NOT an athlete - beginning exercise

Alexian28

I'm in the preparation stage for my first whole30.  I am a former athlete (15 years ago now) with quite a bit of weight to lose, but my main concern is changing my horrible eating habits.  Given the likelihood of being exhausted with different eating, more prep work, and my family to take care of, I know there are days when I won't feel like exercising, but I could exercise.  Can some of the whole30 "veterans" chime in on starting whole30 and starting exercise?  Should I:

1) Just focus on one major change at a time and do whole30 without worrying about exercise

2) Incorporate SOME activity at the same time as starting whole30 even if it's walking on a treadmill for half an hour

I know my health and fitness levels aren't that great and I have a lot of cardiovascular endurance to build up before I get to my favorite exercises - circuit strength training!  

I should say that I work at a medical school and they give us perks for exercising for a half hour, 3 times per week.

Thanks for the help!

• Moderators

A good place to start is brisk walking with your chest up and swinging your arms from your shoulders. I am a rather advanced exerciser, but am working on getting more walking or marching into my routine because I have been learning lots about its benefits. 

Definitely make it a conscious decision to increase your activity and fitness level now, don't wait or think you need to build up to it.

Given that your workplace incentives exercise, it should be easy to find/create a "lunch bunch" to go for a walk during your lunch break.

Make exercise a family affair -- plan outings on the weekends, ride bikes after dinner, etc.

Heck you can even get as simple/cheesy as doing toe-raises while cooking in front of the stove.

Make a fun challenge with your husband, "bringing sexy back" or something to that effect.

With the holidays coming up, make a commitment to be more healthy/weigh less/etc on Jan 1, rather than chalk up the holidays to 'oh well it's normal to indulge during this time of the year'.  You can still indulge in a variety of ways, but do it with intention not abandon.

• 3 weeks later...

I did whole 30/paleo for 6 months without doing much exercise other than chasing my kids around the park. Lost 50 lbs just by changing the way I ate. Then stopped losing and started to exercise and lost another 30. If food is what is holding you back, then concentrate on that now.

Ps. Noticing that this post is a few weeks old. Have you worked out? Or are you just eating whole30?

• Moderators

I'm not a beginning exerciser, but I struggle with getting it in too. Sometimes I don't feel like it!

I really like to use a post-meal walk as a good excuse to get out of the kitchen and away from food. And when I can't talk myself into a run, I make a little walk my compromise. I never, ever regret it.

Chardoll, it's so good to read your posts again.  You're an inspiration for many, many of us.  :) 

Alexia, I started out on Day 1 of my W30,  walking back and forth on a dirt road about 2 blocks long.   I started out with an extra 75.  I graduated to a trail on a hill, then a very steep trail on a mountain.  My main motivation in the beginning was to avoid loose skin.  It worked.  The steeper the trail, the harder your leg muscles work.  I used my arms to pull me up the trails.   I have 25 left but my skin is not swinging in the breeze.  

Before the snow blew in and the temps have dropped to  -19 below zero,  I was climbing about 32 miles/week of steep trails.  This made all of the difference in shrink-wrapping your skin,  increasing endurance and continued results.   I had to move it indoors to a pool.   Find something you like.   Walking and hiking works for me. ;) 

971820_758347800856669_888600568_n.jpg?o

• 4 weeks later...

I think walking is a great place to start when getting back into exercise.  You can start out walking slowly, then power up as you start getting fitter.  It requires no investment in money & you just walk right out the door to begin. 

If you're having trouble getting motivated, many of the local animal shelters need volunteers to take the dogs for walks.  The dogs are locked in small kennels all day, so it's great for their mental & physical health, as well as making them more likely to be adopted if they're not full of pent-up energy.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived