Prep Phase for 10/24- Need tips

DMC2014

Hi all, This is my first post and my first shot at this Whole30 thing and although I've been reading furiously, I would love to hear your tips for a successful 30 days- What helped you the most? What pitfalls did you encounter? How did you overcome them? 

My reasons for starting Whole30:

- Headaches: I have suffered from headaches for years but this past week I have had one everyday. I hope that through this I will be able to identify a cause. 

- Bloat: I visibly notice a difference in the size of my stomach with certain foods I eat. This is such an uncomfortable feeling!

- Practice what you Preach: I feed my 3 year old very well. Some of her favorite foods are vegetables and although I love veggies too, I find that I am more conscious about the packaged foods that I buy for her than for myself. 

- Health: This directly ties with the reasons above but I want to live a long, healthy life and be an active participant in my daughters life rather than sit on the sidelines cheering because I am too tired, out of shape, uncomfortable, to participate. 

Any tips, suggestions, etc. are extremely welcome! 

Thanks! 

My only tip would be to have stand-by foods available. With a toddler, you're probably very busy! I don't have kids but I work 7 days and the most challenging thing for me has been those times that I'm behind schedule and starving. having some ready foods in the fridge saved me. I usually keep hard boiled eggs around and cut up veggies; things that i can stuff in my mouth and go or eat on the move. IMO there is nothing worse than being starving late at night while having to spend an hour cooking dinner.

Also- Larabars=fat headache almost immediately (at least for me)

Thank you, April! I have done a lot of prep over the last few days and I feel like I'm constantly doing dishes but it's been fine. I have hardboiled eggs, carrots, fruit and cans of organic chicken on hand. I did buy a few Larabars (before I saw your warning) and thought those might be good in emergencies. I have never had them before and today (Day 2) I was having a killer sweet attack while I was making snack for my daugher so I gave in and had the Apple Pie bar. I was surprised that it was actually pretty tasty but I couldn't figure out why I had a KILLER headache almost immediately. Now I know! 

I am getting ready to do my first whole 30 on Nov 1! I am feeling kind of prepared. I have made a meal plan for the first 2 weeks. But i'm feeling unprepared still because i won't be able to go shopping until Nov 1, after i get paid. I'm hoping to do a lot of prep this weekend too, making mayo, some sauces, pepping some meals for breakfast and dinner. (Lunch i just plan on eating leftovers, or tuna if there are no leftovers).

Any tips you have i would appreciate as well! And support during the actual whole 30, i know i'm going to need it!

2 weeks is a really long time between grocery store trips when it comes to planning meals and fresh veggies. I would stock up on items that are easily frozen (meats) and buy plenty of eggs to last you through the 2 weeks. (I've gone through almost 2 dozen eggs in less than a week.) You may also be able to make up all your meals and freeze them so they are ready to go and that might make the veggies last longer. 

When I plan my menu for the week (even before W30) I would always plan to eat the items that perish the fastest, first. Saving things like potatoes, carrots, steak, toward the end of the week (I shop once a week generally). 

I'm sure frozen veggies would work too but I haven't tried them. 

Good luck to you! 

Archived