Day 2 - My First Whole30

Healthy(ish)Linz

Today is Day 2 of my first Whole30. Although I am very excited to start this journey, I felt a little overwhelmed with the planning and preparing aspect. The thoughts that ran through my head: "Am I buying too much food? Not enough?" "Am I going to be able to do this?" "Can I really go 30 days without alcohol?!" I feel anxious, which is normal for me when it comes to a change in routine. I am keeping a very open mind while making an effort to turn these apprehensive feelings into feelings of enthusiasm as I look forward to the positive changes to come.

Right now I am feeling a little bloated, lightheaded, and I have a headache. I almost feel a little delirious as well. The silver lining is that I don't have a bad stomach ache! (I struggle with stomach issues on a regular basis.)

This is what I have eaten so far today (it is about 3pm my time). It is hard for me to eat a lot at once as I typically graze throughout the day. As I want to eventually work towards eating 3 square meals a day, as the Whole30 program suggests, right now I am spreading out my meals a bit. I'm eating the amount of food suggested, just not all at one sitting.

• Water, Black Coffee
  • Pre-made "Egg Muffin" made with egg, onion, bell pepper, turkey bacon, salt, pepper (about the size of 2 regular-sized muffins
  • 1 banana
  • 1 handful carrots
  • Boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 1.5), bell peppers, onions (cooked with olive oil, salt, and pepper)

Please let me know if you have any tips, helpful hints, or suggestions!

Thanks,

Lindsey

• Moderators

It might help you reach your goal of three template meals per day quicker if every time you eat you eat to template. So, rather than snacking on carrots and a banana, if you're hungry after your egg muffins, have another egg muffin or some other variation of protein+veg+fat. This will help regulate blood sugar, reduce inflammation, and starve the sugar dragon. Eating a piece of fruit or carrots on their own will spike blood sugar, keep your feeling out of wack, and delay fat adaption.

Coffee is an appetite suppressant, so it might be helpful to eat your first meal of the day and hold drinking coffee until after you have eaten.  

That's a great point. I'll give it a shot. For as long as I can remember, I've woken up and had (a very unhealthy) iced caramel latte from Dunkin Donuts first thing in the morning, which has caused me to eat a weak breakfast (banana, if anything). I'm obviously not drinking lattes anymore and am sticking to black coffee only, but I still want it first thing in the morning. Thanks for the tip! I will have to work on that one.

It might help you reach your goal of three template meals per day quicker if every time you eat you eat to template. So, rather than snacking on carrots and a banana, if you're hungry after your egg muffins, have another egg muffin or some other variation of protein+veg+fat. This will help regulate blood sugar, reduce inflammation, and starve the sugar dragon. Eating a piece of fruit or carrots on their own will spike blood sugar, keep your feeling out of wack, and delay fat adaption.

LadyM, great suggestion! Per your advice, I had two egg muffins yesterday and felt better. I was satisfied until lunch time without snacking.

Archived