Dijon mustard

JocI

I have found some whole 30 recipes that include Dijon mustard. I have yet to find one that doesn't contain sugar. Suggestions? I do not live near a whole foods and my local grocery has 2 aisles of organics. Thanks.

Thanks Chris....I know ingredients are more important so to speak however I still look at values.  Habit!!!  And I still track my food.  I know I don't have to but I know that tracking works for me....no matter what I am eating.  Again....habit!  I did end up making a nice marinade for my chicken since I couldn't use my go to dressing.  

And I still track my food.  I know I don't have to but I know that tracking works for me....

Jocl- Tracking is not just "not required" it is actually strongly discouraged on the whole30. Here's why: the body is actually much more complex than a math equation of calories in/calories out or a specific number of each macro per day. None of those numbers will ever tell the whole story, but your body will tell you what it needs if you manage to listen. Whole30 helps people to really listen and respond to the signals their body is giving them. Every time you track and count and look at these values, you end up second-guessing those signals. Think about it: if tracking really worked for you, why would you be looking for another plan? Why not try the whole30 full stop/no tracking and see how you do?

Thank you Shannon. 

I commented on this thread after I read the threads you mention. They lead me to think Sulphur Dioxide is not okay, but here it sounds like it is. It's the first item that I've come across that seems to not have a definitive answer. Not good for you, but not technically not noncompliant. 

CaitlinI I'd go with these two answers from the threads mention.  Sadly your Maille Dijon is not compliant, but as Robin stated It doesn't warrant a restart, :)

Take a pass on the vinegars with sulphur dioxide. The ones with only "naturally occurring sulphites" are okay and you can find them.

Sulphur dioxide is technically out due to the sulfites thing. However, I wouldn't stress too much about it. If you want to go an extra 9 days, or feel like you have a reaction to the coconut, then of course do. But it doesn't warrant an immediate restart  :)

• 1 year later...
  • Moderators

Is sodium hydrogen sulphite the same as sodium dioxide?  Does it make my dijon mustard non-compliant?  I was so focused on finding one without white wine and sugar, I didn't notice the preservative was sodium hydrogen sulphite.

Sulfites/sulphites are one of the big no-no's mentioned in the rules -- anything that ends in those words is out. Sorry.

I have found some whole 30 recipes that include Dijon mustard. I have yet to find one that doesn't contain sugar. Suggestions? I do not live near a whole foods and my local grocery has 2 aisles of organics. Thanks.

I use Annie's Organic Dijon Mustard. Ingredients: distilled white vinegar, water, mustard seed, sea salt, and clove.

• Moderators

This is fine as long as it doesn't have any non compliant additives.

If you google whole30 plus your topic, you'll find many threads for almost anything you can think of..

I've started you off here:

https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=distilled%20vinegar%20whole30

Archived