Hitting the re-set button even though my food choices were "technically compliant."

LivelyLady

Yesterday was One Of Those Days. It started out fine but then took a bad turn. I had my breakfast at 8 but found myself hungry earlier than usual. I was also extremely stressed and had fought off some bad cravings the day before. I opted to eat my lunch earlier than planned but then when I was at the store running errands later I gave in to the Lara Bars. And some cashews. Several Lara Bars, mind you.

I consciously knew I was feeding both the sugar demon AND the “I'm stressed so I want to eat†demon and I did it anyway. At first I tried to justify it that the foods I was choosing were “technically compliantâ€, but I knew that was total crap. I know the food itself, in this context, matters less than the behaviors behind the choice.

So, I pressed the re-set button. I feel like that alone is progress, because previously if I were doing something like this I'd convince myself that since my actual food choices were compliant, it was ok. But we all know it's not.

I have been keeping a food log so I went back to it to reference what had gone well on days that I stuck to my plan without mad cravings and mood issues. It seems like I've put too much focus on protein at breakfast and not enough on fat. I've not been “low fat†by any means, but it looks like the days where I felt the most satisfied, my breakfast was a little higher in fat and a little lower in protein than it was yesterday. So, that's good data I can use going forward.

Sigh. So, here's Day 1 again. But I feel good about making the choice to hit re-set. Not doing so wouldn't matter to anybody but me

Great job keeping yourself honest. The toughest part of change is realizing and admitting when you can do better. I'm on my Whole30 for similar reasons... I was staying technically paleo but mindlessly eating to satisfy cravings rather than truly paying attention to my body's needs. Keep looking forward!! :)

I put away wayyy more pecans than was necessary today. I'm not going to reset but am not thrilled with myself all the same. Lesson learned: obviously need bigger lunches if knocking back an entire snack bag of nuts is where a light lunch gets me.

Thanks you guys. :) Yeah, if you ate extra out of true hunger then it sounds like bigger lunches would be good. If it was stress or boredome or whatever, that's a whole different issue, eh? :)

What I'm most proud of in this decision to re-set has to do with the fact that this bad eating day happened on a Wednesday but I didn't use that as an excuse to blow off the rest of the week and "start over on Monday." That's what I'd typically do and of course that is the dumbest idea ever. That was a victory for me though.

And HAD I done that, yesterday would have been a disaster. There was an Earth Day celebration at one of our local health food stores and I had a table set up for the hair product company I own, giving out samples, answering questions, etc. Well, all the local food vendors were TOO, including the creamery with their ice cream, the lovely chocolate bar lady, and the new gluten free bakery with the chocolate mousse pies and gluten free cookies. I mean COME ON. I did make of point of setting up my table AWAY from the chocolate lady so I didn't have to see her all day with all her delicious candy. :)

Luckily the meat department was making sliders from their local grass fed beef and my butcher friend brought me some. :) He knows the long list of things I can't eat so I trusted when he assured me there was no BBQ sauce or something in it.

It was a very long, VERY tiring day because I never once sat down, and just talked and talked and laughed and talked with customers all day, which takes a lot of energy. I was dead tired and starving at the end, and still had to do my grocery shopping. For about 30 seconds the evil bitch in my head was like, "You worked hard today. You totally deserve to just get that pint of gelato and maybe a dark chocolate bar and indulge." Then the SMART person in my head literally replied, "WTF? You DESERVE to feel like CRAP for the next two days from binging on sugar?" When I put it that way, it made no sense so I proceeded to get my 3 huge bunches of chard and carry on.

I'm so very glad the smart person in my head won that battle. :)

Go smart person! Getting that realization deep down that if I eat that, I will feel crappy for the next two days, is huge! I'm just starting to be able to understand that at a deeper level than just my brain... and it feels really good!

Awesome!

Archived