couple questions

Tessina

I have been using a George Forman grill to cook my patties, should I instead be frying it in olive oil? I'm working ot make my body burn fat, but I've been stupidly draining off the fat I am supposed to be eating haven't I?

Also.. soup.. 

due to budget constraints I dropped to 1lb of Ground beef in my soup, should I add olive oil to my soups?  And currently consists of GB, half a green cabbage (red cabbage too expensive >.<), 4 to 5 small/med russet potatoes diced, 1 can of petite diced tomatoes - no salt added, and spices.  While it filled up my crockpot I feel something is missing that it isn't balanced.  Am I just over thinking things?

• Moderators

You don't need to eat the grease from a burger. The burger itself is good. We do not recommend frying in olive oil as it does not stand up to heat as well as ghee or coconut oil.

Your soup may be light on protein, but you cannot make up for that with olive oil. I would not add olive oil because it might spoil the taste of the soup if you add much. 

That is good to know, thank you and I will continue to George Forman the patties.  

I guess I need to invest in coconut oil as I been using olive oil exclusively for making omelettes and simmering frozen veggies as I'd always used butter before.  

I was doing 2 lbs of ground beef but was trying to stretch my dollar so to speak.  I guess I will have to go back to using 2 lbs or would 1 1/2 lb's give enough protein?

• Moderators

I was doing 2 lbs of ground beef but was trying to stretch my dollar so to speak.  I guess I will have to go back to using 2 lbs or would 1 1/2 lb's give enough protein?

I try to consume 1/4 pound to 1/3 pound of protein in every meal, but that is based upon me weighing 190 pounds and being somewhat active. You might need less than me.

When I make a pot of soup, I would probably need to add 3 or 4 pounds of ground beef to get enough protein in a meal, but that is because I make big pots of soup. :)

If you would like your soup to be more exciting.  always add at least one whole onion, large, at least 2 cups of celery, 1 bay leaf, (if you sauté them first in a little coconut oil, (so they turn brownish) your soup will be richer. I also add at least 2 cups of chopped zucchini, carrots and anything else I can find.  Your soup will be full and satisfying. 

I have a large 7 qt crock pot and it amazes me how fast I can eat all the soup in it :wacko:  I love my soup I'm just trying to make sure it is really healthy and within budget :unsure: While a hamburger patty, 4 eggs with coconut milk and veggies are becoming my breakfast of choice.  Lunch and dinner have been having issues.. heck for over half of this month do to an unplanned for vet bill I've only been eating two meals a day and know that means a restart.. again.. 

And with 1 lb of meat the soup doesn't taste right.  I will go back to 2lb's or maybe 2.5 lbs  

I have some school money coming in so I will have to buy washable cheese cloth and a strainer (only have a colander at the moment holes way to big) and try to make clarified butter, and that recipe is a lot easier then how it was explained to me originally.   Using that to hopefully make an omelette that isn't scorched on the bottom >.< ( I've had a few small issues with Olive oil.)  

I have to be careful with onions but I do want to add more variety to my soups 

for over half of this month do to an unplanned for vet bill I've only been eating two meals a day and know that means a restart.. again.. 

Having two meals a day does NOT require a restart.  Three meals a day is a recommendation for best results, but it's not a rule.

On the budgeting front, you may find this article helpful: http://whole9life.com/2011/01/paleo-poor-your-guide-to-the-grocery-store/

... and this one inspiring (woman who completed a Whole30 on a social security budget): http://whole9life.com/2013/02/whole30-success-story-gerry-c/

Archived