Hoo-boy. Multiple kids so need a reset. Anxiety and concentration ??s

wildatheart

As my signature indicates, we have seven kids. We started the older ones out early in life with NO sugar. I was the sugar Gestapo. But as life marched on and more kids came, sugar crept in. We do not do candies and fast food, or much of anything boxed, frozen or canned, but there is ALOT of homemade chocolate and sugar going on here. We cook from scratch, and my older girls loves to cook and bake, so that does not help. lol. 

I am worried though. With this many kids, we could have REALLY bad "Kill ALL the things" days. 

My oldest daughter has asthma, allergies, and has always been a very anxious child. She also has what's called trichotillomania. Which basically means she pulls her hair out one hair at a time, especially when she's nervous or thinking hard (school). My next daughter is most likely dyslexic (has topped out on all the pretests people can give her without charging for the full test). She really has trouble concentrating. My third child is a boy with Asperger's syndrome and Hirschsprung's Disease (nerve disease that manifests in the bowel). He also has trouble with concentration. 

My four littlest are just addicted to the daily treats their sisters make, and I am trying to avoid the school troubles my oldest children have. 

I am not even sure what I'm asking except that I am hoping someone has been through a Whole 30 with multiple children and has come out on the other side alive. lol. 

You might benefit well from relaxing the SWYPO rule and making otherwise-compliant treats for the kids to help wean them off of sugar. It isn't what would be best for adults, but for kids in the situation you describe, it will probably help you more than trying to immediately cut them from baked treats to veggies and dip. Paleo Parents have a lot of recipes like this. You can get the kids involved in making your own almond flour to use in them too - see how much it takes to make enough for the recipe, etc.

Thanks for your reply!

Maybe if I allowed them more fruit and fruit sweetened things that would be better. It's really about clean eating and seeing if some common allergens might be affecting them, not as much about following strict rules. Gives me something to think on. :)

Yep! It's a blog, and they have several published cookbooks. Their first, Eat Like a Dinosaur, was geared at helping kids understand the transition to Paleo and giving them some of the foods that they might want (chicken strips, etc.). Not quite as cost effective at eating otherwise, but it might help transition you guys?

I've only got two kids so I'm in a completely different boat than you, but we've gotten through a Whole30 successfully and we've incorporated much of that into our lives (until this past summer :)).  My kids enjoyed looking through the cookbooks and choosing meals and choosing the paleo treats.  Baking paleo isn't the same and requires different ingredients, but the treats are tasty and the kids and I enjoy baking things together.  I also know that my allergies aren't triggered by the paleo baked goods and the sugar dragon isn't activated.

The cookbooks we really enjoyed were Practical Paleo and The Paleo Effect.  Both have lots of good photos and some good treats like pumpkin custard which is perfect for this coming month.

Our kids had to do Whole30 with us the first time (and that Kill All Things day was a nightmare).  The next time we did it, we staggered our starts so that I was in good shape and ready to be pleasant and patient.  We talk openly about why we are trying to eat healthier and what that looks we.  Over time, we noticed the positives for all of us (better sleep, less eczema, less coughing, etc) so our kids have internalized that clean eating is a positive thing.  We admit that we enjoy junk food but feel better when we limit the amount of it.  Right now I'm doing another much needed Whole30 and my Halloween cookie eating kids are being dragged along.  They eat gobs of fruit and are having some school provided junk food, but overall, they're eating what I eat for breakfast and dinner and are healthier and more balanced than otherwise.  A Whole30 for them wouldn't hurt, but I think they're doing okay following in my wake.

You've got a lot of people to care for.  Be kind to yourself in this process and take things a step at a time.  

Archived