More Changes to Come

Tina Marie

Hello ladies.  Your last statement is so true Chrissie but I am happy to say that this year was a joyous Christmas. I know many times we have to rely on being content which is better then discontent. My dinner turned out good on Christmas eve and everybody had a good time.

Christmas day we were invited over to my ex son inlaw's home for dinner for time with that side of my grand children's family.

The day after was dinner at my sons and his family's home for Christmas with them.  They didn't come here Christmas eve because they have a tradition with her family. Needless to say I was off program but do not have any cravings so am just anxious to start.

I hope you all had joyous Christmases also.  That being said thank god it is over.

Well I am excited about starting my second 30 and am ready to start planning shopping and prepping from now until Thursday.

As I have said a long time ago my biggest challenges is my coffee and keeping prepared.

Hope your trip was all you expected it to be Lori.  I am sure you were busy and probably did not have service on your phone most of the time to follow anything on here.  We didn't have time to input much anyways.

Chrissie it doesn't sound like you get much sleep.  How do you do it?  When I worked 14 hour days it was overtime 2 sometimes 3 nights a week the first several years I worked there.  I worked in the booking department where every inmate comes through and we had to interview them,make sure there paperwork was correct and in order and tell them their charges. (that was always fun.)  NOT  I always felt the officers should have to tell them their charges.

Anyway at that time it just seemed like I worked and slept and pretty much nothing else. (those years I worked graveyard)  While it was always busy and very interesting to see  some of the stuff that went on it was stressful and eventually I transferred out to the classification dept.  There was no stress and I had my own desk no phones and no Interaction with inmates other then passing them in the hallways because we were still down in the bowels of the detention center and it was days. Eventually it turned into 4 tens a week. Overtime just if I wanted it.

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello all, so glad to touch base again, and I have to say I am looking forward to starting anew with a whole 30 January one.  I have had treats, though I feel like I have not went too overboard.  But to be honest, my arthritis is at a big roar and I look forward to that feeling better back on program. 

We had a fabulous time on the cruise, though it was very busy.  We saw shows, ate fabulous food, swam with dolphins and spent a little time on the beach.  I did not have any cell service while we were at sea, and actually it was nice to unplug for a few days and just be together.  I tried to post from the airport, but got an error message.  When we got back from our trip my adult children and their families were at the house to start our  family festivities.  I had forgotten how busy a 14 month old is.  Little fingers everywhere and darting from one place to the next at the speed of light.  I did have a surprise gift, my son and family are planning to move back to Ohio from Colorado in the summer of 2015.  That will mean getting to see the grandchildren more than twice a year!  Great news.  With all the travel and festivities my house is a wreck, and I haven't even unpacked my suitcases yet.  That is so not like me.  But alas as soon as the company departed I headed into my 5 day work stretch.  Today I have a little downtime and thought I would say hello and wish you all happiness.  I've missed you all!

Though my vacation was busy and the family time was hectic, I feel very blessed and happy this holiday season.  Somehow I feel I am right where I need to be right now, my focus is on myself and becoming everything I can be.  I have had some trials this year but I feel I am coming through them stronger than ever.  You my friends are a part of that goodness.  May you all have a great New Year!

donna - I really enjoy the breakfast meatballs,  from www.theclothesmakethegirl.com  bacon/maple syrup breakfast meatballs.  I just leave out the bacon and maple syrup.   I also like the bora bora meatballs  (from well fed - I think)    in well fed 2 - there are a ton of options for meatballs.  and I hear that using the baking soda and cream of tartar help to tenderize the meatballs if you are not using pork.

I also ended up liking the Czech meatballs - after they sat a day - the taste mellowed a bit.

I also recommend the salmon patties - I don't know if I said anything but using the butternut squash instead of sw potatoes was fine.  The other thing is the recipe calls for almond flour - which we can't do on our W30... I omitted it this last time and decreased the egg down to 1 and it was just fine w/o the flour

I too must check out the freezer.. I know I have chicken parts, and frozen veggies. and Ton of broth.   I am going to make the Lebanese sw potato soup - maybe tomorrow... Maybe.

Lori  -  LOVE The pic of the two of you !!  beautiful !!

• Moderators

I also recommend the salmon patties - I don't know if I said anything but using the butternut squash instead of sw potatoes was fine.  The other thing is the recipe calls for almond flour - which we can't do on our W30... I omitted it this last time and decreased the egg down to 1 and it was just fine w/o the flour

You can actually have the almond flour in those.  You can't use almond flour to make pancakes or muffins or bread or other baked goods, but in a recipe like salmon patties or meatballs or even breaded baked chicken, it's fine.  (Obviously, if I've missed something and you personally are choosing to leave out nuts during Whole30, just ignore this and carry on.)

Here's the quote from the Can I Have list:

Almond Flour: Yes

Yes, you can have almond flour, coconut flour, tapioca flour, and other non-grain-based flours, but it’s context-dependent. You can use it in place of breadcrumbs in your meatballs, to dredge a piece of chicken, or to thicken a sauce or stew.  You may not use it for Paleo baking—to make muffins, pancakes, bread, cupcakes, cookies, waffles, biscuits, tortillas, pizza crust, or anything of that nature. We call those recipes Sex With Your Pants On (SWYPO) foods, and they are expressly off-limits during your Whole30.

Hi everyone!

I peeped in yesterday but didn't have time to write,  and now here we are all ready to go again  . I too have had a lovely Christmas, able to be with family, the little ones now of an age to bring back the magic.  

I'm checking out my freezer tomorrow, but I've been hoarding stock, so I  know I have plenty to start with.    Just like starting a new term at school I have bought a new project notebook and pen too :).   Tina, your weight loss is brilliant.  I'll be getting on the scale the day we start, my daughter said I look like I'm still loosing but I think it was an optical illusion because of what I was wearing. I have eaten pretty sensibly over the hols; as much to protect my gall bladder as anything, though certainly I've had small treats too, in fact last night at work was my worst day/night as I found myself hoovering up the junk  in the staff room.  

Lori, I too love your new pic.   You must be exhausted straight back from hols into a set of 5.    How lovely your news is about your family moving nearer.   

Donna, I catch up on sleep on my nights off, often having a couple of stretches where I'll go to bed at 10'ish and not surface 'til perhaps after 8!   Your job sounded very interesting from the safety of my sofa... I can imagine though there were some very negative things you had to deal with.  How funny about the signature quote Tina, I like the one about the body/brain too, that is really true. 

Shannon, thank you for popping in with the info about almond flour - I recalled reading that when you pointed it out but it got lost out of my brain, being able to use it that way will add a new dimension this time round, because I never did the first time. 

I'm on 'nights off' now 'til New Years Eve and not too many commitments at all, other than a family walk in the country on Tuesday, with a stop at a café at the end of it for a warming bowl of soup.    The weather is crisp and icy today I hope it is the same then.

I think we are all due an amazing 2015, take care all, C x

Lori what a nice Picture that is.  i must have been typing when you posted because I didn't see it. You both look very pretty.  They really take nice pics on the ship. That's great your son is moving closer.  Grandchildren are so much fun.

I am going to make a batch of the breakfast meatballs and a batch of Asian meatballs.  I will have the Asian ones in a spaghetti type sauce with zucchini noodles.  I want to freeze some of both kinds for emergency's. I am also going to make some sweet potato hash and some salmon patties.

I need to make some mayo and I have bone broth simmering now.

Tina when I use avocado oil for the mayo it comes out really thick and strong tasting.  Do you have that happen? Do you use a whole egg or just the yolk?

I also had forgotten if we could have almond flower and almond milk.  I don't think I did on the first whole 30 but am very glad small amounts are ok. I think I started making the  almond milk after I was done with the 30

Hi everyone !    Donna - yes the avocado mayo is thicker, but I don't think much stronger tasting... (not sure if they make a 'light' avocado oil   I get the 9.99 bottle at Costco.   I do like the flavor better than the olive oil.    Oh and I got a stick blender for Christmas (thank you Tina) and made my mayo with that instead of the blender and it worked Perfectly !!

the thing with almond milk is making sure no sugar... I don't like it without the sugar - so I just don't drink it !

I'm ready too for another W30-  I have noticed a change in my body with the added sugar - so I have decided that I am going to do my darnest after this next 30 to keep added to sugar to the barest of barest.  (pecan pie, brownies, almond milk,  ice cream -  yah that tasted good !!)

will check in later

Tina did you use a whole egg or just the yolk to make the mayo.

My bone broth turned out great this time.  More gelatinous then usual .I made the sweet potato hash and some zucchini soup.

I am going to check out a co-op store we have here in town.  Supposed to be local farmers and ranchers.  It's $20.00 a year to join and if you volunteer 2 hours a week you get 10% of of your purchase and a discount on special orders.  May be less expense then whole foods even if I don't volunteer.

I went shopping with my Granddaughter Monday and we found some good deals at Costco.  Compliant chicken meatballs and sausage.  I am going shopping with my daughter tomorrow.  My daughter is stressing a little like I did in the beginning.  Making it harder then it is. I realized after a week or two I was making it harder then I needed to. My Granddaughter is going with the flow and it's not a big deal to her.  It's funny how we all handle it so different and make it harder or easier on ourselves.

Did you all have a period of time before it hit you/ hey I can do this it's not that hard.

Are any of you doing anything special to prepare?

Last look- in this year!  

Donna, I have been a stress-head about starting again this time, your post made me realise that!   After all, it's simply eat veggies, protein, a little fruit and good fat - where's the hard?  Shop the outer edges of the supermarket where the fresh produce is, use frozen veg in emergencies, cook twice the amount so there is always lovely left-overs.... 

I must remember not to overcomplicate it like I did at the beginning of my first, not to buy exotic veg that will waste my budget  etc!  A really really simple template  I have thought of will be to keep meal one the same as usual - eggs; added tomato mushroom spinach and peppers if my stomach in the morning allows.  Meal 2  - this is going to be a cold month, so soup; good broth and loads of added whatever is in season veggies, with some shredded meat for protein and extra coconut oil.   Meal 3 -   Cottage pie or roasted meat or casserole (stew) + vegetables again.    If I need an extra meal - like when working I'll find leftovers or some nut-fruit combo, maybe I'll drink coconut milk. Though I didn't do that last time.  

I saved all my original 'Whole 30 dailies', so I'll resurrect those too.....    It's only 30 days!

Have a Happy Healthy and  Peaceful New Year everyone,

C x 

Good morning. I see everyone is getting ready. I'm excited we are all doing this together. I cooked a beef tip roast yesterday with horseradish and tonight will stick a pork loin and sauerkraut in the crock pot. Add some vegetables with fats and I'm good. Friday I'm off so I'll do some more prep work. Make some meatballs and sausage

I got a spiralizer for my holiday gift so I'm looking forward to using that and it seems in the past the crock pot was my friend

I think my mind is ready to go and I have a great support group. Slowly I have cleaned out my pantry and refrigerator. So for me I think I am ready

I wish you all a happy new year, with health and happiness in the year to come

hi Ladies -  Donna I used the whole egg.  I also use apple cider vinegar instead of lemon juice

You all are getting a head start on me !   I will be cooking tomorrow and over the weekend... some how I have been suckered into watch mr grandson on Sat night, so that throws a mini wrench into the works - but it will all work out.

Donna - that is wonderful that you are helping your kids to get set up right -  No need to stress like you and Chrissie have stated... just do simple - then once you get the hang of it - expand !

I have some gr pork on hand and some broth..  I keep intending on making the sw potato soup - so maybe I will get off my keester and just make it !  

today I could really use some broth (but it is all frozen)  woke in the middle of the night with some major stomach distress.. and was racking my brain as to what may have caused the issue..   I ate some ice cream after my compliant meal...  :(   not sure if that was the issue or if there was something else.

I have made myself some onion dip with the mayo, so I can have some "dip" w/ my chips for tonights celebration,  but if my stomach doesn't get better I won't be eating much of anything.

I hope that everyone has a great New Years Eve

Happy New Year Eve everybody.  Shopping went well except it was very crowded.  I wasn't thinking about it being New Years Eve.

Well my daughters husband and Univ age daughter that lives at home are doing whole 30 also so that will help them all.

Tina I  used a recipe that only called for the yolk in the mayo and that may be why is is so thick.  Next time I will use the whole egg.  Hope you are feeling better this afternoon.

A Happy New Year to all.

Lovely new pic of you Donna, with ? Mr Donna.   Enjoy being a mentor to your girls!    My W30 is starting tomorrow, I have eaten badly at work - not quite head in gear, we were very busy is my excuse, and my daughter has invited us all to have tea at hers.  I had not told her I was starting again so compliant food may be a bit limited - ok, very limited!  

Tina I hope your tummy has improved, there is a surge of gastric flu here, people are dropping like flies (hence the very busyness of work)

Lori you are nearly on your days off, you will be spiralising every veg you can find :)?  Do let us know how you get on with it.    I've bought myself a julienne peeler in the sales - that's my new gadget and it is still sitting in the drawer!  

New Year Resolutions anyone?   Apart from the usual  self improvement and save the planet ones, I resolve to use a smaller handbag so my husband uses his pockets to carry his stuff instead of my bag  (he won't use a man-bag :D)

I hope you all get off to a better start than me! :rolleyes: 

Good morning all.  Thanks Chrissie  Yes that is Mr. D. His name is Doug we have been together for 14 years. Before that I had been married for 32 years.

My New Years Resolution is to get back to my exercising and making it a priority like it used to be.  I don't know why it is such a problem it used to be easy.

My daughter and her family are starting tomorrow.  She didn't feel prepared for today. My Granddaughter and I are starting today.

Lori did you get one of the spiralizer's  (spelled wrong) that is cone shaped with holes at each end or did you get the bigger one that like stands on it's own while you turn a crank.  I have the cone shaped one but the other one looks really nice.  I just don't have room for more kitchen stuff. Mine works fine just a little hard on my thumbs and wrist.

M1  sweet potato hash, 2 eggs. wilted spinach and avocado.  water and tea  M2  Ground beef patty, spinach arugula with pomegranate seeds and avocado or olives and 1/2 an apple.  M3  Roast chicken with roasted root veggies. Ghee or coconut oil on veggies while roasting.

Happy New Year.  I stayed up to watch the ball drop last night and when my alarm went off at 5:30 for work it was an ugh moment.  I would have preferred to sleep in!  Oh well, Ill just carry on. 

I am going to try and get in some exercise.  I did not keep up with this the first round of whole 30.  Right now my goal is 3 times a week doing a little weight lifting, and some treadmill or elliptical.  I also wouldn't mind finding a yoga class at the gym.

As for my spiralizer, it is from Williams and Sonoma, and I have to get it out of the box.  It is still under the tree.  So I will give you a full report tomorrow Donna.  I know it has 4 blades.  I did enjoy meeting Mr D. (I liked how Chrissie put that!)  Sounds like you are off to a good start too Donna.

Chrissie, I giggled at the idea of your husband and a man purse.  I will say at least all of their trousers usually have pockets.  I found on the cruise I did not have a dress purse and some nights I just did not know what to do with my room key.  Good luck with the julienne peeler.  I know many recipes say it can be done by hand, but I found when I tried to do a whole butternut squash by hand I was  exhausted!  Maybe you are made of better stock then me. 

Tina, I hope you too are having a good new's years day.  I look forward to hearing from you too!

Well off to eat my M2, I have to say my tummy thinks it is hungry.  I will be glad to put the cravings back to rest!

I am off and running though with day 1

M1 2 eggs, pork, asparagus, red onion and mixed mushrooms, sautéed in some ghee.  Also some mixed berries.

M2 Roast, sweet potato with ghee and green salad with olive oil dressing

M3 Pork and sauerkraut, spinach, and a clementine 

hello Everyone !  and Happy Happy New Year !!

So today was very plain kind of day ... Last night had my last whopla - and my stomach protested !  had some chocolate chip cookies, chips and dip and pizza, pistacio fluff (spelled wrong)    also had a terrible leg cramp that woke me with a jolt out of dead sleep.

I did not eat as well as I would have - but I did stay compliant.

M1 was eggs and potato hash and an orange

M2 - was not hungry - so didn't eat
M3  was not a meal but rather eating on what I was cooking.

Made Asian meatballs from Nom Nom Paleo ( with some modification - of course)  I didn't have any fish sauce so I used Coconut aminos, and didn't make a full recipe  oh and I used gr pork instead of beef.  oh yah  and used mashed sw potatoes instead of dicing them....  Basically -  LOL - the recipe was similar  is what I am saying !!

Brooke gave me the thumbs up.

Also made another chicken broth batch, and then made sw potatoe soup w/ Lebanese seasonings (well Fed2)  again cut the batch in half - still pretty strong flavor with the seasoning - but I think I should be able to stomach it.   I may end up adding more sw potato to it.

Tomorrow  I will stay on track better.

Donna - I use the mayo recipe from well fed.. the clothes make the girl, and it is in "It starts with Food"  (under finishing touches) You use a whole egg, 2 T of acid (lemon /lime/vinegar) 1/2 tsp dry mustard, 1/4 c oil.  (let the egg and vinegar come to room temp before making it) then blend that and then drizzle in 1c oil... slowly  -  very slowing. 

I am going to weigh myself tomorrow  and Monday (scale is at work) and will take some measurements.

I like the picture Donna - you look happy !

augghh  - back to having hungry pains at 10:30.    :(   Had a rough morning - dog decided to use her kennel as a bathroom for both bodily functions  - Didn't even whine to be let out so I was VERY frustrated and annoyed that I had to spend my precious morning minutes dealing with that.. sorry to give TMI first thing in the morning.  BUT it throws off your day - and now my stomach is growing because of it !

M1 was skimpy today - 2 fried eggs over a miniscual salad  - really it was spinach w/ some avocado.

M2  will be meatballs and asparagus

I MUST stop at the market get veggies - and more stuff to make more meatballs.. I have to really be prepared for 2 meals at work starting next week.   I am thinking salads and then a soup w/ a protein.  

I am going to make a stew, and chicken mulligatawny stew (well fed2) which looks really good.  So Brooke is being so picky with food lately - I think I will try to make 2 versions of stew.  She seems to eat gr beef.. so I think I will make one w/ gr beef.  and the other with chuck roast

if any of you have any suggestion for a picky eater PLEASE SHARE !.  I have to figure out how to get protein into her !  and cut down on the carbs...   the joys of motherhood  !

Tina I have to laugh at your Asian meatball story.  I was going to make it yesterday also and didn't have cilantro so I had to wait until today when I could go out and get some.  I am also laughing at myself.  I am not a confident or imaginative cook and you completely change some of the recipes.  You don't let not having half the ingredients stop you.  Lol  I wish I could do that although I have gotten better about throwing things together since whole 30.  I don't know what I think will happen. So we don't like it once and a while that's not a big deal. That happens sometimes when I follow a recipe.

I just looked up the Mulligatewny stew and it does look good. 

So how is everybody doing. I don't know why I go off this plan. I think maybe I stop planning as much after the 30 so I end up just grabbing something and it is not as satisfying as the meals we have on the plan.  I enjoy the food so much more on plan.

Donna ~  I was just going to come on tell everyone that you MUST try the Mulligatewny stew - it is cooking right now on the stove top and smells delish

Yes  I change recipes - which sometimes is bad... I TRY to make the recipe the original way - but I can't help myself.   Like this stew... I know (from making her other recipes ) that I don't like as much spice as she does.. I use the spices but decrease the amount I use.    if you aren't a big cilantro person - you can leave it out of the recipe -  and I didn't use as much because Brooke claims she doesn't like it  oh  and I used dried cilantro too. (there I go again !! )  for the Asian meatballs.

I also think planning is the hardest - and I too just grab if I'm not prepared.  So how does your man feel about the Whole 30 ?  is he supportive ??

You must be Brave and try following your tastes - You can do it !

PS   just took a bite of the stew..... oooooohhhh  yah Delish Delish Delish !.  it is so easy and simple you all have to try it

Tina I will try the stew.  Probably on Sunday or Monday. I am going to use chicken breast. I don't care for thighs.

I have the Asian meatballs for tomorrow.  It's funny I always use all the spices because sometimes things taste bland then I have to add Aleppo pepper when I eat it. I made the silky zucchini soup and it is pretty bland.  It will be a good one for breakfast.

Doug is fine about whole 30.  He still gets stuff he wants and his snacks.  I actually cook more when I am on it since I can't have a BLT or pizza or Mexican food.

Well I got through today by gritting my teeth. Actually wasn't really hard til dinner time and then I simply waited too long. Lesson learned. Eat on my usual schedule.

This morning I slept in a bit, though last night I was up nearly every hour to go to the bathroom. I'm sure getting rid of some of the inflammation. Then I took down all the holiday stuff, and of course I've got to clean. Then Casey and I relaxed to watch a couple of episodes of once upon a time. We are working our way through season two.

Then when she went home I planned to run a few errands and cook. Except I didn't get back home until 8:30. By then I was starving and I didn't feel at all like cooking. I was going to grab a rotisserie chicken at the grocery, but hidden ingredients! It is not easy to just grab something. Thought about just scrambling some eggs. In the end I got some chipotle salad, barbacoa, tomatoes and guacamole. Hit the spot. I just hope there were no hidden surprises.

So here's my lineup. M1 sweet potatoe with sausage, onion broccoli with an egg over easy cooked in coconut oil. M2 stir fried broccoli, snow peas and carrots with leftover beef roast cooked in olive oil with a clementine. M3 as above, plus an apple

I will try to touch base tomorrow when I'm at a computer. Typing one fingered on my phone. Off to bed for me.

Tina, lovely updated pic of you, too!   I bet you were sooo mad at your little mucky pup, was she poorly?  It's rare for an animal to soil their bed area.  

Well ladies, I'm still struggling to start; yesterday was a day one that was fine until about 4 this morning.   I had made a delicious soup,  had it at home enriched with avocado oil at tea, and took loads more to see me through work with some roast turkey breast - except I forgot to pack the oil.   All there was at work I could use was butter.  That's not compliant as we know, so my first bowl  at midnight was fat-free.   So I got hungry ...  you guys know the rest - hunger, no accessible food does not a good eating plan make. 

What was worse was the mental turmoil, the 'I don't have to do this' thoughts, the 'well I can tweak it' thoughts.  But a tweaked 30 is not a 30.   I feel reluctant to give up my natural yoghurt which was very soothing to my digestion when my gall bladder was at it's worst, so I've ordered some probiotic capsules off the net hoping they will substitute.   I will be ok, I'll do this,  it maybe not today or next week...I'm not going to beat myself up because that is the very worst thing I can do.     I'm not planning to fail, I'm planning to succeed, I'm just going to be a couple of days behind everyone.  

Today may be Day One The Third; work's over for 4 days, there is plenty of good food in the house and nothing bad other than my husband's snacks which don't appeal to me...  and I've still go my julienne peeler to test - though I think I'll start with something soft like a courgette!  

All this mental stuff is probably something biological,  me being hyper sensitive from the overconsumption of poison this past week.  

I'll just keep reading your post's until I get re-inspired, which leads us back to the different names for food we keep running into.... (I still don't fancy a turtle sundae :)) Lori, what's barbacoa, and Donna, Alpeppo pepper?

Tina, how about letting your picky eater plan her own weeks menu - or is that likely to end up a budget-buster?  

Well, this laggard is off to fry eggs and mushrooms  - that's  a compliant meal 1, perhaps the first step of 90  (3 meals a day x 30 days)    Somehow 90 meals does not sound as taxing as 30 days, ha-ha! Maybe I'm re-inspired already........

C x

Archived