Seriously, WHY am I still hungry?

Sarah88

Hi everyone,

I am on day 10 of my whole30. I am doing quite well, but I am having serious trust issues towards my body and brain (I know they are the same, I hope you guys understand what I mean) and the signals they give me. For instance, everyone on the forum keeps saying that the meals you eat should keep you satiated for 4-5 hours, and, if not, that you are eating too little. The last couple of days, I have had bad cravings for things in between meals. Not chocolate or chips, but real food, like protein, veggies, and yeah, I do miss my fruit. But seriously, it CAN"T be the size of my portions, for they are HUGE. I almost feel bad to eat them, they are that big. Trust me when I tell you that my portions are in check - i totally stick to the meal template because I really want to do this right. Like this morning, I had HALF a cauliflower (riced up), a bunch of carrots with lemon/tahini/olive oil dressing and a piece of slow-cooked beef that was about 1, 5 times the size of my palm. I am really full after such a meal, I drink some tea and feel good about myself, and then 2 hours later, bam bam bam, all I can think about is food. So, three hours after breakfast I had some greens and 100 grams of smoked salmon. One hour later: wanting more food, again...Totally frustrating. On the forum, they say that if you are hungry for steamed fish and broccoli, then you know that you are really hungry. But, seriously, I. could. eat. fish. and. broccoli. all. day. long. Seriously, with the stuff I am eating, I CANNOT be hungry, I don't trust myself, and I am scared of overeating and gaining weight. I am now thinking that this signal your brain ought to sent that tells you that you are full/had enough, is just not working for me, or, possibly, its because I am so focussed on food right now with this whole whole30 thing that the 'I want to eat'' part of my brain is just constantly triggered. I don't know. Its annoying as hell, especially since the changes I've made aren't all that significant, for prior to my whole30, I have been eating paleo for the last four years. The biggest change I've made is eating MORE, and eating less fruit..I would say that such a combination of changes would have to result in being LESS hungry, rather than more. I have also been exercising less than normally, due to a knee injury (very, very bummed out about that, but I need to let it heal before I start to put stress on it again, or it will just get worse), so again, I would think that, since I am consuming less energy, I would also have to be LESS hungry..Sorry about this frustration rant you guys. I am just rather insecure about this. It is like I am now obsessed with eating, and I feel bad and ugly for it, I KNOW I am not hungry, but I just can't get ''food thoughts'' out of my head. The only thing that works is not triggering the ''eat signal'' at all, meaning, that I do not eat breakfast when I get up but put it off for a few hours. For, the minute I trigger the ''eat signal'', and have my breakfast, it just won't stop buzzing ALL DAY LONG. Seriously, why? The only thing I can think of is that my period is due, (or actually, it was due 5 days ago), but only because I've read on the forums that women can get more hungry when they're having their period. But again, my changes aren't all that significant (didn't eat grains, diary, and only occasionally something real sugary) and I was not experiencing this kind of serious food obsession during periods before I started my whole30. So, I am not sure that is it. I hope anyone can help me or has had similar issues. I know all about distracting oneself, but trust me when I tell you that the ''food, food, food'' voice is still there, even when I am reading/watching tv/taking  a walk etc.

Thank you!

What Miss Mary said.  I've  gone through all sorts of cravings - First time around I craved nothing but red meat for about 3 days.  I was advised to roll with it.  So I did. 

Then I had cravings for nothing but fat and bacon.  This too lasted for 3 days.  Again I rolled with it.

Basically when I took on this project of "getting myself better through food" I decided to stop overthinking things, forget everything that I had ever heard about food in the past and just trust the process.  Have faith in it.  Listen to body cues and stop stressing over what it was telling me. 

I have since learned since my first whole 30 that when you crave fat and nutrient dense meats its because you're not consuming enough calories for your body to operate correctly.  That is something to think about.

I have since learned since my first whole 30 that when you crave fat and nutrient dense meats its because you're not consuming enough calories for your body to operate correctly. That is something to think about.

I wonder if that explains why I've eaten an entire 1.5kg pork roast in 3 days? (In addition to the two other meals per day) 2 weeks in a row... I'm not hungry but perhaps I should be eating more anyway.

I think there's a lot to be said for food being constantly on your mind. Try distracting yourself. Also, agree with increasing fat and protein comments - I didn't have enough fat/protein for breakfast and I'm still hungry :)

I think there's something on the W30 timeline about being hungry in the first week. Just roll with it and it too will pass.

Thanks for your help everyone!

Well, it is super cold here..Could possibly have something to do with it..And I like the idea that the answer might be that my body is now craving nutrient-dense food, as MissMary and Carlaccini suggested..I We'll see whether this normalizes over the next coming days. In the meantime, I'll try not to worry too much..;)

@ladyshanny: I think I am getting enough fat, for I seared the slowscooked beef on all sides in some olive oil before I let it simmer for 2, 5 hours, and there was olive oil and tahini in the dressing that I put over the carrots..I also had 100 grams of smoked salmon for my second meal, which is really fatty, for unfortunately, I could only get my hands on some organic salmon, instead of wild caught salmon this time..And then I also had 1/4 of an avocado later..So I would think that's enough? 

• Administrators

Hi Sarah, you seem to be cognizant of trying to get enough fat. Were it me, that would not be nearly enough. Most cooking fat stays in the pan once you remove the food. Half to a whole avocado is a serving of fat, too. My suggestion would be to start experimenting. Add more to your meals and see how you feel. Are you lasting longer between? I agree that thinking about food constantly is not healthy....I also know that the moment your body has enough fat and protein, you can go 5-6 hours wihtout thinking about eating...because there is nothing to think about, your body and brain should be satisfied.

As a moderator said in a different thread, when you start to be morally shocked by the amount of fat you're eating, you're halfway to where you should be. ;) We as women are fat phobic...and there is no need to be on a Whole30.

Good Luck!

Super cold in the Netherlands?  Funny I don't remember it ever being such...... ;)  But I do have to say with the dampness - yes it feels so much colder.....

Both of my parents are Dutch.  I have spent many a Christmas in Nederland when I was younger.  I was last there in 2009 and I would say that winter rivaled a cold Canadian winter.  So yeah. 

I would definitely second the motion to add more fat. What you are mentioning above would leave me hungry.  Remember fat keeps you filled up.  And I'm 5'9" (I don't know how tall you are but I know people from the Netherlands have a tendency to be on the tall side :rolleyes:)

Archived