Now what!?

Matthias

Will be done with 30 days on 10/26/2014 and wondering what to do next.  Only did this to get myself out of some bad eating habits.  Clearly I want to keep out processed sugars but not sold on why grains are so bad.  I like eating veggies and fruits but still think some yogurt and whole grains will be good.  THinking of trying the mediterranean diet long term.  DOn't know who to believe about food anymore.  SO many conflicting opinions and SO MANY STRONG OPINIONS.  "Gluten is the devil's spawn" blah blah blah.

Can somebody tell me in a succint fashion why grains and dairy are so bad when so many other experts say they are good?

• Moderators

Have you read through the information in I Finished My Whole30? It talks about reintroductions, which you should definitely do so that you can see how grains and dairy affect you personally. I know I was surprised to find that, after a lifetime of eating sandwiches, pasta, and cereal, if I have those things now, I notice that I feel foggy-headed and lethargic -- so a diet focused on a lot of grains is really not very appealing to me anymore. You may find that they don't have any noticeable effect on you at all, but the only way to know is to do the controlled reintroductions. 

If you really want to know why the Whole30 rules are what they are, I'd recommend reading It Starts With Food, which explains it in depth and cites the studies that it's based on. But for basic summaries, check out the Grain Manifesto and the Dairy Manifesto

Matthias - I agree with you completely.  In the past, I always thought I knew how to eat, but often just didn't do it.  Now, I honestly don't know which way of eating is healthiest.  I know it is best to eat clean, unprocessed foods, so I am going to continue doing that, but I am not convinced that eliminating all dairy, legumes and grains is the healthiest way to go.  I am on day 29 now, so I need to decide what to do next pretty quickly.

I think I will follow the reintroduction protocol to see if any of the eliminated foods has a negative effect.  Honestly, I've felt fine during the W30 but didn't really suffer any withdrawal symptoms in the beginning and haven't noticed that I've felt much better at this point...after that, still undecided.

I think It Starts With Food does a good job of explaining why the eliminated foods are less healthy than others and there are a number of other resources that do so as well.  Of course, you can also find a lot of resources that say the healthiest things you can eat are legumes, dairy and whole grains.  I think step one is finding out whether you have a sensitivity to any of the eliminated items and, if not, making a decision as to whether and how much of them you are going to eat...

• 1 month later...

I think after my 2x Whole30's you kind of know what foods are kind to your body or not. I ate a homemade pizza last month and I have terrible cramps. If you feel bloated after a certain meal then it's not working for your body. I just see pictures of me and my husband before and then now and we are just less puffy everywhere. We look at our family members and they seem so puffy as they eat everything with no restrictions. But then they complain of aches and pains.

Just keep remembering you are an individual and unique.

Archived