Ella's Whole30 log

Elladc67

Day 4. THAT'S IT?!

So far so good honestly. Not too many craving (except why is everyone eating TOAST?!). Everyone I see has toast - what's the deal - don't they know how much I love toast. I haven't found myself dreaming of toast - or even buying bread, but I certainly am noticing all this toast.

Meals are going well. Planning is going well. I made a 30 day spreadsheet - just in case I get weak - it's right there - in my face! 4 days in and I have learned so much about food and about my health. Is it really this food that caused all my health issues, why are we not brought up realizing this? At 28 I feel sad that I am just now learning how to take care of myself!

My Fiance is having trouble with the sugar dragon, I have emailed him some tips and gotten some support for him from past Whole30ers - hopefully he can beat those cravings.

We are working out at least 3 days a week - more when our schedule permits. We were doing that about 3 weeks before we started Whole30 - and I feel it in my waistline (SCORE!!!).

All in all not too bad thus far. I feel great. I am not feeling as hungry as I was.

Let's see what Day 5 has in store for me!!

Best,

Ella

Day 8! WOOT WOOT! 8 is a good number - right? Day 8 is going great - see what I did there? I have no idea if I am doing this whole forum thing right, but meh, it's working out. Day 6 and 7 were tough. I was so TIRED. I was getting ready for my monthy cycle as well, so by tired I mean, dead tired. I had to nap, just about an hour, I felt great after. Day 7 brought me cramps. The worst cramps I have ever had; women, has this been true for you? I usually have pretty tough periods, with cramps, but nothing like the ones I had on day 7. I was on the floor, in a ball, almost in tears! Whew, but I made it through! Still some cramping today, but not as bad. Days 2-7 also brought horrible nightmares for my Fiance and myself. HORRIBLE, wake you up and can't go back to sleep nightmares. I did a little reasearch and it seems like others' have experienced this. I cut back my fruit intake in the evening and no nightmares last night. What did I dream about? Ruining my whole30 by eating McDonald's and having a Diet Coke. The Diet Coke I get, I loved that stuff, so I am sure I am craving it. But of all the things to waste a food dream on; MCDONALDS! Gross. I was never really a big fan anyway. Couldn't the dream been about cake or something!! I spent Sudany prepping dinners for the week. This has been a savior, my Fiance and I lead busy lives so it's nice to come home to dinner already done. This also keeps us on track. I commute to work and am out of the house for almost 16 hours. I have to pack, bfast, lunch and dinner (if it's a gym night). So it's beneficial to have all the food ready to go. We keep the freezer stocked with easy meals to cook up. Pork chops, minute steaks, and other goodies. This way we never have to spend too much time in the kitchen during the week! Day 8 down, 22 more to go!

I've got this ;)

for now..lol.

Best,

Ella

Day 9 - I think Day 9 is the day that my brain is trying to get me to quit. I have cramps, I am cranky, everyone is eating a halloween cookie right now and I am just GRUMPY!

I hope this isn't going to last through day 11, otherwise my household better run the other way!

best,

grumpy pants.

The dreams are so funny.  I dreamed about eating rolls.  I don't even like rolls, but in my dream they were so good!  I'm also amazed that I spent so much of my life not being as keenly aware about the connection between my health and my food.  I mean, I knew they were connected, but not like I do now.  Now, I get it.  Except that getting it and doing it are still two different entities.  It sounds like you and your fiance are pretty on top of things. A 30 day spreadsheet is rather brilliant.  It's hard planning for meals at the last minute as I constantly try to prove! :)

Day 11 - whew..day 10 and day 11 - not my friends!

So my Fiance fially kicked over to where I was my entire first week; "i feel so great omg so much energy." Now I am where he was "omg don't look at me all i want is bread and I smell it every..OMG CHOCOLATE." Mostly that is what I felt yesterday. I was so baffled by it, then I flat out asked myself (out loud) why are you craving, what's going on? LIGHTBULB! I am anxious. SUPER anxious over a test I have coming up, a big one that could lead to a promotion, if I pass it. I have really bad test anxiety, and it is kicking be in the butt. So I figured it out, I want to eat to take my mind off of the anxiety over my test. (So crazy that it took this many years to admit this crap to myself!). SO what did I do last night? I didn't eat a piece of anything while I had cravings, instead I told my brain to shut it and I studied some more. Took my mind off of the craving. Today I am not really craving. I am just blah. Like, I don't want eggs again for breakfast. I work Monday - Thurday; 10 hour shifts. So we cook 3 big meals on sunday, as well as breakfast on the go to last us, so we don't have to worry about cooking during the week. However, on Thursdays, I am so bored - and this makes it hard. So I am looking forward to Friday. I have the freedom to cook up wonderfully, delicious foods! The weekends are kind to my creativeness. So I get to be super happy on the weekend and that helps me get through the week! Speaking of Friday - all that Halloween candy is going to be tough. SUPER tough. I am going to be running away from everyone!! It is also my first social outing since startin my Whole30. I am nervous, however, I told the hostess that I have many restrictions so I will bring my own snacks and my own mocktails! This way I do not feel bad for not being able to eat anything she is going to prepare. I also plan to eat a big dinner before I go, just in case there is something there that looks so tasty, hopefully my fullness will get me through!

I am not really worried about slipping up or giving up - just more driving myself crazy thinking about what I want!! HAHA.

But the outcomes I have already seen and read, trump any bread that I so badly want right now. It's a want, not a need, and we don't always get what we wanttttt!

My Fiance and I are in deep discussion on our plan for after day30. Just to be one step ahead - we have to really think about how we are going to change our habits after day 30. I do not think eating this way is practical to where we are in life at this moment. Location a huge factor. That said, whole30 is a wonderful stepping stone - probably more than that. I shows you how good you feel when you eat real food. It teaches you about your food, your body, your brain and many other things. I will keep many of the things that I learned in these 30 days and apply them to my new future. I just think that every now and then I may want a pancake - and I think that is ok. The difference, I will have one pancake, and maybe it will be made with more wholesome ingredients, maybe with flours that do not contain wheat. The possibilities are endless!!

Day 11.

Bring on day 12.

Best,

Ella (not so grumpy pants anymore - but HUNGRY! Lunch Time!)

Halloween IS tough!  I bought candy and had to hide it from myself.  Not that I would have dipped into it, but I didn't like walking past it and finding myself wanting to pop a snickers in my mouth!

Post Whole30 planning is smart.  I know lots of people do the reintroduction and determine what foods they can eat easily.  We ended up eating fairly Whole30 at home, but going out to eat where we found rice sat well with us and we nixed dairy and pastas.  We also nixed all traditional pancakes at home and only do paleo ones.  There are some really good recipes that make good thick tasty pancakes and don't leave me with the foggy head and don't trigger the stuff-your-face behaviors.

Day 12 - you are so ready for this next week.  It does just get better and better.

• Moderators

My Fiance and I are in deep discussion on our plan for after day30. Just to be one step ahead - we have to really think about how we are going to change our habits after day 30. I do not think eating this way is practical to where we are in life at this moment. Location a huge factor. That said, whole30 is a wonderful stepping stone - probably more than that. I shows you how good you feel when you eat real food. It teaches you about your food, your body, your brain and many other things. I will keep many of the things that I learned in these 30 days and apply them to my new future. I just think that every now and then I may want a pancake - and I think that is ok. The difference, I will have one pancake, and maybe it will be made with more wholesome ingredients, maybe with flours that do not contain wheat. The possibilities are endless!!

If you haven't already, I'd recommend reading the I Finished the Whole30 information. It's got links to reintroduction information, and a section with links to articles and information about life post-W30.

Day 15! Today I feel like a champ! Why is that? Because I promised myself something and I have successfully conquered half of it. Now I just look at the next 15 days. That's it, 15 days and then I can say that I took a VERY active role in beginning my journey to a healthier life. I had yet another dr's appointment on the 31st, which was my physical. The dr said "you are completely healthy!!" MUSIC TO MY EARS. I had dropped almost 6 lbs since the last friday (yay) and had explained to her my diet and new exercise routine. While my weight is still high, I am on my way to a new, healthier life. I used to be so scared to visit the dr, I just couldn't stand to hear "you're fat" (obviously they were nicer) one more time. Before this I was trying to manage my weight, I just needed the proper tools. I have really good self esteem, but a dr visit, always tested that! BUT friday, I was ready! I had a toolbox full of NEW tools, and I was feeling great! My reward? A complete physical with a Gold Star! Nothing is better (I also visited the dentist and had a great checkup on the same day!). It feels great taking care of myself. If I am ever blessed with children, I now know the importance of teaching these life lessons to them early on. It would have been much easier to tackle all of this at an earlier age. But any age is worth starting, correct? I survived Halloween, even at a party FULL of Halloween treats (I basically ate an entire veggie tray to myself- but easier to keep my mouth full of veggies than cookies!). It was hard, but honestly, not as hard as I had anticipated. I had eaten dinner before I went, adn brought my own snacks, this was I also had something to munch on. Today I have a craving for something sweet, I assume it is my brain pouting over me telling it NO in regards to all the Halloween candy. I am still struggling with being hungry all the time, or physically feeling hunger pains, even after I eat. I do not try and feed them, but they are certainly VERY obnoxious. Could there be something I am not getting enough of? I feel like I am eating a good amount of food, but they keep coming back! I have to leave for work at 4:30am, so breakfast is an egg or fruit at that time and then a heartier breakfast at 8:30am. What am I doing wrong?

All in all I feel GREAT. I have a big exam for work on Wednesday, Day 17, let's have it! I feel very clear headed and I think that will work towards my advantage.

Day 15 almost over and a win!

The bread cravings are gone. WoOT.

Best,

Ella

• Moderators

Congrats on getting through the Halloween party! And for making it to the halfway point! And the doctor's appointment -- I can't wait until I've lost enough weight that their, congrats on losing some weight, isn't immediately followed by -- now lose some more. :)

You really shouldn't be hungry if you're eating enough food. If you are truly hungry between meals, like you could eat something bland like steamed fish and broccoli, eat a mini-meal of protein, fat, and veggies. While the ideal is three meals a day, you aren't supposed to be hungry, and some people do have trouble at first eating enough at one meal to stay satiated for 4-5 hours between meals.

If you list a few days' worth of food you're eating, you could get some feedback on if there's things you can tweak to help you feel more satiated throughout the day.

Things to consider: Make sure you're following the meal template for every meal. If you eat eggs, a serving is as many whole eggs as you can hold in your hand. That's probably at least three, and I've seen people get as many as five. (You can mix proteins, so you don't have to have 3-4 eggs, you can have two eggs, and some sausage or steak or some other protein to make up a full serving, if that helps. And you absolutely don't have to eat eggs, I mention them because people tend to underestimate how many they need if they do have them.) Try to get 2-4 cups of vegetables at each meal. Use at least one thumb's worth of fat, and more if you like -- and don't count the fat you cook with unless you're sure you're actually consuming it, and it's not just sitting in the pan once you've cooked the food. And if you're working out, especially intense workouts, you do get a pre- and post-workout meal too.  

Thanks for the advice! When you really put out there the serving size and how it equates to food, I am really not eating enough! I ususally will have one egg, maybe two. I have upped the amount of veggies with each meal, but think I need to add at least another cup in there! I was a bit closer to vegetarian (or carbatarian?!) before this, so adding the protein has been a challenge for me. I am certianly getting there! I had a massive (or it felt massive) breakfast today that was probably more appropriate to the amount I should be eating!

It is all downhill from here =)) Day 16!!

I can see food boredom setting in, so my plan is to start researching some new recipes. Maybe next week we will do no eggs for breakfast, just to have a break!

What's nice is being able to list the things that I do NOT miss. There are quite a few, also, I was so addicted to diet coke and I am not missing in and have not really expierenced the caffiene headaches. I still have a cup of tea 2-4 days a week, but that's it. If anything I am thankful for the things that these 16 days have taught me. I have learned so much about who I am and what food it and what it isn't. These are life changing moments and I am forever greatful. I know I am not supposed to plan, and this may change, but for day 31, I would like a tiny smidge of chocolate! LOL. Maybe that will change, maybe it wont, but somewhere in my future is going to be a bite of chocolate. Just a bite ;)

But for now - NO CHOCOLATE - just keep sailing on the "this is the best food I have ever made" ship.

Best,

Danielle

Day 19!!

Day 18 was rough, mainly because the train I take home was delayed 2 hours. This meant no time for the gym because supper had to be prepared. Whole30 does not lend itself kindly at times to a woman who is away from her home for 16 hours a day! While I pack as much food as I think I will need, you never know with the train ahead of you is going to hit something O.O! So I sat on that train and became hungrier and hungrier, and a tad cranky! Instead of getting off the train once arrived to my destination, and eating a quick meal. I had to drive to the store, get some food, and come home and cook. This was rough!! Some veggies only go so far on an empty stomach. While I am loving the benefits of my Whole30 journey, I will be glad when I can incorporate more back into my diet. Even though some quick things are not always the best, they are not necessary often, and only have to be enjoyed in small quantities. eating dinner at 9pm does not make for a good night/sleep!

That said - I am feeling a lot more positive today than the last 2. I have severe food boredom. I have compiled new recipes for this weekend, and a week of breakfast meals that DO NOT INVOLVE EGGS. I am not sure I can put another in my mouth...............

day 19 = meh

Bring on day 20!!!! I am ready for a new day =)

best,

Danielle

Day 22. WHAT?! 22?!

Day 20 and 21 were TOUGH. Wowza. Food boredom set it. I was sick to my stomach and had a terrible headache and NEVER felt hungry. I pretty much didn't eat for a day and a half - so I did some research and read some stuff about the changing bacteria in my gut, and it really made a lot of sense. My FH was ready to throw in the towel, he was in MAJOR food boredom, just ready to be done with this Whole30 thing! However, we decided to go to Chipotle and get the closest thing to Whole30 we could, and that really seemed to help. 1. just feeling like we were out on a date or out at dinner because we do enjoy that. 2. Chipotle is good. That go us back on track! So yesterday I made 4 new recipes and now we have a fridge full of goodies to help us through our last little bit!

Day 31 is fast approaching and my plan is to keep on keeping on, LOL. We are going to slowly reintroduce things into our diet, but really just keep cooking at home and eating good food. I am not going to lie though, I really want a bowl of rice chex and almond milk, and that my be something I have on day 31 or 32. I just love me some cereal! My plan to keep dairy and wheat out as much as possible. I certainly don't miss dairy, but I do miss bread - but not enough to justify eating in regularly.

Slow is the way it will go. I go to my mom's house for Thanksgiving for a week right after day 31 and man am I nervous! Mom's house is in a little town that is full of some of the best FRIED foods this world has even seen! However, I called my mom and told her that I planned to mostly cook at home and did not plan to go out to eat. This way there is no temptation. Thanksgiving will be enough! My sister makes the world's best pumpkin bars, and I plan on having just a tad! I don't want to thwart all of this hard work - so I just plan to keep working hard while I am there!

So here's to day 22. 8 days left. I got this!

Best,

Danielle

Day 24.

I have a headache the size of Texas.

This has honestly been the hardest week of my Whole30. HARD. I have back to back meeting and delayed trains. Lunch is happening 7 plus hours after breakfast. Wowza. One of my meetings during lunch was a luncheon. I was able to have water. Yum. Today my 4 hour long meeting during breakfast provided breakfast - i was able to have water. YUM. Seee the common theme here?

Now hear me out. I feel AMAZING. (minue this headache I've had for 4 days). I have said it many times before and I say it again. Whole30 taught me a lot about who I am with food and without. I have learned a great deal of respect for the things that go into my body. I have learned to take of myself physically and mentally. I just feel better. However, I do not think Whole30 will work for me long term. BUT what it taught me will. Make sense? I have a plan. I know what more I should eat and what I should never really want/need/eat ever. I also know that if I have meetings all through lunch into the late afternoon, I am going to have that half of sandwhich that they provided. Why? Because the inability to focus due to my stomach and head is not helping me retain anything. I can never pack enough, I will never be prepared for those situations. I don't care if anyone thinks that is an excuse or not. I spend every sunday in the kitchen for 6 hours - and I still run into an issue where I sometimes (more often than not) just don't have any food - and what is provided I cannot have. This actually makes me feel defeated. I feel that I have to sit there and be hungry. I feel like it is the complete opposite of reward - that I am being punished? Whole30 is an amazing jumpstart and I am sure I will do it again at some point. I feel great - I am just ready to go back to a world where I can make decisions and not feel like I am being punished. Now if I am deciding to eat 3 pastrys over the yogurt - then I should be punished, because there was a better option! And that right there is what my Whole30 was about. Teaching me about the better options.

I am ready for day 31. Just to come back into my world and start to live my life around things that are best for me and right for me!

It will be here before I know it!

best,

Ella

• 3 months later...

Talk about bad follow up! It looks like I stopped on Day 24 - stopped posting. We made it to our first Whole30! It was a blessing - then the Holidays came. We were NOT prepared. Not prepared for food, family, life and stress. A LOT has gone down for my Fh and myself since ending our first Whole30 - mainly we didn't stick to our "healthy" gameplan. Now we didn't veer off at first. We did really good. But so many negative things took place in our lives, especially for my FH. Maybe this isn't the best excuse, but it is the one I got. Life got us. I gained some of the weight back - NOT ALL - YAY, and didn't make it to the gym as much. BUT - we are back. We cleaned a lot things up that needed it and we are ready to try again. We had some serious talks, and some soul searching. While there are a lot of stressors for us right now, we realized when we felt good, they were so much easier to tackle. Feeling good - means eating good for us food. So we are going to tackle at Whole60!! Our main goal, at least a Whole30, our medium goal - a Whole45 - our OMG AWESOME GOAL - Whole60! The point? To get on track, get back to cooking and craving the good foods, a routine, and a strategy for after! This is day 2 of our second round. Everything is different and easier this time. We were able to realize what challeneged us the most the first time and fix that. So here we go - to a new, healthy us!!

• 10 months later...

I am back! BADADADA

First off since March 2015; it all snowballed. I wont get into the thick of it - but my Husband and I suffered a great deal of loss in 2015. Right before our wedding his father passed. He was sick and it all happened within a few short months. We had a funeral and then our wedding! Not what we planned for, but that is life. That said 2015 brought stress and stress and stress. Planning and ourselves went out the window. How can you focus on you when your focus has to be on everyone and thing else?! What I learned with my first Whole30 is that it is ok. It is just ok to fall off track - because you can refocus and start again! Thankfully I only put on a few pounds. However I feel like crap - so I am not sure how much that really matters!

So we are into Day 5 of a Whole45!! Woot. It was supposed to be a Whole60, however we had to cut it short for a trip in March that cannot be postponed. I could potentially continue with Whole30 on the trip, however, it's in Texas and I just feel that I may want/need a Margarita. However, if I am feeling so good after the 45 days, I may just keep it going.

For me this is it. It is do or do not do; in reference to making the necessary changes in my life. I am 29, it is only going to get harder. I want to change my relationship with food and be free from its power over me. I want to go to the gym and not have people stare at me and I overall just want to be healthy. Maybe one day I will want kids - I want to prepare my body, mind and soul for that!

This program is really great at kick starting the body and just a reminder of the benefits of prepping, planning and good food!

Day 4 was rough. I just wasn't hungry and couldn't find anything that I wanted. To be expected. I was also cranky and tired!

Today is much better. I was up at 4 for work, had my meals ready and my coffee in hand!

I am looking forward to the weekend. It is super bowl Sunday and we have a bunch of fun and compliant dishes on the menu!

I am glad to be back on here. Writing about my journey. Admitting my faults and moving forward!!

Here's to 40 (maybe more) days!!

I should say that with W30 round one I did find out that dairy was an enemy. I completely removed it from my diet and have never felt better! My next goal is to greatly reduce my bread/wheat intake! Especially bread. I do not want to give it all the way up, but I want to only have it once in a while as an enjoyment; not something I am reliant on!

Ella

Archived