More Changes to Come

Tina Marie

Well folks, it is confession time, my 'best' turns out to be rubbish.  :( :(.  Early morning  at work (just under 12 hour shifts Lori, but only paid for 10 hours 40, as breaks are unpaid - as if you could go anywhere in the middle of the night)   and I dove face first into a pot of custard.  I have no idea why. I so admire all of you for staying strong in the face of temptation.  I think I have managed 3 days that I know were totally compliant, the couple of meals I had out I chose compliant but at the back of my head were worries that I had not been . 

I do know that although this may not 'be hard'; when you are not in the right place in your head it is exceedingly frustrating.   I am turning back into a split personality arguing with myself all the time about food, even when being compliant I am worrying I'll mess up, which I just have done - self fulfilling prophesy? .  There is no sense of joy or pleasure in my food just stress to get it right too.  So I guess it's not the right time for me at the moment, and I am giving myself permission to step off the playing field onto the sideline.  I'm still going to eat sensibly and cleanly as possible, in fact now I am removing rules for me to rebel against I'll probably be fine.   I still am not having cake on my birthday mind, and I'm still going to check in for the gossip   ;)!

Donna, having time with my littlest one was a joy, she was being so funny.  My two wee boys are adorable too.  I'm so blessed with my family.  I hope you don't get laid too low with the lurgy.

Off to do the chores now, then another nap before night 2.

I hope my caving in does not wreck it for the rest of you, like 'if she can I can' !

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chrissie - I fully believe that you have to do "what you have to do"  it if stressful and not enjoyable - then there is no sense in doing it.  Life is too short !  it is kinda of ironic that you decided this - at this moment-  reason:   I just talked to my vet last night about Josie and he said those exact words  "if it is causing so much stress that your life is not enjoyable (or Josie's) then there is no sense in keeping it up  Life is too short"

Take every day in stride - and enjoy it !!   We will all be here for you - cheering you on no matter what !

Still a chilly day here, but at least the sun is shining.  Had to go out for a 7:30 am class and unfortunately hit the snooze too many times and did not have time to make breakfast before I went.  This could have spelled disaster.  My mind could not think fast enough to think of something I could grab and eat in the car.  In the end I waited until I got back home, made a new batch of sausage, then cooked onions, peppers, sausage with and egg scrambled in coconut oil topped with cilantro, salsa and avocado.  Really hit the spot.  By the time I was finished my kitchen was a mess!  Portioned out my bone broth, froze some, now I will make the rest into Leftover roast chicken soup with roasted vegetables, a recipe from Danielle Walker's blog.  Not sure what I am doing for dinner yet.  Eating in or out.  I am all alone today/tonight a rare event, and I don't quite know what to do with myself.  I need a friend/buddy to do things with, but between my work and time with daughter, there is not much time to nurture a friendship.  In the past my partner has been my friend.  These are the moments I feel a bit lonely.

Tomorrow is my birthday, and so far the only plan is to go see the Hobbit with Casey.  I am planning to forego the cake.  But actually I would also light the treat of say a nice steak and a glass of wine.  To me that sounds more appealing than the cake.  But I am going to try and hold strong.

Chrissie. I most certainly hope you stick with us, I so love hearing your stories.  You can only be where you can be at this moment.  This process is supposed to improve our health, certainly not cause us more stress.  We too do not get paid for our lunch break, so a 12 hour shift is actually a 12.5 hour shift.  If per chance we have to work through our lunch because its busy we can say that we had no lunch, but the boss types don't really like that!  To be honest for that long of a shift we do need a break.  In a job like mine though I am to be available at all times, even when I have to go to the bathroom.  I really hate having to answer my phone in the bathroom, but I have no choice.  Hang in there, you will know when you are ready.

Well I am off to run some errands, the library has a new paleo book waiting for me and I have to renew my drivers license.  Will check back later

Yes Chrissie I echo what Tina said and you said it yourself you may do better if your not stressing about food all the time.  I hope you will not only read but step in and talk to us. You may know a rule or have some advice for us that you remember that you can remind us of if we are struggling with something. You don't have to be doing it full on to have good advice.

When is your birthday the 10th??? It seems like that's a date one of you mentioned.

Well I am not going to yoga today. Will do some hip exercises at home.

I found another meat market. It's in another town probably 45 min away. They sell pastured meat from ranchers that are there on the outskirts of town and they are about $2.00 cheaper a pound then whole foods. Some items more then that.

My daughter that is on whole 30 and was a chemo nurse where I had my chemo is now a case worker. She goes around to several towns surrounding our area to the nursing homes. More money less stress and less time out of her home.  She can do a lot of the work from home. Anyway I can place orders when she knows she is going and she can pick it up for me.

NIght before last I had something good. You bake a sw potato cut it in half and cover it with a compliant sloppy joe mixture. It was really tasty.

I am going to have bacon, eggs, and butternut squash soup with avocado for meal on.  I don't know yet for other meals. I have leftovers.

Happy Birthday Lori   !!  I hope you have a wonderful day !   I want to see the Hobbit as well.

Chrissie - happy up coming birthday as well.... !

I agree with Lori - as I'm sure Ginger does as well... Chrissie - please continue to contribute to our happy little forum here.  I look forward to your tales - good or bad !   and  you are a wise woman and I appreciate all feedback.     Even if we weren't doing a Official  W30- we would still be here posting and getting support every day - so there really is no difference !

Ahh thank you all, I feel much better. Even your support to stand back a while is so helpful.   Of course I will still pop in!   You all have some great wisdom to share of life, as well of food.  

Well I've got to go face another shift, though at least I'm able to get to the bathroom Lori - as long as I pick my moment; there have been times my name has echoed down the corridor after me .....

I've taken every immunity support I can rustle up, we have a lot of D&V and a mutating flu virus to face - and we get told off if we exceed our sick leave allotment!! Human resources never factor in the environment we are working in.  Same for you Lori?

I feel really warm and supported by you all, it is a nice feeling :)  :)  Catch you later Cx

Happy Birthday Lori. So it was you. I remembered somebody saying the 10th.  Hope you have a special day.  Mine is the 19 and Chrissie isn't yours at the end of the month. 

Lori and Tina what States do you live in. I have forgotten. I think Amy that left us lived in Main and you all are having bad weather.  Be careful on the roads.

I am sore all over from coughing.  I found some gel pills for cough they help for a couple of hours but you only take them every 4 hours.  Most cough drops and syrups had sugar and other stuff in them.  I would like to have ACV in hot water with honey to coat my throat but that is out. I will just drink it without the honey.

Donna, get well soon; it's rough when you're doing your best to be healthy and the bugs still get you.   My b/day is tomorrow, I'm still working but going to have a tea with my family at a country inn , all traditional, log fires etc., and they do lovely roast dinners!  

We've had our first snowflakes this afternoon, nothing has lain. we are only a couple of miles off the coast so never get it as bad as further inland, but our councils always seem unprepared and are taken by surprise with the salt gritters on the roads never out until after the snow lies instead of before!

Tina have you made a decision how to deal with the pup?  when my children were small we had a dog that chose to soil around the house, I couldn't cope, she was otherwise a lovely natured dog and I didn't want to get rid of her but knew I had to.  I got in touch with an animal charity and they were able to get her rehomed on a farm so I was pleased about that.   

Keep warm my friends, C x

Happy Birthday Chrissie !  I hope your day is lovely !!

Lisa - I hope that you enjoyed your birthday as well !!  Even without cake  :)

Donna -  I think that in the case of a cold - if you need medicine- take it,,,  I would think that the honey in with acv - is better than fake sugar elsewhere. 

But kudos to you for staying true- even if you are miserable.

My date went well !   I had the salmon - and forgot to ask them to hold the glaze, (it was a bourbon glaze) but I am not beating myself up over it at all, I had a plain sweet potato instead of rice and broccoli.  It was very good.  My date was a very nice man and I am looking forward to seeing him again.  Met him on a online dating site -  Have been on and off this site for years, then got frustrated and my kids needed me more than I needed dates.  So I stopped.   Now I decided - time for Tina.   Turns out this gentleman owns one of my favorite Mexican restaraunts !!

He was understanding about the 'diet' and we joked about it - how a cheap date I am - no alcohol !

we will be going on another date, and I am curious as to what he decides to plan

Yesterday

M1 was hash with 3 fried eggs M2 - was more like snacking than a meal -(at hair salon- then shopping) meatballs and cut up veggies
m3 was the salmon

Today I am making Char Siu (Chinese bbq)  - Oh and my cousin said the Cinnamon Beef Stew is really good. So I think that might be on my list for the next recipe to try.

Also going to roast some rounds of cabbage - I've heard that is really tasty.  Also will bake some spaghetti squash and butternut, while the oven is on.

M1 is fried potatoes and left over steak

The first 30 - I didn't have any white potato- even though allowed, and this time have been eating them more- I think starting this week - I will cut those out again or atleast use them way less.

I have already decided - that I after this 30 I am going to reintro rice -  I always liked rice - BUT I am going to follow a Paleo life and they don't eat rice - but I want to be able to eat it if I decide on "that it is worth it "  like going out for Sushi - or Mexican  :D

I hope everyone has a lovely day - it is Playoff day here today  Packers vs Cowboys - and it will be a fun game to watch    We will see how the Texans like 20 degree weather.

PS  Donna I'm in Wisconsin

Good afternoon ladies. I thought I had made it through my birthday clear and free with good behavior. Though I did have a small pity party last night. But today I have failed. One of my fellow nurse practitioners arrived today with a homemade cake in my honor. It was a work of art! Chocolate with a cream cheese filling and salted caramel icing. Everyone sang happy birthday to me, then stood there waiting for me to start the serving and indulging. I couldn't find it in me to say no. And I will say, was it worth it? Yes. So I will just go on from here clean again

Chrissie, happy birthday to you today. Your birthday outing sounds absolutely lovely. I hope you have a very special day!

Tina, it sounds like you had a really lovely time out. Glad you you are having something special for yourself. I know what you mean about worth it. I was thinking about sushi just the other day. It isn't an every week kind of treat, but once in a while I really crave it. I too have been asking myself how can I make this my life. I know I feel really good when I eat clean, yet there are times I desire something off plan. I want it to be something I can live with for the rest of my days

Donna, hope you are not too under the weather. No fun being sick. I hope the crude isn't planning to pay me a visit. I have that little achy feeling today. To answer your inquiry, I live in Ohio.

Well it is a 24 hour shift today, so I better try to catch a nap. Have a great day all

Oh  Ladies - I am craving an ice cold Coke to go with my Char Sui....  it would be nice for some bubbly on my tongue !   I am tired of water - mineral -plain... tea isn't cutting It either.  What do you gems do ? 

The Char Sui turned out good - the sace was pretty thick so I thinned it with apple juice and no dried date so I put in 1/2 a frozen banana.  I think that I am going to make some of it into quesadillas for brooke - I think if I chopped the meat up fine enough that she may accept it ! 

OK - my battery is ready to die -so I think I will have to pop in tomorrow

Have a good night !

Good afternoon!   I did have a lovely outing yesterday with the family, just a shame I had to go back to work after.   Your colleagues sound lovely Lori, a shame they couldn't have come up with a non-food treat, but it's their way of showing love.   Since moving onto the sidelines my eating is actually ok, I'm choosing simple food, and the freedom from stressing is good. I'll just put me down as getting older....   Had the sutures out from biopsy this morning, there's only a small scar; at my age it could just be (another) wrinkle, ha-ha!   Also seen GP and yes, gallstone's confirmed but I've declined surgery for as long as possible  though if there's another flare  I'll have to think again.   Got usual advice to reduce saturated fats, and maybe reduce animal protein too.    I'm now thinking perhaps I ate too much meat while I did my first 30, I know I did struggle to do enough veggies sometimes.   Now I'm using digestive enzymes though I'm finding I can tolerate more veg, so maybe that's the way to go...   I still find myself attracted to white fish and natural yoghurt as somehow soothing, I'm letting my body wisdom choose.   I have also found a sauerkraut on amazon that tastes a lot milder than the polish variety our supermkt stocks, so I'll be able to take that now. 

Tina I find sparkling mineral water with a slice of lemon or lime helps for that fizz feeling?  I hope you don't kill any customers, and your new friend keeps out of the line of fire  :) :)! 

Donna, hope you get better soon.

I've just changed the bedding so really looking forwards to a soak in the bath then crawling into clean fresh sheets, bliss! 

Take care all Cx

Chrissie- glad that you are feeling better !

yesterday was ok - didn't take anyone's head off !   Have 2 hrs of OT to put in today, then back home for some messing around the house - maybe make Thank You cards, or clean  or maybe even just sit on my behind.  Then back to work this evening for some mentoring with the claims area, then off to dinner with my guy friend. 

Our date on Saturday was very nice - and I am looking forward to tonight, we have been chatting every day and seem to have quite a bit in common.  But you know that "romancing period"  - really won't know the real guy until we been in it for a while.  The last guy didn't show his true colors until we were about 6 mos into it.    (which is way better than being married and then finding out the hard way !!)

Need to go out and get more stuff for salads, some fresh cauliflower to make cauliflower rice.  Made the Char Sui into taco meat for brooke and she actually ate it !  so took the leftovers and made it into stuffing for stuffed peppers for her for tonights dinner.

I am having a burger tonight - at Red Robin (not sure if that is just a Wisconsin restaurant)   it has pretty good food.  Not entirely sure what they have for sides - but may just get a salad and the burger.

Ok  well off to do my OT~  hope everyone has a marvelous day

Sorry I missed your Birthday Chrissie. I haven't been on since my last post.  Happy late Birthday.  Your outing sounded wonderful.  A tea there is a grand sounding event to me. Did you have dinner or a tea menu type thing.

After my post on Saturday morning I got progressively worse. My throat hurt so bad I didn't care what was in something as long as it soothed it.  So I had honey with ACV or tea or lemon honey and coconut oil mixed. The last mixture was to help with the cough. I wasn't nauseous unless I thought about eating. I had no appetite so I couldn't think of anything that wouldn't gag me getting it down. My healthy food I liked a few days ago I couldn't eat and didn't feel up to cooking.  All I did was lay in my chair and cough and gag. Yuck.  I had about 1/2 cup of gluten free cereal and some bone broth a couple of times with a piece of gluten free toast w/ghee on Sunday. That was it. Saturday while I was getting sicker I was able to eat a little better but not great. I had usual breakfast just smaller. 1 hard boiled egg and sugar snap peas for lunch. Spinich w/hard boiled egg pomegranate seeds w/dressing for dinner.

It turned out to be the flu not a cold.

I am on prescription cough med and that has helped a lot. I am feeling better but not well.  I am going to try to eat some of the chicken curry soup I made last week. If not able then I will have a smoothie or bone broth and sugar snap peas for dinner. I had a smoothie today for lunch.

Lisa I am happy for you that he seems to be a nice person. It is so true that it takes a while to really know somebody and then you have to be pretty close for anything to happen. Close enough that it is very upsetting but like you said better then being married.

Lorrie I think you did the right thing about the cake.  How could you not. That was very kind of her.  I find it a little funny that we have all for one reason or another gone off plan about the same time. I have stopped using honey and plan to get right back on target.

Good evening all,

It's freezing cold but no snow here, although other places have quite a bit.  I'm glad to see you feeling better Donna.   There are times when being the best eaters in the world will not protect from sneaky viruses!  Hopefully you will be properly well for your birthday. 

I've had a lovely afternoon looking after my granddaughter, we wrapped up warm and went for a walk, she all snug in her buggy.   I've then worked off a few more calories returning the house to rights! 

Tina I hope the OT was not too bad (I'm assuming you mean overtime, not occupational therapy? :)) and you are right to enjoy your relationship as it is, knowing over time it will change - but hopefully it will change in a comfortable way, like a cosy pair of slippers.... or are you still too young to want cosy slippers, ha-ha!

Lori did your 24 go alright?  I hope that your 'achy' feeling didn't get any worse for you.    We are just finding out here the flu virus has mutated  so this year's vaccine essentially is ineffective.  I missed out on it when oc.health came round catching tardy staff, by being off sick anyhow; so I'm pleased I was not jabbed for nothing!

My eating is pretty good, I've got lamb casserole (stew), and little eggy muffin things with courgette leek and bacon. Not 99% W30, as I'm still having yoghurt - but a very healthy diet, free from processed stuff, legumes wheat and sugar  which is great as far as I am concerned.   

just going to cook some cauli now to cream in with white potato, then I'll top the casserole with that and brown it off in the oven. 

Hope you are all good as can be!

Hello my friends.  This week has been tough.  Seems I had a huge pity party following my birthday, then My 24 was rough with only a brief nap.  Seems I have been exhausted since.  I just can't seem to get back on track, and now I am going out of town for the weekend.  I will be staying two nights in a hotel and one night with my sister.  My goal is to relax, and not put too much pressure on myself to eat perfectly.  Then Monday when I return I want to return to whole. 

Tina, sounds like you are having some lovely times with the new fella.  It has encouraged me to explore a little.  Even just a buddy would be good. 

Chrissie, your casserole sounds lovely.  This flu has been indeed a bugger, and I am hearing the flu shot totally missed the mark this year.  So far the achy feelings have not developed into anything major, just a little post nasal drip. 

Donna, I hope you are on the mend. 

Off to pack and finish some laundry.  Hope everyone have a lovely weekend.

Lori - I hope you have a lovely weekend -  Relaxation sounds like that is exactly what you need.  I wouldn't worry about your intake of nutrients - Just enjoy yourself.     the online dating has been hit or miss- and some are out there just for hook ups.. which I didn't want any part of !

Yes - it seems that we are hitting it right off... going to see each other again on Saturday evening.   He is now doing a weightloss challenge with his employees for the next 2 months, so he is all about eating good now.  (we will see if that continues !)  He was shocked that I don't eat snacks anymore..

Chrissie - your stew sounds lovely - I think I will make another stew, my last one turned out so good.  and it morphed into many different meals - which is always handy.

I made prosciutto egg muffins, from NomNom Paleo, turned out pretty good,  I filled it with broccoli, mushrooms, shredded spinach.  I didn't realize the proscioutto was pretty salty and I salted the eggs so it was a tad salty.

Also made a cabbage bowl again for lunch and dinner,  gr beef, sw potatoes, mushrooms, cabbage and coconut milk.  Was almost in a panic - because I had no clue what to bring to work for lunch & dinner... then I got my brains about me and threw the cabbage bowl together.

I am feeling slightly disorganized-  and I work tomorrow so I don't have time tomorrow to do some major cooking.... so that will have to wait until Sunday

Donna - hoipe you are doing well

Hello all, just pottering along doing our best in a crazy world!   This morning for the first time in ages I had a slice of 'mass produced' white bread - served routinely to our patients; finished my shift, went off to bed and woke with a headache and stuffed nose and feeling thoroughly unrested.   It's not a bug, because it has passed, but it tells me I have been eating ok if not perfect to react so quickly to something.    I am happiest eating 'clean' but with a little dairy ( I've noticed some 'paleo' peeps do accept dairy, others accept some grain).  I think grain is my undoing.... ok, I know it is, and that is what I need to watch.  I guess we all have to just work out what works for us.  

Lori, I hope you pick up soon, and soon find a special friend.   They say there is someone for everyone - we just don't know where they are or when we are due to meet!   Enjoy your weekend :)

Tina and Donna, hope you are both ok too, soon be your birthday Donna hope you are well enough to really enjoy yourself. 

We have booked a mid-week  mini break over in the Lake district for the beginning of February.  A lovely inn on the Lakeside, very cosy in the midst of the fells.  It's just a couple of hour drive to get there but we never think of going for a day outing as there is so much to see once we are there a day is never long enough!  Well, the cats are yelling they want their tea so for the sake of peace I better go serve them!      Keep warm over there, it'll soon be spring!  

Good morning all.... I'm hoping another slow day here at work - but we will see.

M1 today was 2 prosciutto egg muffins, M2 & 3 are going to be leftover Char Sui over broccoli and cauliflower. 

I took out chicken broth to make the zucchini soup and the bag had a hole in it and I lost half of my broth ...grr  so glad I put it in a pot to thaw in.   I guess I will just make 1/2 a batch then.  ;)

Last night I tried to give my cat a bath - yah that didn't go so well.  She is sick and has not been cleaning herself.  We are not able to find out what is wrong with her, she is 13 and it is not looking good.  I just spent 178 just to find out there is nothing wrong with the blood work.  She has been steadily declining since right before my birthday.    It has been a sad few days.

So far on this 30 -  I have finally noticed that I am sleeping better - except for last night - last night was rough.. too many thoughts going through my head to sleep good

Luckily - the strep has not gotten to me - just feeling tired and a little worn out. but I think that is because of trying to decide what is best for my kitty.

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend - today it is 35 !  too bad I can't be out enjoying it - a nice walk would feel good

Tina, sending loving cuddles to your pet, hope she recovers herself; 13 is not too old for a cat and if her bloods have come back clear it's not her kidneys failing or anything. This is the difficult thing about giving our hearts to pets - or anything - there is always some anxiety or other along with the bucket loads of love. 

We were below freezing this morning with a light snowfall and I had to scrape the car, never a joy after a heavy night (or I suppose when you've just crawled out of bed either!)  I had to go on a converter for your temperature, because when we were metricised back in the sixties, our temps went Celsius too.   Whatever, it must be a degree warmer now because it is raining and so it is grey outside rather than sparkling.   Hibernation time!  

Hope you are enjoying your weekend Lori, and getting the relaxation you wanted.

Donna it's nearly your birthday - in case you needed reminding :), I hope you are well, and your family have lots of non food treats in store.

Good afternoon !

Cooking again today - got a stew started, will be making spaghetti squash fritters, meatloaf. Boiled eggs are done and cooling. Also making the Silky Zucchini soup.  Never did put the stuffed peppers together ~ so am going to get those together and freeze them.  Brooke has been eating the stuffing on chips and torillas this week so I know she won't want stuffed peppers.  They freeze well - so she can have them another day (and maybe after this 30 is done- I can have them as well )

Chrissie - thank you for your kind  words concerning my kitty.  She is declining rapidly - the vet suspects possible tumor. There is definitely something wrong because she can't eat normally.   I have decided that on Tues - we will be putting her down.  I can't watch her suffer any longer, and I know she is suffering greatly.

This upcoming weekend is my daughter's 21 birthday - I will be taking little man for the weekend.  I think we will be going to the kids museum, and the camper show is going on -so I would like to hit that up too.

The weather has warmed up for us  30's !  so that is a spirit lifter !  I would be happy if is stays like this for the rest of the winter.

Chrissie - for your windshield on your car -  I got a shield that goes over the windshield (on the outside of course) and it is held in place with the doors.  It is a life saver !  no scraping or sweeping snow off.   Maybe you can get something like that.  My best investment ever for my vehicles !!

well I hope all is well with you Donna, and Lori I hope your relaxing weekend was just that.

Happy Birthday Donna, have a great day :).  

Tina, hope you have a fab weekend with little man; me and my hubby still love camper shops, wandering round pretending we are still young and fit ha-ha!  A sadness for your wee cat but if she is suffering, then you have no choice.   I'll look into the windshield thingy, thanks.

I look at the menus you girls post and realise how unadventurous I am over my food, but maybe that's a cultural thing, there is comfort in the meals we know. 

This morning I'm out for coffee with my daughter and her children and an unsuspecting friend of mine is meeting us too so my ears will ache by this afternoon.  Then  off to medical appointments with hubby, one for him one for me.  

Don't tell anyone but tomorrow I have a day with nothing planned other than grandson #1 coming for tea because now he is at full time nursery I don't do as much child care with him.  what will I do with that gift of time?! 

Welcome back Lori, hope you feel rejuvenated!

OOOOO  I want a cookie !!!!!  or chips   or anything BAD for me .. RIGHT NOW !

ok -  enough of that. 

M1 was zucchini soup w/ 2 boiled eggs.  (the eggs didn't peel well - so maybe it was actually 1.5 eggs)

M2 was stew

M3  spaghetti squash fritters and a slice of meatloaf.

I am going to be working new hours until 3/1 8-4:30..  which is nice - so I'm going to be able to take another yoga class on Wed nights.  that is wonderful for me !

so the gentleman I was seeing - made it to date #3, and today got a text "sorry- but just not getting that "feeling".  so back to square one...  

I didn't get more meats when I went shopping - so I'm feeling a little deprived and I think that is why I want something other than healthy.  I like the idea of different options for a protein.

How is everyone doing ?

Chrissie sounds like you got a handle on it ! whether it is an official 30 or not !!

Archived