has a 3/4 cup that fits really well in the 1 cup to make 1/2-3/4" tall patties). Before frying, pop them in the freezer for a while. The colder they are, the longer they hold up in hot cooking fat (down to and including completely frozen). Then, don't flip them while cooking until they're golden and crispy on that side (and use a pancake flipper-style implement to flip to hold them together). Salt as soon as they come out of the cooking fat.

I make these at least once a week for hubby and I...I've gotten close to perfection. I almost prefer them completely frozen, so I'll probably freeze a bunch ahead this weekend for future use. I get around 4 per "baking size" potato (between 1/3 cup and 1/2 cup of potato per pattty).

Anyhow, right now I am very hungry, and nothing on- or off-plan appeals to me, except for hot buttered toast.  I am sick to death of sweet potatoes and squash and coconut oil and eggs and meat and veg.  I love to cook and have had great variety in my food, but I'm just fed up and want something comforting, I guess.

Anyone else experience this?  Suggestions of what might get me through?

Yes. Many of us in my W30 group experienced this. I call it food fatigue. It is a phase and you will get past it I promise! 

This is recipe for a flatbread I have made a couple of times. Its not bread, nor is it to be had when on a W30 but its made from compliant ingredients, and as a "pizza" base (dairy free of course), or to smear some delicious chicken liver pate on, its pretty outstanding. I've made it twice in 5 months. It didn't ignite my sugar dragon or send me running to the store for baguettes or any such thing, it was simply a nice change of pace. 

http://thedomesticman.com/2014/03/13/grain-free-flatbread-paleo-vegan-and-aip-friendly/

Archived