Successful Business Travel

sspayne

I'm almost home from a one-week trip for work. I travel at least 1x/month for my job, so I knew when I did my second Whole30 I'd have to conquer this. And boy was I nervous. I did the following things and it worked really well:

• Froze 3 servings vegetable and beef stew in heavy duty plastic bags and put it in my checked luggage. Microwaved throughout the week.
  • Packed a can of black olives, Lara bars for emergencies (never used them), cashews, and brought a meal on the plane for the first trip out. 
  • Went to Whole Foods ASAP, got guac, veggies, hard-boiled eggs (OMG THEY WERE GROSS), a few berries, some compliant Indian food, and a beet salad.
  • Ate out once at Chipotle, got a veggie omelette once at the hotel after confirming ingredients. 
  • Craved wine like mad, said no.

It was a tough week without the usually-delicious meals I cook myself, but it was worth it. 

Now I'm on day 16 :) 

I just finished a similar trip and I have to say that the best part about it was coming home and realizing how much easier I have it when I'm home. It really helped me appreciate how much easier this is when I have a house full of compliant food and tons of local resources.

I also learned how well I can handle hunger and how much I appreciate that under normal Whole30 conditions, I don't have any!

This is inspiring me!  I travel quite a bit for work and I always find it a struggle to try to stick to my Whole30.  There are some places where it's really difficult because they are in somewhat isolated towns (no Whole Foods - eek!).  I'm curious - what did you bring to eat on the plane?  Just wondering what you were able to get through security!

On the plane I brought a glass container with chicken, butternut squash casserole (from Well Fed) and green beans. No problems with security, at least from my airport... I didn't bring guac, stew, soup, or anything at all liquid-y because I figured I could have trouble with that. I also packed sugar snap peas, macadamia nuts, beef jerky from Primal Pacs (they take forever to ship unfortunately, so plan ahead), and black olives in a plastic bag. It took a ton of planning but it was a great accomplishment. I think on my next trip in 3 weeks, post-whole 30, I'll try again :) 

For breakfast I just gave up on having it be a breakfast-y meal and instead embraced the "meal 1" idea. I'd have salads and store-bought chicken and things like that and just ate what I could find. My favorite easy meal on the go is Primal Pacs beef jerky, black olives, and sugar snap peas. The beef jerky requires thinking way ahead but the rest is easy to find in any store. 

What kind of facilities do you have when travelling? Scotch Eggs are portable. Mayo is good if you have a fridge.

Domestic flights should be fairly easy for food (I'd avoid liquids and anything with a powder), but beware crossing into countries like Australia with strict quarantine :)

This is huge for me! I travel 3 days out of every week for work, as well as frequently order out when I am in my office when I have to work later than expected.  Below are a few tips I have picked up, I'm now on my second whole 30:

1. The salad bar is your friend.
  2. Chipotle is my life, but seriously I am so grateful for a restaurant that gives you the ingredients for every item offered.
  3. Research the area you are traveling ahead of time.  I am fortunate that I travel to the same place every week, but I know this is rare.  See if any grocery stores are near by, or check yelp for healthy restaurant options
  4. If you're staying at a hotel, ask the front desk about healthy options in the area
  5. I always keep an "emergency stash" with me that consists of fruit, larabars, and nuts.
  6. Keep the fridge stocked for when you get home.  I learned this the hard way from returning home from a business trip, starving with nothing to eat.  Huge mistake.

Have fun and be creative!  I found that there is a great sweet potato bar at my client's cafeteria, which was a nice find.  I would love to hear others' experience with the Whole30 while traveling :)

• 1 month later...

My employer pays for my travel meals so I hate to pack my own. I think that I will try to find a Whole Foods and see what I can find. I will be interested to see what the accounting department has to say about my grocery receipts in place of restaurant receipts. 

Thanks for all your travel tips.  

I don't have to travel for work often but when I do I find it quite difficult, especially for Meal 1.  I cannot eat eggs so have to find other quick protein options.  I do better eating out at restaurants because I research them first. I too hit the grocery store first and make sure that I am staying in a room that at least has a mini fridge. I bring canned tuna and chicken, nuts, and compliant beef sticks. I purchase fruit, baby carrots, celery and a case of water. I hate the canned tuna and chicken because it is way to dry. 

I have brought lots thru secutity when I travel (which is a lot). You can take and Fruit/veggie packaged or still in it's skin. Last trip I took 2 avacadoes, lemns, apples (alll whole) beef jerky (grass fed) nuts, lara bars, and some packaged cooked chicken. All were carry on and had no problem going thru security. I have also brought cooked, wrapped breakfast tacos from my son's favorite taco stand when I went to vist him last summer. Just put a sealed coldpack in my little cooler bag to make sure everything kept till my destination.

Another good one is to put your home made salad dressing in glass jars that are less than 3.4 oz. It helps me to have a compliant meal both on the plan and when I arrive after a day of travel.

I travel 2 weeks a month and I am lucky to have a fridge in my hotel room. I just stopped at the Trader Joe's down the street and picked up:

- Prosciutto

- Applegate deli meat

- Red and Yellow pepper

- Mini Carrots

- Guac

- Melon

- Apples

- Mixed nuts and no sugar added dried fruit

I had some yummy prosciutto wrapped melon and carrot/guac for dinner. I plan on having peppers wrapped in deli meat for lunch tomorrow. I also ordered an omelet with veggies (no butter, no cheese) from the diner in the airport this morning. Salad bars are a must with some olive oil and lemon juice. I was really worried about traveling during this but it wasn't that hard to figure out. 

I am leaving for a 5 day trip and I am really nervous as it will be my first time traveling doing the whole 30. have a long day of travel so I am not sure frozen bags will hold up long enough. I plan on packing almonds, cashews, lara bars. However, once I get there I will not have the option of going to a whole foods since we are staying at resort the whole time. Almost every meal is prepared and served by the resort. Any tips or advice for getting through this? 

Almost every meal is prepared and served by the resort. Any tips or advice for getting through this? 

You may be able to request special meals from the resort. Find the catering manager when you get there, explain how you'd like to eat and see whether they can accommodate you.

• 2 weeks later...

I have brought lots thru secutity when I travel (which is a lot). You can take and Fruit/veggie packaged or still in it's skin. Last trip I took 2 avacadoes, lemns, apples (alll whole) beef jerky (grass fed) nuts, lara bars, and some packaged cooked chicken. All were carry on and had no problem going thru security. I have also brought cooked, wrapped breakfast tacos from my son's favorite taco stand when I went to vist him last summer. Just put a sealed coldpack in my little cooler bag to make sure everything kept till my destination.

Another good one is to put your home made salad dressing in glass jars that are less than 3.4 oz. It helps me to have a compliant meal both on the plan and when I arrive after a day of travel.

Fergie,  

What type of coldpack did you use?  Were you able to get it past security?  I am traveling next week, and would really like to bring some of my own stuff.

Thanks!

Over the summer I was able to get egg salad (I used Avocado and olive oil instead of mayo) past security.  I had it in a sour cream container (so I could just ditch the container when I was done) and it did go off, the TSA agent questioned me and told me I can't bring sour cream on a plane (lol) and I opened it and showed him it was egg salad he let me go with it.  It was Philly though and some other airports are stricter. 

I've also gotten guac (frozen) past security.  I know it was in a small container but I can't remember if I had it in with my liquids. 

Hi Everyone:

1st Whole 30; Day 21 here and all has been 'great'...am travelling next week and found the tips here quite useful: thanks to all those that have posted...

I have noted a few things over the past few weeks (because my job involves alot of meals out at various hotels) and I wanted to share...I tend to be a perfectionist: so apologies (in advance) to anyone who thinks this is OTT...

1. I always take the server aside and have a chat: i start by saying: 'Can you help me?' (to which they always answer: yes, ofcourse)...i then say "I have a number food intolerances which affect my health negatively" (a bit of a stretch: but gets their attention)...i then say: could you ask the kitchen to pls prepare my food 'dry' with no sauces, no dairy, no butter, no x y z)...and THEN i say , very sweetly, "do you want to write it down? because I know i'm a bit of a nuisance but this would really save me from a reaction and trip to the hospital' and then I profusely thank them for 'helping' me...

i have found that the use of these exact words seems to make my food choices taken more seriously, even in hoity toity places that usually dont like to change menu dishes. I know some may disagree and object: but this works for me and has made me get great attention to details from multiple restuarants (even had the staff come back and ask: is oregano ok, is x ok').

2. Omellettes at hotels: dont be fooled: sometimes they use boxed fake eggs: make sure you always ask for cracked 'real' eggs...if you ever go to the breakfast buffet: u'll sometimes see them have a big 'bowl' of eggs...often these are from a carton: not cracked and whipped (as I had thought)

3. Take your stuff on the plane/ hotel in disposable tupperware (I sometimes keep the ones that I get leftover wrapped in for this purpose)...that way you can discard as you go through your meals and dont have all these empty dishes to wash/ clean/ sort

4. Nuts, nuts, nuts...so many times, when I have been caught up late here ir there (or the munchy monster comes to visit): i pull out some nuts or sunflower seeds...i know its not the best choice; but it kills my hunger and prevents me to caving in.. and they are easy to travel with/ keep in purse/ desk

5. Using the words allergic or intolerant are taken more seriously by staff than 'im on a diet'...i have seen a tremendous shift in attitudes when I use those initial words.

6. ITS OK: if you fall of track for a meal or a trip: be kind to yourself, forgive yourself and think about what you can do better next time...

7. crudites: hold up very well and can be portioned out in mini sandwich bags or small tupper wares

8. if things get desperate: you can pack a hard cooler, with icepacks, whatever food you want inside (I would say stay away from uncooked); shrink wrap it atthe airport and check it in...I have travelled 8 hours with expressed breast milk that stayed 'cool'; and no issues at airport because I was checking it in.

Hope these tips help and happy new year to all my fellow whole 30'ers!

• 5 months later...

I've mentioned in other threads about how when I can drive myself for work travel, I take my George Foreman grill with me. I usually just use it for burgers or steaks, but last week I had a crazy thought: what about eggs??

I flipped the grill upside-down and the cooking surface is level!!

8oHyYyi.jpg

:D  :D

Make it work, folks!

Archived