Day 21 and not feeling good

I'm on day 21 and not only am I not feeling tiger's blood, I'm feeling a little worse in terms of energy level than I was before starting, with no other positive changes either. Today I'm so tired and feeling depressed I'm having trouble concentrating at work. This is all supposed to the the easy downslide to the end and I'm really just thinking of quitting because I'm not seeing any good come out of this and I'm miserable.

For food, I think I've been okay. For breakfast I'll have ground pork (about 3 sausage patties worth) fried in a pan with ghee, sweet potato hash, and an apple with 2 tbsp of almond butter. Lunch would be meat --like 4ish oz of chicken or pork roast, salad with tomato and cucumber and homemade dressing. And little snack of nuts and raisins when I get home from work (since I go 7 hours between lunch and dinner), and then dinner of meat and a veggie (like last night was 6oz steak and asparagus sautéed with avocado oil). I feel like I'm eating enough, even though eating feels pretty joyless right now. Drinking a lot of water. Sleeping 8 hours, and still waking up exhausted and not enough energy to work out since I started this whole thing. Is anything really going to change in 9 days?

• Moderators

There is another alternative besides quitting. You can eat differently starting right now. You may need to eat starchy veggies twice per day... the equal of two sweet potatoes per day. Your food sounds a little boring. You would benefit from cooking some special meals from a cookbook like Well Fed or Well Fed 2. 

Yep. You can count on things to change.  There are reasons WHY this is a 30 day program

Based on what you mention here you are not eating enough.  Especially for your meal 1. And that will especially contribute to no energy feeling lethargic - etc.

When using eggs as protein they should be the number of eggs you can hold in one hand.   For most people it's 3 - 4.

Salads or raw veggies very often will not fill you up enough.  Your salad should be either huge or add a another cooked veggie to it.  Soup and salad+fat+protein work for great for me.

If you are hungry in between meal 2 and 3 then you should have a mini meal. It should look like the meal template except smaller. 

With all of the above being said it is pretty normal to be feeling kind of "meh" about your food.  This is a great time to experiment or throw in a favourite.  For me this would be Nomnom Paleo's Slow cooker Korean Short Ribs, Well Fed's Pad Thai, or sometimes it's as simple as a really awesome meatloaf recipe.

What else can I add to breakfast? I've been doing the homemade sausage instead of eggs for protein because I can't stand the thought of more eggs. I don't know what else to add though. I've already been late to work most mornings lately because of the time it takes to cook breakfast, there's not much more cooking time I can invest in the morning.

I can try adding another cooked veggie with lunch. Or soup. I haven't had much luck with new recipes. I've pinned a lot of recipes on Pinterest, and a lot haven't turned out well. A few were so bad that even my husband, who hates wasting food, agreed we should throw it out, lol. Maybe I should invest in a real cookbook.

Check out Well Fed's Silky Zucchini soup.  Great for breakfast.  Make a batch on the weekend and you should bet set until Thursday (at least)  It's also really good with cooked shredded chicken in it.

You can try a egg & sausage casserole (Just use Google here.  There are so many different variations.  Just find one that appeals to you)- I initially did this in the beginning.  I have been eating like  this for a while so now I have my favourite breakfasts generally down to 15 minutes and then in my mouth.  I got tired of eggs at one point - Many people do. 

My favourite breakfast is what I call a morning scrambler.  It does require a bit of minimal cookup on the weekend. 

What I do before hand:

Cut up one onion and sauté it in a pan until it's soft.  Then add 1 pound of ground meat.  (I normally use beef but you could use whatever you want) brown it along with the onion.  Season it with salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder as you are browning it.  Done put it aside.  Once it cools put it in the fridge.

Shred one medium sized sweet potato.  If you have a food processor this will make your life a whole lot easier.  If not, just hand grate a sweet potato.  Put it in a container and put it in the fridge.

Buy either a container of baby spinach or whatever greens you like.  Frozen also works well.

Your prep work is done.

Morning of your breakfast.  Put some fat into a pan.  Throw a generous handful of browned meat into the pan.  Add a good handful of shredded sweet potato.  Season generously. I use the same blend as what I use for my meat mixture.  Sometimes I will add paprika too. 

Once your sweet potato is a bit soft.  Add a couple of good handfuls of spinach.  Let it wilt.  As your spinach is wilting grab 2 eggs and whisk them.  Once your spinach is well wilted and cooked add the eggs.  Scramble them around with the entire mixture until it is cooked.

If you have mayo add a good dollop and eat.

That is pretty much my standard breakfast.  I do many different variations of it but this is my go to.  Kind of like my pre-paleo days of cereal.

Thanks. I'm really feeling so done with all of this. I'm incredibly unhappy, this thing is not working, and I'm pretty sure it's not going to work--either because my body is too stupid to react appropriately to healthy food (wouldn't be the first time my body has failed to do something that it's supposed to inherently be able to do), or because all the good stuff that's supposed to happen is placebo effect.

You have gotten lots of great suggestions. I have one more. Have you tried moving your starchy vegetables to later in the day? Some people don't handle starchy vegetables and fruit as well in their first meal I've noticed. I rarely have them in mine but usually have them in meals 2 and 3. Are you eating your meal 1 within an hour of waking up? I didn't see any mention of coffee or tea...did you cut that for Whole30 or have you not been a coffee/tea drinker. Whole30 isn't necessarily for everyone, but sticking out the entire 30 days and trying some tweeks won't hurt you. I know so many people who didn't see any changes until days 28, 29, 30, or beyond. How different is Whole30 from how you were eating before? Context is important.

• Administrators

"This thing is not working, and I'm pretty sure it's not going to work"

You sound really bummed, I'm very sorry to hear that.  My question would be, if "this thing" (eating meats, veggies, fats and some fruits) isn't going to work for you, what is your alternative?  My assumption is that you've come to the Whole30 because you felt you needed better health, to lose some inflammation/weight or to break some bad habits.  So if you kick Whole30's healthful and nutritious eating plan to the curb, where do you go to?  I'm truly curious. 

I suspect that like most people you would probably head back to grains (bread in sandwiches, pasta, maybe quinoa and probably baked goods).  The only reason those will help you to feel better? CARBS.  And you can get those badly needed carbs in far more healthful ways.  Load up on the winter squash, roasted pumpkin, roasted beets, roasted baby potatoes (can you tell I like roasting?!).  Bake a couple sweet potatoes and then mash with a head of cauliflower for Yamiflower (SO good!).

Also, add some fat!  More than you think you need.  Your brain is made up of 60-70% fat that comes from what you consume.  Fat also makes you feel good inside both satisfaction wise and, personally for me, mentally.  The combo of increasing your carbs and adding more fat will help.

And finally, consider that your body might be going through more than you necessarily know and perhaps it is going to take longer than 30 days (and certainly longer than the 22 you've done) to get all your hormones in line, get your brain settled and your body understanding that good and healthy food is where its at.

Good luck! 

Yeah I don't know where I would go back to, that's the only reason I'm keeping going (albeit, quite resentfully). I didnt have any health issues before starting. I just had issues with emotional eating and eating a lot of sweets and feeling out of control. I've always been low energy and getting more energy was my main reason for doing this. And I feel worse. I'll try more carbs, I guess, and later in the day. But how will that help give me energy in the morning? I'm having trouble even getting out of bed after 8 hours of sleep.

I am eating within an hour of waking. No coffee or teas, because I've never liked that stuff. I've always been a diet soda drinker, so that was my morning caffeine.

You might want to take a look at this thread: http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/9938-how-whole30-made-me-crazy-and-why/

And consider this article: http://whole30.com/2014/01/do-you-really-want-to-quit/

I also wonder if there is a non-food reason for your low energy, as it seems it's been a long-standing issue for you?  Perhaps a visit with a functional medicine practitioner could be a possible next step? 

Have you sought any sort of professional help for emotional eating?

Hm, I do have a history of depression, but I'm currently on an antidepressant that's not an SSRI. I didn't think I had serotonin issues, though, since SSRIs don't even work on me. I haven't talked to anyone about the emotional eating in particular. I have a history of an ED, so I pretty much know what they're going to say already. I'll try to look in to the functional medicine. I haven't had a physical in a couple of years.

• Administrators

Agree with GFChris, that your low energy sounds to be a chronic and longstanding challenge for you.....so to be fair to YOU, 22 days of shaking up your eating to the Whole30 way is probably not going to be enough to kick you over to the other side.  30 might not be enough either and to be honest, it might take you a long time to find YOUR "formula" that makes your body, mind, digestion and energy the best that they can be.

The exclusion list is written in stone.  The meal templates are the best possible suggestion.  But if YOU need to eat 3 sweet potatoes every day and YOU need to eat 4 or 5 sausage patties in the morning or maybe your body doesn't deal well with nuts...those are all things for you to figure out.

I would heartily suggest you see if you can get a different mind set going....less "I'll do it because what choice do I have, this sucks!" and maybe more towards "This might take me awhile and whether I can see it or not, my body is healing."  (especially if you were big into the sugar...which is toxic to the body in so many ways....your healing and rebalancing might take awhile)

Thank you everyone for your help. I had some sweet potato at dinner last night and I feel human again today! I'm hoping the timing of extra starchy vegetable is what made the difference. I wasn't typically having it at dinner before. Fingers crossed this feeling better is here to stay, and the extra starchy veggies don't make me gain any weight!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived