Pending Intense Hike Day - go off W30 for a day?

fourfooteleven

Hi all, 

I'm a member of my local mountain rescue team and we have a mission on Sunday. I'll be on Day 18 at that point and have been very strict to keeping to Whole30. I've been feeling pretty good but I'm concerned about my energy.

During a very easy four mile flat hike on Day 4, I was very light headed just before lunch (two miles in) and still felt so-so on the hike out, even after downing an apple, chicken, veggies and "sunshine sauce".

On day 13 (this week), I finally hit up my weekly Boot Camp class and I felt pretty good after. 

However, I've not been doing my regular regiment of two boot camps a week and running 2-3x a week (3-6 miles a run).

I'm also not eating as much as I was during week 1 when I felt I was starving all the time, whereas now I'm back to my usual three square meals a day with some nuts and an apple thrown in on occasion. 

As for Sunday, these types of outings can be intense and long long loooong days... there's not time to sit down and make a meal... and I don't have time to mail-order food. And I HATE EPIC BARS. Just putting that out there.

Suggestions? Concerns? I'll have some time on Saturday possibly to make some food.... But part of me just want to throw in the towel for the day so I don't have to worry about it and load up on my usual KIND bars and Clif gels and glorious glorious burritos of chicken, avocado and veggies and cheese ....

But then.... I'll have to start over. 

Tiffany

• Moderators

I bet you'll be fat adapted by Day 18.

Bring canned sardines or pouches of compliant tuna, RxBars, LARAbars, Chapul bars.

Baby food pouches are another good option for hiking food. They can be found in many stores, very portable, just read your labels.

Baby carrots, snap peas, celery, dried fruit, coconut ribbons and olives can all be packed in baggies. You can fit a couple of bananas on the outside of your pack where they won't get squished.

In the meantime, try not to eat any fruit/carbs before you work out/hike. Eat protein and fat if you need food pre-hike, eat protein + carbs after for replenishing your body.

Good luck! You can do this!

It's just for one day, but it's going to be one long day. I'll be up at 5 a.m., hiking (more like bushwhacking up and down steep hills) by 9 and probably won't get back to the car until 6:30 or 7 p.m.

I can take the "old" food with me just in case I really get in a crash mode. Bottomline: I cannot be a casualty as a rescuer. And the idea go taking peas, carrots and celery as snacks on a  mission... ugh. That makes me lightheaded thinking about it. I need calories.

Lara bars, i'll have to check out. And test my mettle with those tuna packets (I'm not a fan of tuna unless it's sushi.) I've been so bummed all the jerky i find has sugar in it. i've been surprisingly craving that the past few weeks. I could probably make some good nut butters to take too. 

> I can take the "old" food with me just in case I really get in a crash mode. Bottomline: I cannot be a casualty as a rescuer. ... I need calories.

If you take non-compliant food on a trip like this, I can pretty much guarantee you will cave and eat it.  

But I do agree you need calories. It's a question of what your priorities are, yes?

You can take plenty of compliant calories with you if you'd like to.

It's only 1 day and it's October in the PNW so you don't need to worry about refrigeration. You can take hardboiled eggs. You can bake sweet potatoes the night before and take them.  You can take a ziploc baggie of nuts and coconut flakes.  You can take dried fruit. You can take packets of almond butter (http://justins.com/item/classic-almond-butter-1-15oz-pack/) If you don't like tuna you can take sardines.  If you don't want seafood you can take Aidell's sausage and eat it cold. You can take salt and salt substitute (KCl) for electrolytes in your water. You can take caffeine and ibuprofen for chemical boosts.

For something like this, I would go high-calorie (i.e. lightweight). Find a recipe for snack bars and make some (mashed up cashews and dates, not too hard). Pack some nut butters, hard boiled eggs, sweet potato, coconut flakes. Your "glorious glorious burritos of chicken, avocado and veggies and cheese" is almost compliant. Remove the cheese, extra avocado and mayo, wrap it in a lettuce leaf or some nori and you're away.

• Moderators

It's just for one day, but it's going to be one long day. I'll be up at 5 a.m., hiking (more like bushwhacking up and down steep hills) by 9 and probably won't get back to the car until 6:30 or 7 p.m.

I can take the "old" food with me just in case I really get in a crash mode. Bottomline: I cannot be a casualty as a rescuer. And the idea go taking peas, carrots and celery as snacks on a mission... ugh. That makes me lightheaded thinking about it. I need calories.

Lara bars, i'll have to check out. And test my mettle with those tuna packets (I'm not a fan of tuna unless it's sushi.) I've been so bummed all the jerky i find has sugar in it. i've been surprisingly craving that the past few weeks. I could probably make some good nut butters to take too.

RXbars are far superior to LARABARS. RXbars have significant protein, LARABARS Are all dates, meaning all sugar. You'll crash fast without protein on an all day, strenuous day in the woods. I know a little about that. ;)

> I can take the "old" food with me just in case I really get in a crash mode. Bottomline: I cannot be a casualty as a rescuer. ... I need calories.

If you take non-compliant food on a trip like this, I can pretty much guarantee you will cave and eat it.  

But I do agree you need calories. It's a question of what your priorities are, yes?

You can take plenty of compliant calories with you if you'd like to.

It's only 1 day and it's October in the PNW so you don't need to worry about refrigeration. You can take hardboiled eggs. You can bake sweet potatoes the night before and take them.  You can take a ziploc baggie of nuts and coconut flakes.  You can take dried fruit. You can take packets of almond butter (http://justins.com/item/classic-almond-butter-1-15oz-pack/) If you don't like tuna you can take sardines.  If you don't want seafood you can take Aidell's sausage and eat it cold. You can take salt and salt substitute (KCl) for electrolytes in your water. You can take caffeine and ibuprofen for chemical boosts.

Those are great ideas and sound much better than snackety type foods.

I've done a few intense hikes while eating Whole 30. Definitely go calorie dense foods that aren't going to give you indigestion. Nut butter packets, and nuts, sweet potato baby food sachets are awesome. Hard boiled eggs are good too. Veggie sticks in heaps of high fat dip. Make up a huge compliant breakfast to eat in the car on the way to the hike then just snack throughout the day and then have a big compliant dinner as soon as you're done.

And you might want to check out some compliant electrolytesto add to your water too

I can't eat much whole 30 food while hiking - it's not like normal sandwiches which digest really quickly, so I tend to have snacks and a small lunch.

Hi, 

These are all really great ideas. I spoke with some fellow rescuers and ranger friends today and they had similar suggestions. I just threw a baby shower today and have a ton of food left over of zuke "hummus" with tahini, a bag of compliant mixed nuts from trader joes that i can make into a butter, a sweet potato I can make up, may need to run to the store to get avocado and look for those Rx Bars, just made homemade mayo for a chicken salad and bake a ton of chicken. i forget about lettuce wraps, I know I've got some lettuce I can dig up... jars of olives...

Thanks all.... we'll see. It may not be as intense as I think but like i said before, (unfortunately) i haven't ramped back up my cardio/endurance workouts lately ...

T

• Whole30 Certified Coach

When I did a 9 mile Spartan race 2 months ago I was pretty worried about bonking and cramping.  I carried dates that I ground A LOT of sea salt over in a baggie.  They didn't taste great (not too bad though - when I'm working hard really salty foods taste good to me).  I became a winter 46er (all 46 High Peaks in the Adirondacks between Dec and March) before going paleo.  My wonder food... pretzels :)  These salted dates seem to take their place well :)  

If I weren't trying to minimize pack size (like for bushwacking - so this may be irrelevant) I think I'd bring with me:

- a few cooked sausage patties, dates covered in salt, a bag of Trader Joe's snap peas, a bunch of peeled clementines, coconut butter that I warmed and recooled into a flatter shape to make "bark", raisins, dried apples.  I'd probably eat something high in protein and fat before starting in the morning - like a burger with guacamole or something.  

I should bookmark this page for myself when my snowshoeing picks up again this winter and I'm wondering what to bring ;)

Well after all my efforts to bring along compliant food, after two miles in, I slipped on wet rocks ands tore my ACL.

My wonderful boyfriend took care of me with a wonderful paleo meal of my favorite things: steak, yam ands zukes ands squash ands Portobello mushroom. He forgot for a second about the whole 30 thing ands marinated the steak in jack Daniels but you know what? I didn't really care ands ate the entire damn thing gleefully ands joyfully ands constantly thanked him for taking care of me.

Being kind overruled being compliant.

Thanks all. Unfortunately (or fortunately?) I had this done on the other knee 17 years ago so I know what to expect. I should probably also admit, without any shame, given the day I had, I let myself relax and gave into a soul-feeding hearty IPA and burger and yam fries and a chocolate cupcake. I really didn't care. I needed some comfort food. So.... I'd like to complete a Whole30 some day but given my soon-limited-mobility post-op, I can't exactly be picky when people bring over food to help me out. Maybe in January I"ll start it since, well, I won't exactly be doing any skiing or snowshoeing but will be mobile and will be able to stand and cook. 

But, given the success I've had the past 2.5 weeks (feeling good, but terrible skin and only lost a few pounds), I'd do this again. 

TR

> let myself relax

> gave into a soul-feeding

> really didn't care

> needed some comfort food

As you're in recovery, this could be a good opportunity to ponder these associations you make with certain types of food.

Ya, it's a topic I've long had bouncing around in my head, and haven't really come to a definitive conclusion about.

I've know we've got evolutionary drivers towards seeking high fat/high salt/high sugar, but it seems like in this modern age we should be able to use our knowledge to piggyback some science on top of those pesky lizard brain impulses.

Maybe it's a losing proposition --- just like the paleo-fying of desserts is supposed to do weird things to our psychology (i.e. our brains "know" the gluten-free date-sweetened torus-shaped baked good is not REALLY a doughnut...) maybe trying to make comfort food out of hard-boiled eggs and carrots is just not feasible.

ha. I think paleo-fying desserts is just wrong. It's like, seriously, if you want a chocolate cupcake, have a chocolate cupcake. you're not going to die. But have a GOOD ONE. Not a Hostess Ding Dong or Ho Ho or Twinkie. Get yourself a really good lovingly homemade cupcake.

binging on it is one thing; one once in a while is another. 

There is a whole other discussion about relying on food to as a matter of distraction, feeding stress, boredom, dealing with psychological problems. It would be an interesting experiment to explore how health foods could replace the terrible foods and trigger the brain as "comforting". There are a few W30 recipes I've made the past few weeks that I would definitely put in the "comfort food" zone. Maybe part of it too comes down to labels ... bad food vs good food vs real food vs. fake food... labels always screw with people's heads. 

I'm sure if i'd come home last night and tucked into my spaghetti squash and meat sauce i've been eating all week, but had friends with me, I would have been fine. I think the point for me was to go out with friends and indulge a little (OK, i maybe did more than a little) since I'd been VERY GOOD the past 2.5 weeks AND had just busted my knee and was kind of at my wit's end. Deep down, my head kept telling me, come on, you know better, you don't NEED to have a beer... you'd be perfectly good with what you have at home. (See, this totally plays into your ideas).

I actually discuss the past week on the latest blog post: everyfrog.wordpress.com.

TR

Archived