Seaweed snacks with canola oil

Ann

I know SeaSnax are a better option since they are made with olive oil, but I'm obsessed at the moment with Annie Chen's wasabi flavor seaweed snacks. Bummer that they make them with canola oil. :angry: Post30, how bad is it for me to enjoy these? I realize this could lead to the slippery slope -- if I allow canola oil in this product, what will be next ... a little bit of carrageenan in my lunchmeat, some sugar in my canned tomatoes, a little piece of buttered bread at a restaurant ..... but I'm curious health-wise, how bad is just a bit of canola oil with my seaweed?

I hate to have to break it to you, but canola oil is pretty awful stuff. These oils didn't exist before the 20th century because it takes quite a bit of processing to make it, including bleaching out color and any taste from the natural oil with chemicals and adding flavoring back in. It was created when some brilliant idiot decided animal and natural fats were killing us, around the same time heart disease and obesity started to rise as well. Coincidence? We think not! Its name means "Canadian Oil, Low Acid" which has something to do with where and how it was created and because calling it what it really is, chemically processed rapeseed oil just doesn't sound as nice :)

Okay then, that's the info I was looking for -- it's bad enough that I will definitely not buy them again. But they are too good to toss, so I"m going to finish the package (which is more than half gone anyway) :P I see that SeaSnax also makes a wasabi flavor -- my Whole Foods only carries original and chipotle, but I can order the wasabi online. Thanks, Johnny.

(oh, by the way, I made your sweet potato fritters this morning for the first time, thank you! omg, yum!).

• Moderators

The question of how much canola oil is okay reminds me of something "they" were saying when I was a child/teenager about cigarettes - Every cigarette you smoke cancels 4 minutes of your life. How much younger do you want to die? Now, having become well educated in science, statistics, and the kinds of stuff people say, I know the 4-minute thing is not true. But it makes a good point. The harm of each bite of bad stuff is very small, but I'd just as soon not go there.

Archived