The journey begins... (20/10/14)

EleanorB

Day one in the bag and it wasn't what I was expecting.  Admittedly, I did go on a week long pre-W30 binge after I fell off the wagon the last round on day 10.  However, I generally eat healthily and so I was not expecting the headache that started mid afternoon and progressively worsened through the evening! I drank lots of water and thankfully it abated after supper. 

As this is day one, I'll quickly cover the basics:

Weight - 141lb

Goals: Curb the sugar dragon, lose weight, sleep and feel better, improve athletic performance, make it to Day 30!!

Day three done. Sorry I missed logging yesterday but life got in the way. Rest assured, all is well. Headache was back again yesterday after lunch but wasn't as sever. I also lacked energy cycling home which wasn't helped by a ferocious headwind. Thankfully I had a pre-baked sweet potato in the fridge to devour before dinner.

Today was ok. I was at home - upside was the amazing lunch I cooked myself. Downside - I snacked a lot more: a banana, apple and a handful of nuts (not all at once!). I blame the weekly food shop... I was doing the online weekly food shop and figuring out our meals for the week - who wouldn't snack when your whole brain is immersed in thoughts of food?!

Anyway, another day down. No headache today! I was, however, very tempted to get on the scale this morning. I wonder if not weighing myself is going to be the biggest challenge? I suspect not - especially as next weekend is being spent making Christmas pudding, cake and mincemeat! No licking the spoon allowed!

Day 4 (late logging again - was up until midnight making my sons Halloween costume for his party at nursery today): so so so hungry! All day. It all started at M1 (mackerel salad) which I knew wasn't enough when I was eating it (not enough protein or fat) so was then counting down to M2 (salad and salmon fish cakes). Still not enough and still playing catch up. I was limited as a) it was shopping day so there was very little left in the fridge, and B) I was in the office so only had the food I brought with me.

I needed to pop out at lunch (to buy costume supplies) so went to the supermarket and bought some stuff for the office: nuts, olives, apples, and some tinned fish. I ate the nuts (food without breaks for me so am trying to limit them) and a handful of olives. I ate an apple before cycling home. On the way home all I could think was how hungry I was! When I got in I ate half an avocado, some more mackerel and some cherry tomatoes. Sorted me right out! I know understand the truth behind eating a mini-meal for a snack. M3 was roast chicken breast with veg. I made some tahini dressing to add some fat and it was yummy! I couldn't finish it so leftovers for lunch today... Saying that though, I was hungry again an hour later so I ate a pear with some nut butter.

All this just because I didn't get breakfast right! Am going to make an effort to include more fat in my meals!

Day 5, M1: I wasn't that hungry and as I haven't done a WO today I decided to just have a veg omelette (3 eggs, half courgette, pepper and spinach with some sunshine spice). Wrong again. An hour later I found myself needing more. I ate some tuna and some nutty granola with coconut yoghurt and feel much better. I should have had the tuna in the omelette... Although struggling with what fat I could have added? Avocado? Maybe a sprinkling of some pumpkin seeds? Going to make some dressings and sauces in my cook-up this weekend so that will hopefully help add fat.

Plans off the rest of the day: M2 - chicken breast with tahini and salad or veg. M3 - fish pie with veg.

I'm super tired today as I was up so late last night so will need to see if I can fit in a nap before the sugar dragon raises his head.

So, let's just assume that I am going to be late logging! I am still on track though and seem to be doing well.  DH is also sticking with it ("to support me") but I really hopes he starts feeling some benefits soon and does it for himself too). 

I will try and catch up with the last few days with as much as I can remember.  It might be easiest to work backwards...

Today (day 9) and I am feeling great which is a step up from Sunday night/yesterday morning when I was feeling a bit bloated.  I am a little tired though (had 8h sleep last night).  I am wearing a dress to work which is feeling a lot more floaty than it did when I last wore it (2 weeks ago) which is nice.  M1: Chicken Livers with salad (lettuce, cucumber, fennel, raddish, whole avocado, romaine pepper). I cycled to work this morning so didn't have my meal until 0830, 2h after getting up, which I know isn't ideal.  I was then needing something more (not quite hungry) at around 1030, nearly grabbed an apple, but instead had some mackerel and olives that I bought the other day for my desk.  M2: More mackerel! I forgot it was on the lunch menu, 2 boiled eggs, zucchini noodles with broccoli, mushrooms, asparagus and pesto. Am nicely full now, which is good as I still have to cycle home again.  M3 will be lamb tagine with roasted pumpkin and something green, but I don't know what yet. 

Day 8: As mentioned, I still felt bloated/full from the previous night.  Not sure if it was something I ate or generally eating too much.  Felt fine again by the end of the day.  M1: Leftover chicken soup.  It wasn't enough though, and so I ended up having half a scotch egg too.  M2: 1.5 scotch eggs with salad and some almost amba sauce. Yummy! I needed a distraction in the afternoon as was bored and therefore craving, so I made some home-made mayonnaise.  I then ended up having a snack of chicken livers and mayonnaise to combat the craving - was full after that! M3: Oven baked sea bass with peppers, olives, onions and sunflower seeds, served with leeks and kale.  DH discovered that the lemon tea he had been drinking had sweetener in it, so he had to join me in having Chai.  It was unintentional, and he'd only had 1 or 2 cups in 8 days, so I don't think a restart is needed. 

Day 7: Sunday cook-up day! I think next Sunday I need to combat my desire to taste as I go! Either that, or not then have meals as well! M1: Leftover fish pie with broccoli and asparagus. M2: Chicken soup.  Then the cook up, during which I made: lamb tagine, nutty granola (basically toasting coconut flakes and a selection of nuts in coconut oil and a bit of cinnamon), almost amba sauce, roasted some pumpkin and butternut squash, and scotch eggs.  The kitchen looked like a destruction zone when I'd finished.  DH was unimpressed when I asked him to wash up... but he was going through a Kill all the Things stage, brought on I think by going cycling and not eating enough.  Will talk to him about pre and post WO meals later.  M3: Roast pork with roasted parsnips, potatoes, broccoli, asparagus and gravy.  Delicious, but with all my picking/snacking during the day, I wasn't fully hungry for it which is a shame.  

Day 6: Close call on this day.  We had arranged to go and watch track cycling at the Olympic velodrome, and rather than trying our luck in finding compliant food there, I packed us some leftover fish pie with veg... only to forget it at home! Luckily, a M&S near the Olympic Park saved the day! M1: 3 egg omelette with pepper, mushroom and spinach, half an avocado.  I went cycling and had a banana mid ride. M2: Tuna steak with an onion, lemon, mustard and herb salsa which was utterly delicious and something I will definitely make again.  The tuna was poached in olive oil though, which I'm not sure is compliant? We had it with salad but I think zucchini noodles would be the way forward next time.  I think I snacked on some nut butter, straight from the jar, at some point today.  Naughty me.  M3: mixed green salad with some poached salmon and olives.  We also had some grapes and some nuts... it was a night out after all!

Day 5: I already covered it in post above, but just to add that the fish pie was delicious and that I managed not to have any sugar cravings despite not having a nap.  Phew!

Right, I'm up to date! Best go and do some work!

Exxx

BOOM! Day 10! So pleased to have made it to the end of today and still on track, especially as when I started at the beginning of October, it was on day 10 that I found out I couldn't bake a cake and not eat it.

This morning I felt good. Got up no problem despite going to bed later than usual on Tuesday. I also felt 'thin' and think I'm looking a little leaner in the mirror. I also think I got my meals more or less right today as for once I didn't want to snack between meals!

M1: baked sweet potato with tuna and mayo, salad. M2: I was a bit late making this and was really hungry so had a couple of handfuls of cashews whilst cooking which was naughty. When I made it, I had aubergine, lamb, boiled egg, tahini and alma sauce with a cucumber salad. It was yummy but I'm ashamed to say I ate ALL the lamb! The leftovers called to me. That's 500g! (1lb!). No wonder I didn't want to snack! M3: roast chicken with carrots, kale, broccoli and asparagus. We had a friend over for dinner and I don't the she even noticed that it wasn't a 'normal' meal.

Right, time to sleep.

Day 11: super tired today after a late night and really struggled to get up in the morning. Thankfully, I didn't get my usual sweet cravings when I'm tired.

M1: egg, mackerel salad. Felt like I needed a bit more so had a handful of olives. M2: tuna mayo, sweet potato and salad. Mid afternoon felt like I needed something so allowed myself to have an apple. I know it's not ideal but I love fruit and I've been doing so well not having any. M3: lamb steaks, roasted cauliflower, kale and courgette. Yum! Although weirdly I suddenly went off my lamb whilst eating it. There was something about the flavour I didn't like. I put a little sauce on it which made it much better.

A little constipated today and quite gassy. Probably the pound of lamb I ate yesterday! Will drink more tomorrow.

Day 12: I was working from home and found things harder again which is ironic as the last time I did this I was on maternity leave. Different routine I guess. Same trigger - boredom. I was also still tired from the late night but pleased to say that I didn't have any sugar cravings.

M1: 3 egg omelette with spinach, mushroom, pepper and salmon. Strangely, I had a bit of a tummy ache afterwards. Mid morning (1030) I had some nutty granola with some coconut yogurt - I was probably only a little hungry for it and was surprised as breakfast was huge! M2 was subsequently much later (around 3:00) as I got back into my work and wasn't hungry. I had leftover lamb steaks with salad, tahini and a sweet potato. I was super full and when I ate a pear afterwards, I almost couldn't finish it. Then things got really skewed as I was trying to get some work finished and so got back into it after putting my son to bed. I ended up skipping dinner. Bad idea. I thought is be ok but all that happened was that I lay in bed for an hour unable to sleep. I had a sore back from hunching over my laptop all day and I was hungry. I went downstairs, sorted my back out and had a quick meal of tinned mackerel mixed with avocado (at 11:15pm). Went straight to sleep after that!

Day 13: unsurprisingly, I woke up hungry after last nights missed make-shift meal. I also did something new and had a pint of water as soon as I woke up. I'm not sure if it was the water or that my body is starting to send the right signals but for the first time, I wasn't hungry between meals! I was completely satisfied and to be honest, wasn't really hungry when it was time to eat (except M1)

M1: 3 egg omelette with spinach. Mushroom, pepper and salmon. 1 avocado.

M2: 2 boiled eggs, baked aubergine, lamb mince and a salad with tahini and amba dressing.

M3: homemade fish curry with spinach and potatoes.

Day 14: Today had the potential to be hard as we had a big family lunch planned and we were going out for Guy Fawkes in the evening, but with a bit of forward planning, it turned out fine.  We invited everyone to our house for lunch so that we didn't have to navigate a pub menu and I only missed the mulled wine in the evening slightly.

M1: Sausages, eggs, bacon, mushroom, spinach and cauliflower.  I bought some compliant sausages at the butchers the previous day and so we decided to have a fry-up to celebrate.  M2: Full sunday roast with the family - roast beef, potatoes, parsnips, broccoli, and gravy.  I ate a lot of beef... and parsnips.  I was quite stuffed afterwards. For pudding, I made an apple and blackberry crumble for everyone... I spent ages toying with the idea of making something compliant that would fall into the SWYPO territory, just in case I was tempted.  In the end, I decided that I would be more likely to slip if I had something that was technically compliant, so I made a proper dessert for everyone, which they enjoyed and the great thing was that I wasn't even slightly tempted.  I did very nearly have some custard after stirring it, almost like an auto-pilot, but thankfully managed to stop the spoon just before it reached my lips! Hubby and I had a mixed berry salad which was delicious and meant that we were still having something whilst everyone else was having the crumble. 

M3 was quite late again as we got back late from the fireworks.  We had a prawn stir-fry with courgette, bean sprouts, sugar-snap peas, onion and some cashew nuts. I also ate a few too many cashew nuts whilst cooking! Felt quite bloated when I went to bed (a bit like last Sunday) so am wondering if it was the nuts. 

YIPPEE!!! Day 15! Here is a summary of how things are going...

Pretty tired today after a busy weekend, but otherwise on track.  Started having some vivid dreams (the other night, I dreamt my husband ate all the scotch eggs I'd made earlier that day... and last night it was so strange I can't put it together, but involved animals made out of chocolate, a bit like Easter eggs - I don't even like milk chocolate!).  I am starting to manage to go from meal to meal with little to no snacking, as I'm not hungry.  I am however slightly worried I am addicted to nuts and so am contemplating cutting them out altogether for the second half.  Clothes are feeling better but I am feeling a little bloated/fat today... probably due to nuts! Skin is clearer and I am falling asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow.  I survived Halloween, and wasn't remotely tempted by the bowl of sweets by the door for the trick or treaters, and last night went to the local Guy Fawkes fireworks display, and didn't mind passing up on mulled wine and toffee apples.  No boundless energy yet though...

I also did the weekly cook up on Saturday (Day 13) and managed to not snack the whole time.  It also took less time which was a bonus! On the menu this week: scotch eggs (they were so good last week), stuffed peppers, chicken and pumpkin stew, roast sweet potatoes and roasted cauliflower. Yum!

Another day done. Sugar cravings really do seem under control. I really don't fancy it, not even fruit, which is a massive thing for me. I am also snacking less and tonight things started feeling different when I was training. All good things. I am wondering whether I'm putting on weight though as after the initial weight loss/looser clothing, my tummy seems to be starting to pop out again.

M1: leftover fish curry with spinach, potato and salad. A bit spicy for breakfast!

M2: scotch eggs with salad.

Snack: beef and cauliflower patty, some leftover beef, sauerkraut. Probably picked at a few other things from the fridge too.

M3: sea bass with chilli, lime and ginger, brussels sprouts and broccoli.

Day 17: tummy seems to have gone down again. Over slept this morning so clearly need to go to bed early and catch up with some sleep.

M1: chicken livers, salad, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower and mayo. I didn't feel it was enough and was a bit hungry after but managed to hold off until lunchtime before eating anything. M2; stuffed pepper (from OMG Paleo) with salad. Had an apple in the middle of the afternoon. Was bad as was responding to a small craving but they're in my desk drawer and need eating. Only one left!

When I got home I had a slice of leftover roast beef with alma sauce. I had just cycled so decided it was a PWO snack. M3 soon followed: Turkey and pumpkin stew with sweet potato, courgette and leek.

2nd day of no nuts! Will try and keep this up until the end.

Another dream last night! This time I put milk on my breakfast and ate it all before I remembered I wasn't allowed dairy! I was so annoyed with myself as I'm nearly 2/3 through! Glad to wake up and realise it was a dream :)

Day 18 went ok. I was at home and a bit worried I would snack on nuts but managed to avoid them without too much difficulty. When I did want them (usually when hungry and cooking) I just nibbled on some leftover roast beef and classed it part of my meal/ PWO snack (I'd just been on the bike for an hour tempo session).

M1: chicken livers with courgette, asparagus, sugar snap peas and 2 eggs.

M2: 2 slices roast beef, courgette noodles and leek with pesto, stuffed pepper.

Snack: at my sons leftover beef stew as was a little peckish.

M3; beef and pumpkin stew with kale. I thought there was enough fat in the meal from the beef but was feeling wanting about an hour or so later. Still, it's easier to have less fat in M3 so I might try do it going forwards (by not adding extra).

Yep, day 19 is today, so yesterday was day 18. Clearly I've made a mistake somewhere. Never mind!

Day 18: main lesson today was that 3 boiled eggs in one day was too many. Sorry to be crude, but I had really smelly farts in the evening. :(

M1: mackerel, salad and 2 boiled eggs. M2: courgette and leek with pesto, salad, handful olives and tuna. Mid afternoon I was peckish so had a tin mackerel in olive oil. I didn't drain all the oil to have the fat too. However, my brain was really wanting the apple in my drawer so eventually I caved and gave it what it wanted. In my defence, the apple needed eating as it had been there a while and it was the last one. I considered the mackerel and apple as a pre-WO snack before cycling home. M3: half a pear, gammon steaks with broccoli and kale, alma sauce, handful of grapes.

Lots of fruit today but another day of no nuts.

Day 19: broke the no nuts vow today and interestingly, I didn't really enjoy them. Had some nutty granola with coconut yogurt and grapes and the nuts tasted a bit like sawdust.

M1: 3 egg omelette with mushrooms, spinach and pepper, pesto and mackerel. Mid morning had nutty granola with grapes and coconut yogurt. Wasn't hungry and knew I was eating from boredom. M2: courgette and leek with red pesto and tuna mayo. I was full for ages afterwards. In fact, I don't think I've been hungry since as I seem to have come down with some sort of tummy bug. M3: salmon with spaghetti squash and green beans. Had a but of a tummy ache when I went to bed. I ate a few grapes during the day but otherwise nothing new so not sure what would cause the tummy upset.

Day 20: still not feeling great. I had to force breakfast down more out of a need to eat than hunger as I was going cycling. M1: same as yesterday - 3 egg omelette with spinach, pepper, mushroom and pesto and mackerel. On the bike ride I still wasn't hungry but had a banana when everyone stopped for coffee as I didn't want to run out of energy on way home. I was finding the ride a bit of a struggle as it was. PWO had a tin of tuna. Still not hungry but ate it. M2: chicken pad Thai. I couldn't finish it so left it and finished it later. Went for a nap in the afternoon as was generally feeling run down and tummy still not right. M3: chicken curry with sweet potato and spinach. Had a small portion as still not hungry and tummy been hurting all afternoon. Also had some grapes and an apple during the day.

Going to bed early and hope I feel better tomorrow!

I'm also starting to get a bit sick of cooking and thinking up meals! I think I'm about to have a whole 'is it all worth it' episode.

Day 21: after a couple of trips to the loo, my tummy had felt much better today so obviously has managed to dispel whatever was bothering it. Still a couple of pangs but nothing like yesterday. Unfortunate my training session was rubbish and I ended up canning it as my legs were having none of it and I just coupled hit my power targets. Day off tomorrow so hoping for some improvement... Some tiger blood would be nice too!

Otherwise, day went well. It was cook-up Sunday so obviously I picked at things through the afternoon but haven't gone to bed feeling like I'm going to explode which is good. I also can't get over how clear my skin is looking every time I see my reflection in the mirror!

M1: bacon, poached eggs, mushroom, tomato, cucumber and avocado. I also had a boiled egg preWO and a banana afterwards as I was really hungry and didn't have any food to hand.

M2: sweet potato, tuna mayo, salad with ginger dressing.

Picked throughout cook-up at everything including some almonds, so not a nut free day.

M3: roast lamb with parsnips, potatoes, broccoli and gravy.

Day 22: after the big cook-up yesterday and some new things on the menu I'm feeling a little less over the whole thing. The end is starting to be in sight and as a little celebration I bought a couple of new paleo recipe books, ready for when I go off roading. No tummy issues today and if anything, I was able to go longer between meals.

M1: pork and aubergine strata (WF1) with broccoli and asparagus.

M2: beef and spinach muffins (WF1) with salad and BBQ sauce.

Snack - nuts. I was on my way out and knew dinner was going to be late.

I'm way home I stopped by the supermarket and bought a bag if mini carrots which I then mindlessly ate. I didn't want nuts again, was hungry and knew I wouldn't be home for another 45 minutes. Not sure whether or not it was allowed but figured it was the best I could do in the situation. Something to remember though as I quite enjoyed them and probably much better for me than nuts.

M3: courgette spaghetti and bolognaise.

Day 23: fairly uneventful day. I was quite hungry soon after waking up this morning which I guess is a good thing. However, I didn't have time to eat before cycling to work, so had to struggle through that first. I might try having a boiled egg tomorrow morning before I leave and see if that helps.

M1: frittata made with swede, onion and eggs. Not great - need a better recipe. Had it with mackerel, broccoli, asparagus and avocado.

M2: pork and aubergine strata with salad including olives and a good helping of olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

Snacked on some roasted swede when got home.

M3: Moroccan meatballs with roasted pumpkin, broccoli and asparagus.

Didn't drink enough during the day today.

Day 24: interesting day. Today was quite busy and by the end I was utterly exhausted. I decided to miss my training session and even not to cycle to work the next day as I'm so tired! Is this as a result of W30 I wonder??

M1: boiled egg before cycling to work (which was a good idea and I felt good on the bike today). Then pork and aubergine strata with salad and good helping of olive oil.

M2: meat muffins with courgette, leek and pesto.

Then the tiredness started to hit and I just wanted to eat and eat! I had an apple and a handful of cashews.

Later, I had more cashews... In fact, it became a bit of a frenzy. I was eating handfuls of cashews, almonds and nut butter straight from the jar... I just needed to eat! Looking back, I think my brain was rebelling.

M3: cauliflower rice with coconut, lamb tagine and broccoli.

Unsurprisingly, I was really full after supper and went to bed feeling a little bloated.

I went to bed early as I was still so tired and getting up this morning wasn't that easy. I am so ready for these 30 days to end.

Day 25: it's official. Nuts don't agree with me. After the nut blow out on day 24, I again felt bloated and had an uncomfortable tummy the next day. It makes me so sad as I love nuts. I think I can have a few... But not lots.

Yesterday was a tough day. Mentally I'd had enough and didn't want to quit but at the same time decided I was tired of the whole thing. Let's hope the next four days are better and that I start seeing some rocking energy levels! That's the one thing I don't seem to have yet.

Snack: banana on way to work.

M1: mackerel with roasted cabbage, pumpkin, cucumber and raffish. Good helping of olive oil and some seeds.

M2: pork and aubergine strata with salad, sauerkraut and olives.

Snack - handful of nuts, nut butter, 2 carrots.

M3: 2 pork chops with pear sauce, roasted pumpkin, leek and greens.

Wow! Day 26! Only three more days left. After yesterday's slump and rant I'm feeling a lot less fed up today. I'm still tired and haven't hit the energy high, but I'm pleased I'm in a better mood. So, aside from being busy, W30 wise, it's been a good day.

M1: 3 egg omelette with spinach, mushroom, pepper, tuna and red pesto.

Mid morning I had some nutty granola and coconut yoghurt. I wasn't hungry and was just eating it because it was there. Almost instantly afterwards I felt unwell. I knew I didn't enjoy it. So it's official, nuts are off the menu. I had an apple to soothe the nausea which helped and went off to read about activated nuts on the internet.

M2: leftover chicken coconut curry with leek and greens. Handful of olives. I was left wanting after this so perhaps should have eaten more.

M3: roast chicken with Brussels sprouts and carrots.

Day 27: we had a big family gathering today and it was the first time in a month that I haven't had full control and knowledge over every single ingredient. It was a strange and slightly nerve wracking experience. However, it was a glimpse into life after the 30 days when it's just not sustainable to obsess over everything. We'll have to eat out eventually! Thankfully, the meal was catered for by a private chef who I managed to email in advance and so he made us a totally compliant meal... Right up to making us our own portion of swede as we couldn't have the swede mash be made, and poached pears for pudding with only spices and water. (I know desserts aren't allowed but it was a special occasion).

The rest of the day went well. M1: 3 egg omelette with pepper, spinach, mushroom, tuna and pesto. M2: leftover roast chicken with salad. M3: salmon and a whole selection of vegetables!

I still can't quite believe it's almost over. However, it's not really as I'm borrowing a dress from my cousin for a Christmas party on 6th December. I knew it would be too small as she generally wears a size smaller than me. Still, who knows... Maybe another 3 weeks of whole30 is what I need! I've tried it on and the zip comes up half way... 'Only' about half an inch to lose! :)

Archived