Let's do this! DMC's first Whole30

DMC2014

Day 11- 11/3

Breakfast- Scrambled eggs, potatoes and sausage

Lunch- Chicken salad with homemade mayo, shredded carrots and broccoli on bed of lettuce with a dollop of homemade guacamole. 

Snack- 'That's It' bar with apple and banana (Mid-day emergency follow up from yesterdays family issue)

Dinner- Homemade meatballs and homemade marinara sauce served with spaghetti squash for me, real pasta for the rest of the fam. Strawberries. 

Today was easy in comparison to yesterday but I really wish that Tiger Blood would show up already. I'm still exhausted and I actually took a nap for the first time since I had my daughter 3 years ago! 

You took a nap!  I wonder if that's a good sign like a body feeling a bit less stressed and so it has the ability to rest and regroup.  Heh - I don't know if I'm just making stuff up, but it sounds good!! :)

Congrats on making it through the family emergency day.  During Whole30's I find I really really like having a homebody routine.  It's tough to do a Whole30 and super tough dealing with stuff like not being home and other people's tasty food sitting around.  

You're doing great.  The better energy will happen.

Day 12- 11/4

Breakfast- Scrambled eggs, potatoes, green beans and sausage

Lunch- Pumpkin soup, green beans, banana

Dinner- Shrimp marinated with lemon, evoo, thyme garlic and red pepper flakes. Pan grilled in ghee and served over salad with pan drippings as dressing. 

Energy level is still really low but my monthly cycled showed up today so that explains it. I feel bloated again, foggy and just want to crawl into bed. This is typical for me once a month so I'm hoping that in the next 2 or 3 days that will lift and I will feel great. 

* I have realized at this point that I am never hungry. I keep myself fed with good food and I may crave something here or there but for the most part, I'm not hungry at all and I have been able to realize the difference between a craving and true hunger. 

Day 13- 11/5

Breakfast- 3 hardboiled eggs, banana 

Lunch- Leftover meatballs and spaghetti squash

Dinner- 2 meatballs, carrots

I'm still very tired today and I don't have much of an appetite. Tonight's update is short and to the point. I'm going to bed. Good night! 

Day 14- 11/6

Breakfast- 2 hardboiled eggs, sweet potatoes

Lunch- salad with tomatoes, avocado, dates, grilled chicken, balsamic and EVOO

Dinner-  Cracklin' Chicken and Roasted garlic Autumn mash (both from nomnompaleo)

Still dragging a bit today but I noticed that my skin looks AMAZING which is very exciting!! I am off work for the next 5 days and will be heading to Lake Tahoe this weekend to celebrate my birthday and some much needed R&R. I will be taking some pre-made foods but will need to eat out quite a bit too. I seem to be able to find meals that can be easily altered at restaurants and so far they have all been very accommodating with my requests. There will be lots of temptations with alcohol, food and desserts this weekend but as I crest over the halfway point, I will refrain!!! 

Day 15- 11/7

I made it through dinner out!

Breakfast- Banana when I first woke up.

Lunch- Sweet potatoes, sausage and eggs

Dinner (Restaurant)- Salad with red onion, tomato, balsamic and evoo. Filet Mignon, steamed broccoli and asparagus with lemon and salt & pepper.

Upon check-in at our hotel they serve freshly baked, warm cookies. They smelled AMAZING! My husband immediately grabbed a chocolate chip cookie and I was acutely aware of the melty chocolate glistening inside the cookie after his first bite.

Dinner was rough. I looked through online menus to prepare but when it came down to choosing the place there were 4 people in the decision. Everything at the restaurant had cheese, butter, sauces, pasta, risotto but the server was accommodating to what I asked. The dish was very plain but I was able to spice it up a bit and the filet was cooking perfectly so that helped.

On to day 16!

Day 16- 11/8

I'm extremely frustrated about 2 separate restaurant incidents today. I have been trying really hard to stay on track while in Lake Tahoe for the weekend but I ran into 2 issues today.  I don't know if its enough to throw off all of the hard work that I've done up to this point but I'm not happy about it. 

Breakfast (food brought from home)- sausage, sweet potatoes, strawberries

Lunch (Restaurant issue #1)- steak salad with red onion, tomato and balsamic "vinaigrette" 

Dinner (Restaurant issue #2)- Lobster tail, halibut, steamed broccoli, grilled asparagus

Issue #1- I asked the server the ingredients of the balsamic vinaigrette and she said "olive oil, balsamic and spices". I am extremely tired or lemon/evoo and balsamic/evoo on my salads so I went with the order. When I got my salad I noticed that the dressing looked "creamy" so I asked her again what was in the dressing and she said the same thing. When I pointed out that it was creamy and asked her to clarify, she said "oh, do you have an allergy?" I said "yes, I need to know what's in the dressing". She went back to the kitchen and came back to the table and said that it was egg. At that point I was more concerned with dairy/cheese and she confirmed that there was none in it. I ate the steak that was on the salad and about half of the lettuce. The salad was $23. 

Issue #2- At dinner I ordered a Lobster tail and confirmed (as was written on the menu) that it was served with clarified butter. not regular butter. When they brought out the very small, $60 Lobster tail, I could see they had just topped it off with melting, regular, butter. I tried to wipe off the excess butter and dipped the pieces in my clarified butter but I don't know how much of the real butter I ate. At $60 this was not a dish that I was going to send back. I ended up swapping some of my lobster with a friend and ate her steamed halibut. 

Is this enough that I need to start from Day 1??

Day 17- 11/9

Last day in beautiful Lake Tahoe!! 

Breakfast (Restaurant)- 2 poached eggs, spinach, tomato, turkey breast. Black coffee. 

Lunch (on the road)- Emergency "That's It" bar with Apple and blueberry, box of raisins. 

Dinner (HOME!)- Grilled pork chop, asparagus, sliced pear

Something is off with my stomach tonight. I don't know if it's the meals that I ate yesterday or if it's something else. I feel bloated and my stomach is bubbling for the first time in almost 2 weeks. I'm going to keep on going and hope that when I wake up tomorrow (on my birthday!) that things have cleared up. 

Day 18- 11/10 (Happy Birthday to me!) 

Breakfast- 2 fried eggs in ghee, sausage, sweet potatoes. 

Lunch- Salad with eggs, avocado and Dreamy Avocado dressing (It Starts With Food) 

Dinner- large chicken thigh, sautéed kale, sautéed mushrooms, pear

Today was great! It's so good to be home and have compliant foods at my fingertips without stressing about when and what I'm going to eat. Not to mention I kicked off the day with a 90 minute massage followed by a 60 minute facial!! 

Day 19- 11/11

This could have possibly been the hardest day so far... is that weird?

Breakfast- 3 egg omelette with mushrooms, onions, spinach and tomatoes

Lunch (late)- Salad with macadamia nut crusted chicken breast and Dreamy Avocado dressing. Banana.

Dinner (early)- Chicken breast and apple banana coconut "pudding" 

I was in a funk today. Although I was off from work,  I woke up at 5am when my husband was getting ready for work and never fell back to sleep. I ran errands all morning and got home around 1pm to put my daughter down for her nap and I ate lunch. The rest of the day was a rough one. Really strong sugar cravings to the point of almost unbearable. I ate a banana hoping to ease some of them off (I know, I know- don't feed the dragon...) but it didn't help. I have been able to resist all temptation up to this point (Halloween candy, my birthday weekend away, alcohol...) but today I felt ravenous for crappy, sugary food. I refrained from the crap but did make the "pudding" as a side dish to my chicken tonight. I don't know what effects this will have on the mental portion of the program but when I found my self opening the chocolate covered acai berries in the pantry just to sniff them, I knew I was in trouble if I didn't do something. 

Is this normal this far into the plan?? I thought I was supposed to be on the downhill slope??

Day 20- 11/12

Breakfast- 3 hardboiled eggs

Lunch- Chicken breast, green beans, fresh fruit cup

Dinner- Salmon, broccoli, 3 dates

The sugar dragon is hanging around again and I can feel the effects on my body. I'm cranky, tired and CRAVING sugar. I have satisfied the craving with compliant food (Sex with my pants on, I know) but I'm done. I will NOT be caving in anymore. I'm bored with my meals and need to get creative. The Dreamy Avocado dressing saved me with salads ( I was so over balsamic/evoo/lemon!) so I need to dig deeper and pull out my bag of tricks. I am generally a pretty creative cook, pulling things out of the fridge or pantry and making whatever comes to mind for dinner, so I need to do the same thing with compliant foods. 

Day 21- 11/13

Breakfast- 3 hardboiled eggs

Lunch- Chicken breast, salad, Dreamy Avocado dressing, green beans

Dinner- Shrimp salad with lemon and evoo drizzle

Today was easier than the last two. Still had a few minor cravings but I held off and they passed. I looked up some new recipes tonight and planned my menu for the next week. I will only need to eat out one day between now and the end of the Whole30 so that will be nice. Chances are I will continue beyond the 30 days at this point. We'll see if that's still the case in another week! 

Archived