Wine...I need to say this out loud

megmac

Well, it's official. Wine is my slippery slope. Last weekend I reintroduced it and survived the trigger by going to bed. Last night I did not survive. Neither did the popcorn, pretzels, or ice cream sandwich. The safe number of glasses for me is 1, and I rarely only have 1. So...wine is out for me.

That may not be a big deal to most people, but I have had a love affair with dry red wine for years. It's time for this relationship to end. It's clear to me that I am not going to meet my goals for health and fitness if I continue to drink wine. It's time to stop expecting different results from the same behavior.

Of course I can't let the open bottle go to waste...:)

It sounds like you already know what it best for you - I have the same problem, with wine and with chocolate. (I'd also hate to waste any of it.) Maybe you just need to stay away from it for a long time, and limit yourself to just one glass but only on special special occasions (and when there are friends around who will finish the bottle for you? Haha.)

I think I am right there with you. I only had two glasses last night and have a terrible headache this morning. Other than alcohol, I have no problems being compliant and I've been done with my Whole30 for 2.5 weeks. I really got used to having a cup or two of tea at night and I think I'll go back to that little ritual.

Only on Day 3 but I know this will be a toughie for me. My husband and I talked about wine for about 15 minutes last night. There was none in the house-I would have skipped it anyway-but it would have been hard. I never buy it-so I made him promise not to bring any home. He's going the whole30 route with me,so he knows better. Chocolate is another biggie for me-but I really am pretty all-or-nothing about most things, so I don't even have it around. I'll love the day I can think of these 2 things and not be so affected by them. Hopefully...:)

(I know 1 glass would be my limit as well-but that darn open bottle)

I feel your pain. I had wine every night for a long time. It was a habit to have a glass or two (every now and then 3 or 4) and I loved it. But honestly after switching for just one week (over a year ago) to herbal tea or some Pelligrino with a slice of lime or two, I broke the habit and didn't miss it so much.

My long-term plan post Whole30 is to allow myself TWO adult beverages a week. That way I can enjoy some occasionally without guilt, but never slip back in to the every day habit again. I much prefer red wine, so as for leftover wine, freezing for future use in some marinara would be nice. The alcohol cooks out and the sugar in it is at least a natural source from the grapes. :)

I am only on day 9 and I'm already dreading the idea that wine might not be good for me. I love wine so very much. But I am really loving this healthy lifestyle as well and so hard decisions might need to be made. I've pondered this daily, actually.

Megmac, congrats on making the best decision for your health, you are absolutely right about same behavior different results. Remind me of this if I fall into the same boat in a few days.

The funny thing is that if you told me I had to give up wine BEFORE my Whole30, I would have said no way. Although it is a bummer, I can now face that reality and commit to it without feeling like I'm losing my best friend. Honestly, I feel so much better without it, it's a no-brainer.

Last night I had a vodka with club soda and a splash of cranberry. It was more of a test than a celebration. I felt absolutely fine-didn't eat another thing before bed and slept well.

It's ironic. I figured the only thing I really wanted to add back was wine, and as it turns out it's what I can't add back!

Thanks for the support on this one. It's a game changer.

I think it depends on what you experience when you reintroduce it. For me, the feeling of slipping back in to old habits was far more painful than giving up wine. If I reintroduced it without doing that, I would feel completely different. Even at the end of my W30 I didn't feel that way. It took several attempts at reintroduction for me to come to the realization that it's not worth it.

And speaking of not worth it, I think crappy carbs make me act like a crappy person. Seriously moody.

So far honey and tamari haven't bothered me. Those are my successful reintroductions. LOL!

Yes...missing my wine is the hardest thing for me! And I'm getting married soon so you can imagine all the drinking opportunties I'm being bombarded with (think: bachlorette party!). It's difficult but I know that 1 glass of wine will equal a 1-2 pound gain on the scale in the AM.

I'm on day 8 and i know how you feel. I've been having dreams about a giant bottle of pinot nior holding my hand while we fly through outer-space. So breaking that routine has def been hard. I just keep saying to myself, "think of how good that glass will taste on day 31"

Archived