Hydration (and salt)

DianeWh

I know we don't need a LOT of salt, but we need some. And I understand the recommended daily intakes etc. and the fact that by cutting out all processed foods we're cutting out a lot of salt by default. My question I guess is in two parts: (1) how does eating too little salt affect hydration levels and (2) I generally add salt to my meat either before or after cooking, but I don't often add it to veg. I've been drinking 2.5-3L of water a day (not only because I think I 'have' to but also because I have quit diet coke and I notice my thirst more) but when I had my check up at the gym I was still showing up as under-hydrated. Even allowing for a pretty big margin of error, it's still significant. So what the heck am I doing wrong???

• Moderators

I can't imagine cooking meat or veggies without adding salt generously. I am not knowledgeable regarding the way salt might help you retain water (and stay hydrated), but I think you need to salt your food more while cooking it. Honestly, unless you have a doctor diagnosed sensitivity to salt and have been warned to keep your salt use minimal, you should not have any problems eating more salt. And your food will taste better!

Oh I agree - I don't avoid salt from any moral conviction! I'm reasonably liberal with it on meat, but I eat mostly raw veg and don't find the need to add anything to make them delicious. I suppose I could make my own electrolyte drink and see if it changes anything...

Archived