at a loss for birth control

I had a mirena fitted end of august, had it removed this past Wednesday as had unbearable pain. Been on yasmin since Monday and am a shadow of myself, getting angry and upset every two seconds. Dont know where to go from here for contraception :(

I know for me, the copper coil was my saviour! After trying every single type of pill (honestly - the doctor got a book out and went through a list!), including the injection, and having sever side effects from massive weight gain to haemorrhages, it was clear that my body didn't respond well to additional hormones.  I had the copper coil fitted and everything slowly calmed down.  It probably took about a year for my body to recover (from the injection especially), but since then I have had 'normal' periods etc.  I had the coil in for a few years before removing it to get pregnant.  Personally, I think it's a brilliant way to prevent pregnancy without being pumped with hormones if you don't want to use condoms etc.

Try this chart: http://whole9life.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Whole9-non-hormonal-birth-control-options.pdf

I would also caution: although some people have great experiences with the copper IUD, some bodies do not respond well to the extra copper, and others don't respond well to having a foreign object implanted in the uterus (causing cramping, heavy periods, inflammation, etc). See what works for you, but don't be shocked if it is different than what worked for someone else. good luck!

I remember going through about 10 different BC pills before finding one I could tolerate. I never tried an IUD, so I can't give advice on that. I would have been nervous about an IUD because it was a reaction to an IUD that triggered an autoimmune response that developed into full blown lupus in my mother. Her situation was unique and involved an IUD that was unknowingly left in for 15 years, but still...

Just keep trying until you find what's going to work for you. I'm so relieved I had a hysterectomy and no longer have to worry about that.

Nuvaring is the only hormonal option that made me the least crazy. However, after switching to Mirena and having a similar experience as you, I've since gone hormone free. We rely on a barrier method near ovulation, and nothing other times. It's not for everyone, but look into the fertility awareness method if interested in learning more.

Archived